Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I've had the chance to visit several Victory & HD dealers across TX. With the exception of Strokers Dallas, most of the Victory dealers offer little to no real customer service. To make matters worse, most of the parts & technical folks know very little about Victory or how to customize one for their customer's needs!

Victory stores have next to nothing as far as Victory gear. Why? HD probably sells more $$$ in gear than they do bikes! Heck, HD now offers their own LED light bar kit (3 LED lights) that equal the brightness of a HID light. Does Victory offer that? No!

HD puts on an impressive show with their buildings. All of their sales and technical personnel appear to at least know what they are selling and what will & will not fit their bikes. They also had a decent inventory of each model - Victory doesn't seem to do that.

Now, I'm not going to rush right out & buy a HD, but I will certainly consider all the issues I've had with my Victory! Has anyone else experienced the same things? Victory builds a great bike - why is it so difficult for Victory dealers to step it up and actually provide their customers something worthy on a human level?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I share your sentiments about Victory customer service. The few dealers that are close to me have something to be desired with regard to being helpful. Even when I called customer service at the Victory home office, terribly unhelpful. Love my Kingpin, but I'm pretty much on my own when it comes to answering questions (or use this forum).

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Some Victory dealerships are defintely lacking but in their defense it takes a fortune to stock a store full of trinkets that you hope to recoup your money on. HD on the other hand has very strict requirements for its dealers and carrying a lot of flash is one of them. You'll probably find the both Victory and HD dealers carry some hard parts but you will have to order 90% of what you need if you have a problem.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Dont get blown away with HDs service and show.I have owned HDs for over 25yrs and would never let one of their geek techs touch my Shovelhead (1972 FLH).All the smoke and mirrors they put on is just a scheme to milk the customers out of cash.I dont even go to a HD dealer to get parts they dont have any for my bike.
Now as for Polaris and Victory.I knew how the dealer network and customer service was before getting my Vic.Rode Polaris ATVs for years and loved them.But...............I had to learn how to maintain and work on them myself.I plan on and have been doing the same with my V92TC. If and when I get to a point I cant do something on it I have found a couple of good shops within 100 mi and one pi$$ poor one within 40mi.100mi trip isnt bad for good work.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
HD has had a giant head start in the accessory department compared with Victory. You can dress your dog in HD clothes, but why the hell would you? :confused:

I hear you about the customer service issue, but I'm lucky to have two other local sources to feed my need.

But truthfully, I didn't take any of that into consideration when I decided to buy my first Victory and I won't sweat it when I buy my next one either. :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Dude! HD has been in this business for over 100 YEARS! basically the only American made bike.... Of coarse they have more of everything! They damm well better. Give Vic a lil credit, its been over 10 years for them...not too bad really......
I dont let any dealer work on any bike i have unless i absolutely have too! Have had my HD in 3 different dealers in 3 different states. They all sucked! The 1st time, the brandy new Screaming beagle pipes just fell off the bike when i got it home....FELL OFF THE BIKE ONTO THE FLOOR! when i went to put in on the stand...Not sure how they didnt come off on the ride home at 60 mph. I like wrenching on my own bike anyway. If you want something done right, do it your self, and learn something to boot!

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
My Victory dealer has great customer service and an increasing supply of trinkets.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Same for me. Locomotion powersports been selling vids since they started, nice guys great service. I have a dealer 2 miles from me, I wont go to them I'll take the 30 mile trip instead

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
We, here in Portland, have two very good, helpful and enthusiastic Vic dealers. That was an interesting apples and oranges comparison Gadgetman. When I bought my XR, I researched at great length for a bike that will work for me and fill my requirements. That did not include an extensive wardrobe or can the dealer customize my bike, cuz I know which end of the screwdriver is the handle and I can do it myself. I can fill pages with Harley horror stories just from this area.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Recently, I've had the chance to visit several Victory & HD dealers across TX. With the exception of Strokers Dallas, most of the Victory dealers offer little to no real customer service. To make matters worse, most of the parts & technical folks know very little about Victory or how to customize one for their customer's needs!

Victory stores have next to nothing as far as Victory gear. Why? HD probably sells more $$$ in gear than they do bikes! Heck, HD now offers their own LED light bar kit (3 LED lights) that equal the brightness of a HID light. Does Victory offer that? No!

HD puts on an impressive show with their buildings. All of their sales and technical personnel appear to at least know what they are selling and what will & will not fit their bikes. They also had a decent inventory of each model - Victory doesn't seem to do that.

Now, I'm not going to rush right out & buy a HD, but I will certainly consider all the issues I've had with my Victory! Has anyone else experienced the same things? Victory builds a great bike - why is it so difficult for Victory dealers to step it up and actually provide their customers something worthy on a human level?
Victory dealers in New England have been pretty good. MOMs South in Foxborough is awesome. I don't know much about Harley dealers but they do seem to put up a nice environment.

·
Registered
693 Posts
There are a few reasons for this. Namely, Harley dealers are just Harley dealers nearly every time. They have the volume to do that. Victory dealers, however, are almost always existing dealerships that sold and continue to sell other brands/items and added Victory to their lineup. I'm sure there are some that are different, but the vast majority of dealerships that sell Victory ADDED Vic to their lineup.

As for the trinkets and such, that's because of mental real estate...and Harley owns it. Victory riders want to buy Victory gear, but no one else. Riders of all brands and even non riders often buy HD gear...and NO brand that I'm aware of on this planet has owners that buy up trinkets at the same level. No one can compare to HD in this realm...they're an anomaly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
IMO finding a good Vic. dealer's really no more of a crapshoot than a decent Harley shop other than they're fewer and farther beween.I just spent 8 days riding around Id,Ut,Co,SD,Wy with 4 guys on Harleys.Out of a dozen or so HD shops only 1 impressed them.The dealer in Glennwood Springs Co. even shut the door in their face @ 3 in the afternoon on a Tues.,hard to believe the week before Sturgis.I was shopping for a new rear tire along the way. 2 so called Vic. shops didn't even stock tires,the other 2 bent over backwards for my business and settled for the cheaper of the 2 naturally.I've been pretty lucky,the 3 I've done business with between Fla. and Ut. have been great.So far in 16k mi,25 states I've had a good experience with the Victory dealers,really no less so than 38 yrs on Harleys

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Tri-Cities Performance in Centerville, UT had a pretty good selection of parts and accessories, and everyone was really friendly. Action Motorsports in Idaho Falls, ID was a couple guys who were super-knowledgeable, but their service department failed to impress me when they didn't check my tire pressure on my pre-delivery inspection.

The ladies in the accessories department our local HD dealer are very nice, but the salesmen don't even make eye contact even IF I happen to be looking at a bike (maybe they saw me pull up on a Vic...) and the guys at the parts counter always seem to be annoyed to be taking my money. That said, the Kawasaki/Suzuki dealer a half mile down the road is pretty much the same way. The Honda/Yamaha dealer in town is really the only one that's impressed me with their quality of service.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well I must agree! When I had my HD I purchased overseas in the military so I had NO dealership at all! Waranty was not even vaild till i got back. No big deal I work on my own. Then moved to MD and All American HD in Southern MD is just down right scary. Had friends get work there and they failed to install the retaining bolts on his front axle. We stoped at another custom bike supper and the mech at this place points it out! HD about killed my buddy! Another time in the shop three weeks longer then promised got the bike back huge scratch on the tank that HD said was there already! My Victory.dealership was Victory of Southern MD! Great shop and Berny the owner knows every buyer by name! Now that I'm in Texas I have Strokers Dallas. They are bigger but just as good! I still let know one work on my bike unless it is a warrenty issue! I never wore HD tshirts or had an HD sticker in my window. Have no need! It's like putting up a cocacola sticker in my window letting everyone know I drink coke vs Pepsi......why!? So I would rather have a motorcycle company build me a rock solid bike vs a motorcycle company who makes tshirts and bike on the side!

·
Registered
336 Posts
You have to keep something in mind, Harley dealers didn't just one day say "Hey, let's offer all kinds of goodies and have really pretty shops." Starting in the early 90's, corporate came up with a survival marketing game plan and demanded that the franchises come along for the ride or hit the road.

The dealers were mandated at the time to put up those billboards on the highways where ever it was legally possible to do so. And speaking of highways, how many Harley dealers nationwide do you see that are out in the middle of nowhere? Those that were now have shiny buildings that are less then 20 years old because Harley told them, build it and they will come....but build it by a highway exit.

X amount of floor space is dedicated to softgoods, x amount to parts. This was all designed by the corporate MARKETING and SALES team. This had nothing to do with your motorcycling experience, it had and has everything to do with selling parts, service and t-shirts. Harley didn't emphasis the bike, they emphasised the experience and they still do.

With all of that said, can Vic pick it up a bit? Absolutely. Going to a Vic dealer isn't not an experience, it is a neccessity on occassion. But you have to ask yourself why you ride a ______(fill in the blank) and not a Harley. What is important to you, the bike or the marketing of the bike?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tri-Cities Performance in Centerville, UT had a pretty good selection of parts and accessories, and everyone was really friendly.

Tri City Performance in Springville's where I bought my Vision.Easily the best out of any vehicle, 2 wheel or 4 wheel that I've done business with.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think others summed it up pretty good. HD has a marketing campaign full of bling... So what.

Having said that, the corporate HD shops around me have always been nice to visit. Staff is knowledgeable, courteous, and tries to help.

All the Victory shops around me don't know about Victory, what fits, how to give estimates on time, etc. The one I got my bike from (a 'PowerSports' company) no longer sells Victory (still have the big sign up though, two years after they quit selling them). I hated going there. They'd happily keep my bike for three weeks to do an oil change but would not sell me a box of oil. WTF

Ones around me, I agree, sell Victory as a later 'addition' to their line-up. None of them are local but they all act like I should be totally fine with leaving my bike with them for months at a time. Guess I'll just hitch hike back or something. Never understood why it's OK for bike shops to keep your bike for months while car shops generally take less than a day, maybe two if it's serious or they need parts. I mean, the argument I always hear is "volume" but, grief man, if volume is the problem where did the back log come from?

The local motorcycle shops (non branded)... these guys are something else. I got a flat on my honda shadow and was right outside their place. I needed some help and the fat guy with a beard barks they don't work on metric $hit and tells me to 'screw off'. Seriously? Wow, OK. I go outside to make a phone call for assistance and one of the techs comes out from the garage (real stereotypical HD looking dude). Said he heard what happened and pushed my bike into the shop, patched me up enough to get to the closest metric shop and apologized for the owner. Solid dude. So, I guess my point is, motorcycle shops in general are real hit and miss. The honda shop I got to was super helpful and got me in and out - since I wasn't a local and needed to get back on the road.

All in all, I prefer a car dealership over a bike dealership any day. I go to Ford, I want to buy a vehicle. You go to a bike dealer and it's la la land. Let me go check if that pipe will fit that model, btw, can I interest you in a sea-doo? Huh, oh :crzy: no

·
Registered
566 Posts
You guys are all right about HD and their history, etc. But at the end of the day, a new buyer is still wanting Victory to compete, by providing a similar level of gear, accesorries and support. They are after all, spending the same amount of coin!

I was frankly stunned when I walked into an HD dealership and the sales guys talked my head off about the fatbob I was looking at, the engine changes over the years, mods available, things that make sense and things that don't. The only dealership that sells Vics here said " yeah man, it's a real nice $16k bike" and that was that....

What I have to say to Vic is this: if you want to be one of the big boys and compete with HD, then you gotta play like the big boys, nobody wants to hear excuses.

I do have a lot of faith in Vics progress and I do think they will survive if they keep on pressing with new models and innovations. But they really do need to also step up their game with customer relationships/experience. With that they have a lot of ground to cover until they get to where they need to be.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have noticed that at whatever dealership I have gone to I have almost always known more about the bike I was looking at than the sales person. This has always peeved me to no end when I end up educating them on the bikes they are selling. While Harley sales reps may be a bit more knowledgeable, most all of them jump on the lifestyle benefit of owning a Harley as opposed to brand x,y, or v.
Stand alone Vic dealers are rare, but they are popping up and as more aftermarket accessories become available and more people start throwing the coin into customizing their rides the pendulum may begin to swing for Vic. The cross bikes are great platform for customizing and are getting a ton of press that is usually reserved for harley's or custom bikes sporting the evo style motors.
Getting to the point - IMO - the more people that see vics tricked out above and beyond what the average person would do to a bike the more desirable they will become. Stretched front ends, big wheels, and wild ass paint get press and attract attention. Attention sparks interest and interest leads to sales. More sales will lead to more dealers and hopefully better service.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Does anyone really (honestly) think Vic could or should be able to compete with a company thats been in business for over 100 years, and has the most fiercely loyal consumers on the planet....These knucleheads would buy turds in a can if it says HD on it.
If that means that much to you maybe you should just follow all the other sheeple, get in line, and get you a Harley, so you can go down to the ultra cool HD dealer and get you some doo rags,chaps,hats,boots,vest and thongs that have the glorious HD logo on it. Then and only then will you be a happy biker............

1 - 20 of 39 Posts