Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
And yet they also concluded:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/9011/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Victory-Vision-Tour-vs-Road-Glide-Ultra.aspx

"The Victory Vision Tour handles great at speed, has an engine that provides plenty of torque, and its transmission is greatly improved. It has an MSRP of $23,199 and is a touring platform that provides long-range convenience and comfort. The Road Glide Ultra sells for a comparable $22,499. Its TC 103 engine gives it the added punch we were looking for in a Harley tourer and feels just as lively at the throttle thanks to spot-on fuel injection and a more manageable clutch. It’s much easier to handle at low speed and since Harley switched out the chassis in 2009, the bike handles on par with the Vision now at speed, too. It also matches the Vision’s comfortable ergos, storage capacity and ride quality. Since the last time we paired a Harley Tourer against a Victory Vision, The Motor Company has addressed many of our grievances. Beyond refining its transmission, not much has changed in the performance of the Victory Vision since its introduction. The Ultra’s brakes also inspire more confidence, and though the disparity between the two is minute at best, we found the updated Road Glide Ultra to be an incrementally better all-around motorcycle."

Go figure...

·
Registered
336 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's all about tradition, you're buying into a lifestyle, it's a Harley.....
Part of that "lifestyle" involves paying a lot more for maintenance! :ltr::ltr::ltr:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As for the article. Let's conduct it when it is 95 outside and tell me how nice Harley's 103 is.

That is why when I rode a Road Glide 103 I donned it "Heat Glide Ultra Cooker" :ltr:

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
That article reads like a recipe for Kool-Aid. When its hotter than 95 degrees, they drink more of it to stay satisfied with their 103s. As ol' Winston C. might have said, That's something up with which I would not put.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
My buddy is on the fence right now. SG or XC. If it wasn't for my stunning black XC he would have bought his Street Glide by now. His wife likes the Victory bikes but his other HD friends and his Dad got him drinking the Koolaid. His research has come to the fact that Vic XC and Vision is a better all around bike.

I know what he's going thru right now as I went thru it 2yrs ago. He just has to realize that no matter what he picks he has to live with it for a while. It's an expensive toy and you better be sure your going be happy with it and realize that every corner you turn there is a SG that looks just like yours. Runs just like yours and deep down inside that HD owner has a hidden jealousy towards the Victory bikes just like the one your buddy (me) is riding. He's so :confused:confused.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Lemme see...do I buy this really great Victory that does everything so well and is so easy to maintain, do I appease my buddys. Decisions, decisions. :)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I used to use this thing called the "scavenger" for my fatboy oil changes to get all the oil system flushed.

http://shop.roguechopper.com/

Proof the Victory oil change is by far extremely easy. Also, just seeing a primary chain tension check/adjustment will make you glad you're servicing a Victory instead if a Harley.

I'm actually looking forward to my first 500 self service. My only concern is warranty and doing my own service. I suppose if I have a good record, such as checklist and log for the services, then in the event of some unusual warranty issue my 3 year promotional factory warranty is not in jeopardy. If I had a local dealer I'd have no problem having it done at the Vic dealer but none within an hour transit. Which flat out sucks!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
636 Posts
My wife now has the Soft tail deluxe....she sold her XR. I don't know a thing about maintaining an HD... so, does it also have the three drain plugs and would I have to take off the stupid derby covers just to do an oil change? Really?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Drain plugs on the bottom from the oil tank and under the primary and transmission. Three different reservoirs. Enjoy. Check clutch while you're there and chain tension. Plan on getting inventive to keep the filter opening from dumping oil on the front of the crankcase. I suggest making a ramp out of aluminum foil. Enjoy. I'll report back after doing my 500 service but after servicing softails, I suspect it will be so easy it's troubling.

I've got a shelf full of shockproof heavy gear oil and Mobil 1 V-Twin I'll never use now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Pckrfan, yes the checks at 5000 miles require the derby cover off, don't forget to get a new gasket for it each time too.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yep, and the useless pain of non-self-adjusting primary chain tensioners.. It's worth it to bite the bullet one time and get a self-adjuster so you won't have to pop off the inspection cover, requiring another gasket.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Pckrfan, Bsbabcock pretty much covered it. Have fun getting the oil filter off the front of the engine. Even with a special messy oil diverter, I always end up getting some running all over the bike.

They seem to have changed the design on the 12's and up so you almost have to get the special filter wrench or take out the regulator plug on them to get the filter off. PITA X 100.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My buddy is on the fence right now. SG or XC. If it wasn't for my stunning black XC he would have bought his Street Glide by now. His wife likes the Victory bikes but his other HD friends and his Dad got him drinking the Koolaid. His research has come to the fact that Vic XC and Vision is a better all around bike.

I know what he's going thru right now as I went thru it 2yrs ago. He just has to realize that no matter what he picks he has to live with it for a while. It's an expensive toy and you better be sure your going be happy with it and realize that every corner you turn there is a SG that looks just like yours. Runs just like yours and deep down inside that HD owner has a hidden jealousy towards the Victory bikes just like the one your buddy (me) is riding. He's so :confused:confused.
Having spent a great deal of time riding motorcycles in the Pensacola area....and all of it on Harleys....I would NEVER, NEVER, EVER, buy a new 103 or 110 Harley and try to ride it anytime at all between late May and October in FL. I have never ridden a motorcycle that cooks my leg the way these do. I just switched over to some nice vented pants for summer use for my work Harley and was riding the other day when it was 83. Bad move on the vented pants, my leg was already cooking to the point that I had to ride with it cocked out to the side.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Having spent a great deal of time riding motorcycles in the Pensacola area....and all of it on Harleys....I would NEVER, NEVER, EVER, buy a new 103 or 110 Harley and try to ride it anytime at all between late May and October in FL. I have never ridden a motorcycle that cooks my leg the way these do. I just switched over to some nice vented pants for summer use for my work Harley and was riding the other day when it was 83. Bad move on the vented pants, my leg was already cooking to the point that I had to ride with it cocked out to the side.
Wow! I see the EPA's only made H-D even worse heat generators. They're going to force H-D to start going to an setup like the V-Rod engine in all their bikes before it's over with.. Water or Oil cooled. Speaking of... I'd invest in the beefiest oil cooler right out of the gate for one of the new Harleys.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Wow! I see the EPA's only made H-D even worse heat generators. They're going to force H-D to start going to an setup like the V-Rod engine in all their bikes before it's over with.. Water or Oil cooled. Speaking of... I'd invest in the beefiest oil cooler right out of the gate for one of the new Harleys.
BMW has introduced water cooling to some of its Boxer Twins. And they are air/oil cooled to begin with.

·
Registered
85 Posts
And yet they also concluded:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/9011/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Victory-Vision-Tour-vs-Road-Glide-Ultra.aspx

"The Victory Vision Tour handles great at speed, has an engine that provides plenty of torque, and its transmission is greatly improved. It has an MSRP of $23,199 and is a touring platform that provides long-range convenience and comfort. The Road Glide Ultra sells for a comparable $22,499. Its TC 103 engine gives it the added punch we were looking for in a Harley tourer and feels just as lively at the throttle thanks to spot-on fuel injection and a more manageable clutch. It’s much easier to handle at low speed and since Harley switched out the chassis in 2009, the bike handles on par with the Vision now at speed, too. It also matches the Vision’s comfortable ergos, storage capacity and ride quality. Since the last time we paired a Harley Tourer against a Victory Vision, The Motor Company has addressed many of our grievances. Beyond refining its transmission, not much has changed in the performance of the Victory Vision since its introduction. The Ultra’s brakes also inspire more confidence, and though the disparity between the two is minute at best, we found the updated Road Glide Ultra to be an incrementally better all-around motorcycle."

Go figure...
Where did they come up with that price for the Vision?

·
Registered
608 Posts

You need to get your buddy to look at the youtube vids on cam tension shoe failures??? Harley's crank shaft is pressed together from multiple pcs and prone to twisting.
How about the cost of maintenance or you could loose your warranty.

I would own a Harley ultra if they would repair the weak parts in the motor. Tension shoes that fill the engine with metal pcs. A crank that is pressed together. A roller bearing on the bottom of the con rod that you can't replace without getting the crank pressed apart. Or replacing the hole assy. No Thank You.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts