Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change my factory head light bulb to a PIAA H11 white bulb. Since there are 2 head light bulbs (low beam & high beam) do I have to buy 2 of them or only 1. And which one should I change?

2009 Vegas

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
Do they have to be PIAA? I mean, great brand, but once you put it in, nobody will know you've sent three times more than what you could have spent for the same light output. But nothing wrong with PIAA - I'm just cheap.

To answer your question, you may replace one of the bulbs or both. You can replace only the high beam, only the low beam, or both.

Were you considering just replacing the bulbs, or do you know that ballasts are needed as well? Without ballasts, you will end up wasting your time installing and then re-installing the stock bulbs. As far as ballasts go, make sure you end up with slim, electronic ballasts - fit better, produce less heat, and are smart enough to shut your bulb off instead of blowing it up with current surge.

·
Registered
755 Posts
You don't need ballasts for piaa white light bulb. only time you need ballasts is when you buy xenons which sold as a kit and comes with ballasts.
If piaa white bulbs are anything like sylvania silver stars I wouldn't recommend putting them on. I had the silver stars on my old car and they die waaaay to quick and the worst part of them is they produce to much heat and melt the plastic wires and the part of the harness.
I say check your local craigslist and find one of these. they are well worth the money.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ele/2509899174.html

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
Some kits are better than others. Then some ship from China. Some have warranty, some don't. Some are slim, and others aren't. Some sell kits they don't have in stock. Some have terrible service. Some play the shipping and handling fee game. Whatever you chose, I hope it works out well for you. ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
There are cheaper HID kits without going to eBay:

http://www.hidextra.com/mid-slim-hid-kit
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Dual-Motorcycle-HID-Kit

These are two-light kits with ballasts. Some folks have used hidextra and have had good service. DDM Tuning is more unknown and has some negative reviews for service on Facebook (ymmv), but the ballest are smaller and the kits are less expensive. I ordered from DDM on Thursday and got my ship notification today.
Lo-Dawg, Let us know how they work out for you. Ease of install, 35W vs 55W, and of course, how they perform. Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Lo-Dawg, Let us know how they work out for you. Ease of install, 35W vs 55W, and of course, how they perform. Thanks
Just to levelset a bit going into this:

1) HID kits are pretty much the same, install-wise: Bulb, ballast, connecting hardware (wires, essentially). The main difference is the size of the ballast. Given two kits with the same size ballast, the "ease of install" would be the same.

2) 35W vs 55W: The difference (according to the sites) is lumens. The site I'm looking at states a typical halogen at 900-1200 lumens, with the 35W ballest producing 3200-3400 lumens and the 55W ballasts at 5000 lumens. Since I'm putting these in my headlamps AND my lightbar, I figured 20,000 total lumens to be even more overkill than my planned 12,800-13,600 lumen setup. On top of that, the ballast are bigger, they kits are more expensive, and there is concern that the lights are so bright that things get washed out. They also have higher normal amp draw (4.1 vs. 3.2 for the 35W), which may or may not be an issue.

In the end, what matters for the kits are quality foremost, customer service from the dealer, and price. I went with a cheaper kit, but after doing some post-purchase research, I'm more than a little worried about the quality of the kits I'll be receiving. I will most certainly be posting my opinions about that once they arrive and I have them installed.

If you'd rather be safe about it and not risk low quality kits or lackluster customer service, order from people you know or a company with a good reputation.

Check this thread: http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=6044

1 - 8 of 8 Posts