Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to throw the XC into the trailer and head 7 hrs over to The Vic Shop and have Rylan do a set of cams and timing wheel. Already have the llyodz intake, Neometz exhaust, and PCV. Cant wait to see what we can get on the dyno.
Hopefully once i get back home I can get my Hot Vic 23" wheel kit on.

I will keep everyone posted on the dyno results!!

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
It took 10 hours to get there, and just over 2 to get the work done! :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, had a awesome time over at The Vic Shop with Rylan and Gabe! Rylan is shooting a new promotional video for his shop and i was lucky enough to be there at the time of it so he used my bike for the new video he is making. We did the VM1-DR cams with adjustable timing gear. I was amazed at how fast these two swapped the cams and timing gear out. Im not kidding they had the tank off the cams in and timing gear in with the tank back on in about alittle over a hour. You can clearing see they have done plenty of these jobs and have a system down for it.

I have only spent about 10 minutes on the bike so far since it wont stop raining. Go figure I ride it for a couple minutes at The Vic Shop sun is out mid 80's and its a nice day. Drive 7hrs home unload the bike gone 5 minutes and im racing a storm home. (I beat it by the way) Weather looks like crap out today still but i will find some time here shortly to take it for a spin.

We compared my dyno run to some of the other exhaust setups out there and mine did leave alittle on the table compared to others but they ran pretty close in comparision. Any other motor work i get done i will probably swap out to adam bombs before i have a retune.

The little bit of time i have spent on the bike i can tell you the biggest thing i noticed right off the bat was how much better the throttle response was. I could snap the throttle pretty good and it would just take off. It pulls much harder from 2700- redline im very pleased with it.

Anyway, I would like to Thank Rylan and Gabe. They did a awesome job with the work they did and i know for sure that when im ready for alittle more juice the bike will be coming back and getting whatever else i decide to do to it.

Keep a eye out for the new video Rylan will be posting out there and you will see a whole video of the cam and timing gear swap with dyno runs and lots of cool footage. It was a awesome time and like Rylan said "Hey man your bike is going to me internet famous" LOL

Had a blast Rylan and Gabe! Thanks again guys!

Here is the dyno sheet!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Congrats, that is one sweet ride, love the color too!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Let me start by saying that I love my VM1-DR cams, but, your dyno illustrates what I have repeatedly said..... you do lose some low end torque with them. Even with the ATW. Without that ATW, the drop in torque would have been even more noticeable! But, at 3k and above, the bike comes alive with the cams!

So, anyone who thinks they won't lose any bottom end torque would be mistaken, if that's important.

Stepping down now.... wac

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me start by saying that I love my VM1-DR cams, but, your dyno illustrates what I have repeatedly said..... you do lose some low end torque with them. Even with the ATW. Without that ATW, the drop in torque would have been even more noticeable! But, at 3k and above, the bike comes alive with the cams!

So, anyone who thinks they won't lose any bottom end torque would be mistaken, if that's important.

Stepping down now.... wac
Yep it shows it loses alittle down low but the butt dyno sure thinks different!! Rylan had a dyno run of the same setup as mine but it had Adam bombs on it and it was actually 108 HP and 113 TQ and lost alittle less on the bottom end then mine did. Im very pleased with how it runs. Seems to pull much much harder. Gas mileage is sure sucking for the first tank of gas though. LOL

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just for reference here is my setup, done by Rylan and Gabe. Shows stage 1 vs. Lloydz air filter, Atom Bombs, timing wheel, PCV.

Rylan is top notch, for sure. Been to see him a couple times now. Once with the XC and once with the Kingpin I used to have. What a great guy. So knowledgeable. Gabe is great too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,894 Posts
I wonder what the difference in price is between the stage 1 stuff installed... and the Lloydz air filter, Atom Bombs, timing wheel, PCV, and tune?

Gains of 7 and 12.... No too shabby.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wonder what the difference in price is between the stage 1 stuff installed... and the Lloydz air filter, Atom Bombs, timing wheel, PCV, and tune?

Gains of 7 and 12.... No too shabby.
I imagine the stage 1 stuff is a bit cheaper but you don't get anything from it...or if you do it isn't much. With the "Lloydz" mods you actually get noticeable results.

I was very pleased with my trip to The Vic Shop. It isn't a "Oh my gawd" type of increase in power, but you most definitely feel it. My plan was to add cams next spring, but now I don't know. With the cams the torque hangs on a bit more after 4500 rpms, but it also comes on a bit later. I don't find myself above 4000 very often...most of the time I'm at 2000-3500, and that's pretty much right where I have 100+ ft/lbs of torque. Peak HP isn't even close to a cammed bike, but the torque is right there...and where I want it. But I'm also a bit jealous, 'cause Trvshonda's numbers look awesome!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I imagine the stage 1 stuff is a bit cheaper but you don't get anything from it...or if you do it isn't much. With the "Lloydz" mods you actually get noticeable results.

I was very pleased with my trip to The Vic Shop. It isn't a "Oh my gawd" type of increase in power, but you most definitely feel it. My plan was to add cams next spring, but now I don't know. With the cams the torque hangs on a bit more after 4500 rpms, but it also comes on a bit later. I don't find myself above 4000 very often...most of the time I'm at 2000-3500, and that's pretty much right where I have 100+ ft/lbs of torque. Peak HP isn't even close to a cammed bike, but the torque is right there...and where I want it. But I'm also a bit jealous, 'cause Trvshonda's numbers look awesome!
If your thinking about cams i would say go for it. I know it shows on the dyno that you lose alittle torque down low but in reality it feels way stronger from 2000-4000 then it ever did. Also i would recommend using Atom bomb exhaust. With that exhaust Rylan had a dyno run just like mine with all the same mods except it had Atom bombs on it and it ran 108HP and 113TQ and the torque on lost 2 foot lbs in the lower rpm and with that little of a difference you will never tell. Im actually looking to swap to a set of atom bombs and see if there is a difference with mine on the dyno.
With the cams its a whole new machine! Bike pulls hard in all gears and love the fact that if im in 5th gear at 2700-2800 rpm and hammer into it she just comes alive now instead of just making more noise and slowly accelorating. Also the timing wheel makes the throttle response so much better. I think thats why it doesnt feel like i lost any torque down low.

All in all if your thinking about cams i would say do it. You will love the end result. I would also recommend the timing gear, having the timing advanced smooths out the throttle response just off idle.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Just for reference here is my setup, done by Rylan and Gabe. Shows stage 1 vs. Lloydz air filter, Atom Bombs, timing wheel, PCV.

Rylan is top notch, for sure. Been to see him a couple times now. Once with the XC and once with the Kingpin I used to have. What a great guy. So knowledgeable. Gabe is great too.
Wow, two great graphs on the same page. Really demonstrates the difference with and without the cam. The stock cam really shines in comparison until about 2700 rpm where both machines seem to make equal power until around 4500 rpm when the stock cam falls flat and the VM keeps making HP up to 6k rpm.

The hotter cam definitely makes more power at the top than it gives up at the bottom. These graphs really give a person a great sense of which cam fits their needs. A heavy couple hauling a lot of luggage may prefer the stump pulling aspect of the stock cam. Wild eyed law breakers will likely be more pleased with the top end rush of the VM. Good stuff. cheers

·
Premium Member
4,894 Posts
I know it shows on the dyno that you lose alittle torque down low but in reality it feels way stronger from 2000-4000 then it ever did.
When you power-on when riding the bike, how often do you snap the throttle open... and how often do you roll the throttle open?

The dyno shows what happens when you snap the throttle open in 5th gear. I have to wonder how much different the graph would look if you rolled the throttle open... say, taking 2 seconds to go from closed to wide open...

Additionally, this illustrates the losses (yellow) and the gains (red) with cams. Once the tach gets over 2700 you'll forget all about any losses.

If you normally ride from 2000-3500 rpm, what is stopping you from simply not shifting so early? Ride from 2500-4000 rpm... you would experience a whole lot more oomph than before... 8 ft-lbs minimum... It won't hurt the bike to spin it a little bit. In fact, I'd bet your fuel mileage would increase.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you power-on when riding the bike, how often do you snap the throttle open... and how often do you roll the throttle open?

The dyno shows what happens when you snap the throttle open in 5th gear. I have to wonder how much different the graph would look if you rolled the throttle open... say, taking 2 seconds to go from closed to wide open...
Ya, not sure what the graph would look like if it wasnt a WOT run. The bike just seems to pull its self with so much less effort in 6th gear. You can just hammer it down and it will pull hard no problem and no need to down shift to 5th gear. I will dig up the other dyno sheet of the atom bombs.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is a run with VM1 cams, timing wheel, atom bomb exhaust, lloydz intake and PCV. All the same as mine except for exhaust and this one doesnt lose anything compared to stock cams. My exhaust is holding me back on the bottom end so i will most likely swap out to a set of atom bombs and see what i gain back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Additionally, this illustrates the losses (yellow) and the gains (red) with cams. Once the tach gets over 2700 you'll forget all about any losses.
Now repeat this exercise only this time between the Rylan tuned Stage 1 and the Rylan tuned VM1. There will be far less red until you reach the top end.

Though if Honda is right, perhaps changing the pipes will eliminate his yellow.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now repeat this exercise only this time between the Rylan tuned Stage 1 and the Rylan tuned VM1. There will be far less red until you reach the top end.

Though if Honda is right, perhaps changing the pipes will eliminate his yellow.
Yes with the other exhaust i would have much less loss down low if any at all. Rylan told me my exhaust was leaving alittle on the table. Sooo i guess i will swap them out and have another run to see what i gained.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well damn it guys, I was perfectly happy with my setup...until you threw that last dyno sheet in here! Rylan told me the same thing about the Atom Bombs so I had him put a set on when I had the timing wheel installed. Damn, maybe I do "need" cams.......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts