Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday the wife and I fired up the XC and headed out for lunch in Roscoe MT (about 85 miles). It's the first time since getting the bike in February that I've been able to get the thing up in the mountains and see how she handles the twisties. You see summer just arrived for us about five days ago. It rained 25 days out of June for at least part of the day or nite and snowed three times down low (5k elevation) and a lot more up in the high country.

I've got to say that even though we didn't get into any serious mountain riding yesterday I am IMPRESSED with the way the XC handles. It's like the thing is on rails and it just makes you want to twist the grip coming out of some of those sweepers. Unfortunately since we now have a comm system in the helmets I'm sure that I would quickly hear about it if I were to drag the redheads boot on the pavement, not to mention touching down a floorboard.

This morning we've got friends coming over to join us on a putt up and over BearTooth Pass into Red Lodge MT. They ride an HD trike so I'll probably be looking for them in the mirror from time to time. I'm looking forward to putting this bike through a few of her paces up at high altitude.

July Checklist for BearTooth Pass:

Winter Jackets - Check
Chaps - Check
Rain Gear - Check
Heavy Gloves - Check
Sunscreen - Check

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you have time hit dead Indian pass to Cody from the beartooth (212) it has some full speed sweepers that are a blast.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yesterday the wife and I fired up the XC and headed out for lunch in Roscoe MT (about 85 miles). It's the first time since getting the bike in February that I've been able to get the thing up in the mountains and see how she handles the twisties. You see summer just arrived for us about five days ago. It rained 25 days out of June for at least part of the day or nite and snowed three times down low (5k elevation) and a lot more up in the high country.

I've got to say that even though we didn't get into any serious mountain riding yesterday I am IMPRESSED with the way the XC handles. It's like the thing is on rails and it just makes you want to twist the grip coming out of some of those sweepers. Unfortunately since we now have a comm system in the helmets I'm sure that I would quickly hear about it if I were to drag the redheads boot on the pavement, not to mention touching down a floorboard.

This morning we've got friends coming over to join us on a putt up and over BearTooth Pass into Red Lodge MT. They ride an HD trike so I'll probably be looking for them in the mirror from time to time. I'm looking forward to putting this bike through a few of her paces up at high altitude.

July Checklist for BearTooth Pass:

Winter Jackets - Check
Chaps - Check
Rain Gear - Check
Heavy Gloves - Check
Sunscreen - Check
Been tearing up the twisties on my 13 for over a year now. Love the way the bike runs and handles the curves. It is a little tough on rear tires,
Head out that way in August to run the mountains all the way to Jasper

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dead Injun is our preferred route up and over into Red Lodge. That way if the weather goes into the crapper at least we're theoretically headed towards "down hill."

The ride was great today, a little "Wyoming Breeze" over the top above timber line and then 95° across Chapman Bench on the way back but it was almost a picture perfect day for the ride. I'm gonna try and edit a couple of hand held phone videos tonite and post the link in the morning.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I took a family trip (in the cage) out west to the Black Hills and Yellowstone and just got home last week. We went over beartooth pass on the way home and man was I wishing I had my bike. Beautiful ride with all the snow (this southern boy had never seen snow in late June before). Got to together with some riding buddies a few days ago and showed them some pics and I think we might be heading out there on 2 wheels next year.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
I've done the Beartooth Highway 6 times and each was a treat. After the first time, I told the wife I wanted to come back and check into a motel in Cooke City for two nights and do the Beartooth the day in between. A couple years later we did just that--went to Red Lodge for lunch and turned around and saw the other side of the trees. What a glorious and memorable day that was. Been back there a few more times and never tire of it.
Beartooth is one of those bucket rides every touring rider should aspire to and do. Might as well throw in Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks too while you're in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
It is definitely on my bucket list as well as the black hills, really enjoyed riding around Custer State Park in the cage. The plus side of taking the cage (a Jeep) is that we got to go riding on some rough roads out that way to reach some awesome hiking trails.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After arguing with my phone I finally got a few video clips put together. I didn't get a shot of it but the ski lift was operating on Saturday and I can't remember ever seeing that thing in operation. I'm not crazy enough to go up there in the winter and slide down the side of the mountain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2pZdsW81vA

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Stick to motorcycling, you can get hurt skiing. Nice vid there Foto...I know where all those shots were taken. Could you spot the Bear Tooth, or was it too cloudy?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Thanks for the Vid. Making a run thru there 12 Aug and then North to Road to road to the sun. After that Icefields parkway and then down to lolo pass.

Any of you folks out there way was to join in for part or whole run PM me.

Leaving out of Rawlins 11 Aug theading to Jackson Night 1 then to Yellowstone and the chiefs/bear.

PM and I will send the list and dates.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The ski lift was going when I was there a week and a half ago. I didn't see many Vic's on my 5,000 mile loop but I did get to see a Tequila Gold XC at that pull over at the end of your video. I also got to see the new Indian at the dealership in Sturgis and sit on the Chieftan. It was a little cramped compared to my XR but not bad. Wife saw the price tag and told me to dream on and so I did.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that there's only one other Victory here in Cody and I've only spotted it from a distance, I'm pretty sure that he's local. Out of the thousand or so bikes we saw on Saturday I only saw two other Victory's but a crap load of '14 Harley's.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the plastic spoon that my wife appears to be born with in her mouth. That was my fix for wind noise in her mic and it appears to have worked pretty good. I told her I would spray paint it black with some Fusion paint so she doesn't stick out so much.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Foto--a foam "sock" will filter out wind noise. You can buy them from J&M.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was on a cross country trip last July with a buddy that took us over the Beartooth Pass out of Yellowstone. Our next destination was The Little Big Horn Battlefield after Yellowstone, so I plugged it into the GPS and off we went. We had no idea that route was so scenic or so cold! I had never heard of it, but I sure will never forget it.

On the way up out of Yellowstone the weather was nice for awhile, then it started sleeting and got cold! Could not believe the snow we saw on the ground, and it seemed like we were at the top only to discover we were only halfway up! The turns were sharp and the road was wet so I never got past third gear. We finally found a safe place to pull over to add warm clothes and when we did get to the top the sun came back out. I was happy for that warm sun! What a beautiful view at the top! The video showed the parking area at the top. We wanted to stay at Red Lodge but it was a tourist location and the room prices were too high for us so we road another 100 miles before we found a place.

Thanks for bringing back the memories! The next day I got a flat tire just outside of Billings and got to use the services of Yellowstone Polaris

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Under the plastic spoon in a foam sock or "condom". Her mic takes a lot of wind noise and it's almost impossible to hear her without the spoon.

The parking area in the video isn't the one at the top, it's Vista Point about 17 miles from Red Lodge. The parking area at the top had five feet of snow over it and you couldn't even walk out to th to without cross country skis or snow shoes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow! Five feet of snow? There wasn't any snow there in the parking lot last year in early July. Those parking areas must look alike except for the views. I know I was sure happy to see the road going down when I got up there!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've probably ridden the Beartooth close to a hundred times in my life. Most of the experiences were awesome but a few could be classified as "near death." Rain so cold you can't understand why the windshield doesn't freeze up, snow (don't run higher than 2nd gear or else), a lightning strike a few years back behind me on a snow pole that almost made me crap my pants and wind in excess of 80 mph. I've ridden the Swiss Alps and can say without a doubt that the Beartooth is the closest thing the USA has to those winding two lane roads.

We do have an unwritten rule up here though as a local. If you're gonna be up in the mountains on a bike have your happy ass pointed down hill by noon or you could wind up having a VERY bad day.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Beautiful country and awesome looking ride. Thanks for posting the video for us to see.

I like the spoon idea and am going to have to copy it for my wife. Good, simple fix.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts