Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my bike, the previous owner removed the baffles from the exhaust. Last October in Daytona, I had the Lloydz air filter and timing wheel installed. The bike ran great until the cold temperatures of winter hit. The bike no longer liked long trips on the highway. When I exit, I have to keep the throttle turned about half way just to keep her running. As this past summer brought warmer temperatures, this issue went away.
I am pretty sure this was caused by not having the bike tuned. In my area, I keep seeing recommendations for Throttle City (Levittown PA). I've talked to him and he will install the PCV and put the bike on the dyno. I have no doubts in his ability to get the bike tuned, but as he mostly works on Harleys, is there anything I should mention to him or have him do while he has the bike?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pull it in 5th gear. It tunes like anything else.
Thanks @half_crazy, I was hoping to get your opinion. I have heard that you can get the speed restriction removed and also increase the redline cutout. Is this stuff I will have to ask for, or does that just happen when the PCV is installed?

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Thanks @half_crazy, I was hoping to get your opinion. I have heard that you can get the speed restriction removed and also increase the redline cutout. Is this stuff I will have to ask for, or does that just happen when the PCV is installed?
You can raise the rev limit to 6000 rpm in the PC-V with a click of the mouse. The speed limiter cannot be done away with using the PC-V. That will require either a re-flash from Lloydz to your ECU or a tuner like the Maximus or Power Vision.

·
13,002 Posts
I'd put in new plugs and if possible new plug wires.
I don't understand the stalling in cold weather. Maybe bad Idle Air Valve

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's LEAN AS HELL. Runs OK when it's hot out, but when it gets cold it doesn't get enough fuel to run right.
That is exactly my thoughts. It was fine until I added air without giving her more fuel.

I stopped by Throttle City on my way home. I prepurchased the PCV from him. In out talks, he said he didn't agree with a timing wheel on stock cams, that I wouldn't benefit. Honeslty, I tend to agree with him as I really didn't feel any difference after it was put on. No big deal either way.
Please help me get this part straight Victory family. He recommends having the cats pulled out of the exhaust as well. From what I remember, I should leave them in for the back pressure. Or maybe I'm remembering leaving the cats in on a stock tune. He will tune the bike either way, but strongly recommends pulling the cats out. So what does everyone here recommend? On my setup (Lloydz timing wheel at +4, Lloydz air cleaner and the baffles removed) do I pull the cats before tuning? YES or NO?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
That is exactly my thoughts. It was fine until I added air without giving her more fuel.

I stopped by Throttle City on my way home. I prepurchased the PCV from him. In out talks, he said he didn't agree with a timing wheel on stock cams, that I wouldn't benefit. Honeslty, I tend to agree with him as I really didn't feel any difference after it was put on. No big deal either way.
Please help me get this part straight Victory family. He recommends having the cats pulled out of the exhaust as well. From what I remember, I should leave them in for the back pressure. Or maybe I'm remembering leaving the cats in on a stock tune. He will tune the bike either way, but strongly recommends pulling the cats out. So what does everyone here recommend? On my setup (Lloydz timing wheel at +4, Lloydz air cleaner and the baffles removed) do I pull the cats before tuning? YES or NO?

Thanks!
As I understand it from many posts and threads on here the Ally frame XCs like yours are better with the cats left in.
And the steel frame bikes like my Vegas are better with them out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't beleive it. I'm THAT guy. I didn't know the cats thing was such a debated topic and unknowingly start another "oil" thread. I'll understand if the mods revoke my membership.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
I can't beleive it. I'm THAT guy. I didn't know the cats thing was such a debated topic and unknowingly start another "oil" thread. I'll understand if the mods revoke my membership.
:grin :grin You're officially on the radar :grin :grin

·
Registered
277 Posts
Cats IN and timing wheel IN.
If you look at Dyno curves from Lloyd & Vic Shop, bagger exhaust works better everywhere with the cats in creating heat.
With them removed, the difference up top is minimal, but the lower/mid area of torque curve takes a hit.
The crossover pipe in the cross bikes is a lot larger diameter/area than the smaller-diameter pipes on the steel frame bikes. That's probably the difference with the steel frame bikes working better without them.

With the timing wheel,you the end result of the added timing is to get a more efficient burn, and it really helps down low.
PCV can't do it at low RPM.
Had your bike been running correctly to start with, you'd have felt a significant improvement in throttle response and low-rpm torque.
Without it, my bike would die no matter how slow I let out the clutch, unless I gave it gas. After adding timing, I can let the clutch out & the bike chugs away from the light at no throttle.
This is NOT a normal way to actually ride, just something I noticed when I was playing with it I. Appreciation of the added grunt down low.

Lots of guys cruise at ~3k all the time & that works well.
Plenty of times you're wallowing in traffic or cruising nonchalantly, you're lower in rpm & the difference with the wheel is significant.

It's already in, so leave it. Compression on the 106 is low enough that the extra few degrees doesn't hurt you at higher rpms.
If you ever need to go into the engine, get higher compression pistons & ditch the timing wheel.

XC, KP, & Custom MuscleVic in Boise

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
DO NOT remove the cats.
DO NOT put any value (leave at 0) in the timing tables of the PC-V below 2500 rpm.
The PC-V cannot do ignition timing below 2500 rpm on a Victory.

I am party to MANY tuning sessions with lots of bikes and brands. Harley and Victory baggers make the best power with the stock head pipes, cats IN, and slip-on mufflers.

Here's an example....
Brand new Harley Dyna S which comes from the factory with a 110" motor. The baffles were drilled on the stock exhaust, a PC-V was added, and the bike tuned. It made 102 HP and 124 Tq. 100% stock w/cats.

The exhaust was swapped out for a Thunderheader 2 into 1 full exhaust. After touching up the tune, guess what it made? 102/124. The curves were almost identical. The stock exhaust, cats and all, is just as good as the aftermarket 2-1 header system when it comes to making power.

When people core out the cats they tend to LOSE power, especially low-end torque. Many believe that the 1st thing you should do is remove the cats to eliminate heat. If the bike is properly tuned it won't run hot. The cats are not the heat issue, it's the lean mixture.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Oh... the O2 sensors need to be disconnected.... The PC-V doesn't use them.
The O2 bungs are the proper size for wide band sensors to be used by the tuner on the dyno. They will screw right in. Harleys use little O2s and the bungs won't accept wide bands.

Biggest thing to remember "IT'S NOT A HARLEY".

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
A tuned bike is a very HAPPY bike.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
A tuned bike is a very HAPPY bike.
I will add Properly Tuned, theres dyno operators and dyno tuners, after several 'tunes' by a dyno operator at various stages of the development on my Vegas I bit the bullet and took my bike to a highly reccomended and well respected dyno tuner Fred ( Andrew Badcock of ProCycle, Australia)
He pulled another ten horses outta the hat.:devil

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
I will add Properly Tuned, theres dyno operators and dyno tuners, after several 'tunes' by a dyno operator at various stages of the development on my Vegas I bit the bullet and took my bike to a highly reccomended and well respected dyno tuner Fred ( Andrew Badcock of ProCycle, Australia)
He pulled another ten horses outta the hat.:devil
Seems mine was properly tuned and I was one of the last the guy is gone.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, so the verdict is in, keep the cats in or lose power. I have one final question, as I'm still torn between the "extra horsepower" with the cats in, or pissing the neighbors off a little more with open pipes.
How much am I looking to lose by removing the cats? Are we talking 2-3 horsepower, or something significant?

·
Registered
277 Posts
You want noise, change or gut out your slip-ons, and leave the dang cats in there.
Search for xc mufflers.
Lots of guys here make wicked semi-mufflers, and there are threads to do it yourself.
Get them & once you're sick of it, you can slip in cores.
All with the cats in place.
OK, so the verdict is in, keep the cats in or lose power. I have one final question, as I'm still torn between the "extra horsepower" with the cats in, or pissing the neighbors off a little more with open pipes.
How much am I looking to lose by removing the cats? Are we talking 2-3 horsepower, or something significant?
XC, KP, & Custom MuscleVic in Boise

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Let me get this straight here....You will give up performance just to be obnoxiously loud? You are paying money to get a proper tune, but loud is more important than efficient? Are you 16?

Was this conversation a waste of my keystrokes?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let me get this straight here....You will give up performance just to be obnoxiously loud? You are paying money to get a proper tune, but loud is more important than efficient? Are you 16?

Was this conversation a waste of my keystrokes?
Well, if you talk to my wife... yea, I'm a child.
The dyno guy thinks I'm making a mistake by keeping the cats. In his words, it's my bike and I can do whatever-the-hell I want. Of course hearing this from someone who is supposed to be a professional makes me nervous. I get it though, he's done thousands of HD's and has a hell of a reputation in this area. But as you've said, it's NOT a Harley. I've opted to keep the cats in the header pipes against his recommendation, but the 16 year old in me is very angry and won't come out of his room now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts