Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who ride at night.

I seem to have a problem getting the hi and low beams adjusted on my XC, they seem to be interconnected. If I get the low beam right, hi is too high. If I adjust to the hi beam, low is too low.

Can't seem to adjust them independantly:confused:

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thx, greg

·
12,983 Posts
If you read your book I believe it tells you 25 feet from a wall and mark a spot that is the same height as the center of your head light.
Now the "high" beam should "just" hit the top of your mark.
The low beam will take care of it self.
They say you should be sitting on the bike.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you read your book I believe it tells you 25 feet from a wall and mark a spot that is the same height as the center of your head light.
Now the "high" beam should "just" hit the top of your mark.
The low beam will take care of it self.
They say you should be sitting on the bike.
VJ, this is precisely what I did. The problem is that when I adjust the high beam as per the book, the low beam is waaay too low. Not really that evident unless you ride at night where it is really dark.

When I raise the low beam so that it works at all, the high beam is too high, again, only a problem at night:(

Doesn't seem to be a fix?

·
Registered
679 Posts
I would adjust it so the low beam was where you want it. When you switch to high beam, the low beam is still on so you have all of the field of vision of the low beam plus the addition of the high to reach out a greater distance. On my old bike, when you switched the bike to high beam the low beam light turned off. I don't see the problem you are having.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would adjust it so the low beam was where you want it. When you switch to high beam, the low beam is still on so you have all of the field of vision of the low beam plus the addition of the high to reach out a greater distance. On my old bike, when you switched the bike to high beam the low beam light turned off. I don't see the problem you are having.:confused::confused:

I do have the low beams adjusted. The problem is that on a dark road at night, the high beam does not illuminate the road at all....just the sky. In other words, it is of absolutely no benefit:( . The low beam isn't bright enough at speed, say 55-60 mph. so I need a high beam.

Most of my other bikes have a high beam that actually illiminates the road, along with a low beam that also works. The problem is that they seem to be interconnected, i.e. i can't adjust them independently.

I think I will adjust the high beam to factory specs, perhaps a slight bit lower, and then leave it on all the time. Kind of a tough alternative, but???

I can't tell from the limited replies if noone else actually has this issue, or, if most just don't ride in the country at night. I will probably take the bike back to the dealer and ask for a fix, based on safety. Not sure what he can do though:confused:

·
Registered
679 Posts
I do have the low beams adjusted. The problem is that on a dark country road at night, the high beam does not illuminate the road at all....just the sky. In other words, it is of absolutely no benefit.:( The low beam isn't bright enough at speed, say 55-60 mph.

Most of my other bikes have a high beam that actually illinates the road.

I think I will adjust the high beam to factory specs, perhaps a slight bit lower, and then leave it on all the time. Kind of a tough alternative, but???

I can't tell from the limited replies if noone else actually has the issue, or, if most just don't ride in the country at night. I will probably take the bike back to the dealer and ask for a fix, based on safetey. Not sure what he can do though:confused:
I am also confused. I ride my bike all the time at night. I don't seem to have that problem at all. I had to replace the low beam bulb while on a trip last fall. It went out about 100 miles from my destination (Albuquerque NM at midnight.) I had to ride until my destination on the high beam only. Other than pissing off the people in front of me I didn't have any problem seeing the road. I only use the high beam when I am on the open road with no one in view. I would pull the ring off the headlight and pull both of the bulbs where they mount into the headlight and look for something that is not letting the bulb seat in the exact spot. I would think that a few thousands of material that didn't let the bulb seat in the designed angle may make a significant difference in the field of light. I don't know, but it may be worth the time to check. Good Luck:)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am also confused. I ride my bike all the time at night. I don't seem to have that problem at all. I had to replace the low beam bulb while on a trip last fall. It went out about 100 miles from my destination (Albuquerque NM at midnight.) I had to ride until my destination on the high beam only. Other than pissing off the people in front of me I didn't have any problem seeing the road. I only use the high beam when I am on the open road with no one in view. I would pull the ring off the headlight and pull both of the bulbs where they mount into the headlight and look for something that is not letting the bulb seat in the exact spot. I would think that a few thousands of material that didn't let the bulb seat in the designed angle may make a significant difference in the field of light. I don't know, but it may be worth the time to check. Good Luck:)

Wes, thx for the reply. Do you have a XC?

If others that ride at night aren't having an issue, I am more comfortable going back to the dealer.

Also, I will check the bulbs, didn't really think of that:eek:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I have a 2010 XC and my only complaint is that winter sucks. :eek:
Do I dare ask where you live? It has been unseasonbly cold here in Socal, but was 71 today. Easy to forget how cold it gets elsewhere.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yes, I live in Utah. It hasn't got above freezing since December 22nd.
Last year I picked up my new XC on November 28th. By this time last year I had put 1500 miles on the bike. Oh well it will eventually get warmer. I rode the bike to the L.A. area twice last year it was great. I hope to ride that way in March weather permitting. I hope you get the light problem resolved.thumb up

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
No headlight issue for me, but I ride the XR, so this might not be of much help.

·
12,983 Posts
Say maybe you'll have to pull the faring and see if every thing is bolted right. Maybe the mounting brackets are not quiet in there holes or maybe its not mounted to the frame or forks the way it should be. Have you called the dealer and ask if he has heard of this.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Say maybe you'll have to pull the faring and see if every thing is bolted right. Maybe the mounting brackets are not quiet in there holes or maybe its not mounted to the frame or forks the way it should be. Have you called the dealer and ask if he has heard of this.
I have pulled the fairing, all seems OK.

When I talked with the service manager, he seemed aware of the issue...his response was that he did the best he could to have the low beam not to low, and the high beam not too high?

Wasn't the answer I was hoping to hear.

The weather is perfect here in SoCal, I plan to ride up to my place in the mountains tomorrow...best place to test the headlights since it is pitch black at night:)

I can see this is not a perceived issue with other riders, so i may just try to figure out how to modify the adjustments, or perhaps replace the whole headlight system. Based on a couple other threads, I don't expect Polaris to help:rolleyes:

I really appreciate all the responses cheers.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
You might want to look into Clearwater LED lights. They make very powerful, yet tiny High Power lights that draw so little current there is no on-off switch. They make a clean and easy mounting for our Cross bikes. The lights are made here in the USA and are high tech almost beyond my comprehension. Just Google "Clearwater LED lights." There are reviews by others for the searching. I checked out every road light I could find and Clearwater won out. I'd add a picture if I knew how.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I'd add a picture if I knew how.
When posting a reply, click the paper clip icon, then the [chose file] button, browse for the image you want uploaded, then click the [upload] button. Submit the reply, and the image(s) will be attached.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
When posting a reply, click the paper clip icon, then the [chose file] button, browse for the image you want uploaded, then click the [upload] button. Submit the reply, and the image(s) will be attached.

Thanks for that tip. I see the paperclip and a lot more icons than I usually get, am I clicking on the wrong thing to continue a thread? So, now that I have it, I'll attach that photo. The Clearwater lights are at the bottom of the crash bar. They attach by means of replacing the one bolt that retains the cowling with one Clearwater provides.

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I see the paperclip and a lot more icons than I usually get, am I clicking on the wrong thing to continue a thread?
If you click the "Quick Reply" button (looks like this: quickreply.gif ), you won't get many of the options you normally get (including the paper clip). If you click the Post Reply button (looks like this: reply.gif ), then you will have all the available options displayed. Hope that helps.

Your ride looks great with those clearwater lights on. Is there a limit on being able to have only one pair, or could two pairs be installed on one bike? Also, how much do they help visibility at night? Thanks.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
For lights so small, they do an excellent job with super bright, white fill in to aid peripheral vision. They have great range, but they aren't those "burning a hole a mile into the night" type lights. For that, you'll want Clearwater's Krista lights. Mine are the Glendas. Checking out their web site will be a real eye opener. They aren't cheap, but what they do is way above the others. Try this: the current draw is less than 2 amps on full power, they remain on all the while the ignition is on, and the wiring is 22 gauge military spec. Installation is a snap.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
For lights so small, they do an excellent job with super bright, white fill in to aid peripheral vision. They have great range, but they aren't those "burning a hole a mile into the night" type lights. For that, you'll want Clearwater's Krista lights. Mine are the Glendas. Checking out their web site will be a real eye opener. They aren't cheap, but what they do is way above the others. Try this: the current draw is less than 2 amps on full power, they remain on all the while the ignition is on, and the wiring is 22 gauge military spec. Installation is a snap.
Wow, those Clearwater Krista lights seem nice! But at $650 a pair they have no chance to make it on my bike. I guess you can call me cheap. :-(

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Last week I realized I have a set of Motolights off of a bike I traded a couple years ago. I just received the brackets to attach to the CX, and will install them in a couple days. I have these on my beamer and like them, although more for conspicuity (is this a word?) than additional illumination.

http://www.motolight.com/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts