Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the past few times I rode at night that my headlight dims while riding. It goes from normal then dims then back to normal. It does this the whole time i'm riding. I really need help cause i'm taking a road trip next weekend. Also, my check engine light came on. I parked and turned the key off, turned it back on, cranked the bike and it wasnt on. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Nathan

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
How old's your battery? Have you measured it under load?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found a loose positive battery cable. I guess it was just a little loose and vibrating while I rode causing the headlight to act funny and the check engine light to come on.

Thanks Nathan

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
Found a loose positive battery cable. I guess it was just a little loose and vibrating while I rode causing the headlight to act funny and the check engine light to come on.

Thanks Nathan
Good detective work. thumb up

Btw, since you're still running the original battery, keep an eye on it, as it will need to be replaced soon - she's already 7 years old. ;)

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
If I had to guess, i'd say the battery is the original. How would I go about testing it under a load?

Thanks for the quick reply
Not to leave the "testing under load" question unanswered, here we go:

To test under load, hook up the voltmeter to your battery terminals, and take a reading with the ignition of the bike in the OFF position. Once you take the reading, flip the ignition ON (do not turn on the engine). You may turn the high beam on as well, to increase the load. Take a reading of the battery voltage now. That is the "under load voltage" which in larger batteries (cars, bikes, boats, etc) will be significantly less if the battery is older. Batteries can trick you when not tested under load, as they could still maintain a decent voltage, but they lose their stamina, and are unable to provide the current needed to operate the bike properly. Obviously this is not the case for you, but I thought I'd answer your question anyway. thumb up

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am glad it was an easy fix. I will try to keep an eye on the battery for sure. I appreciate you explaining the load test to me, I kinda thought it would be something like that but was'nt sure.

Thanks, Nathan

·
Registered
365 Posts
check battery connections regularly guys my bike died suddenly mid corner due to this and just avoided a nasty crash,check mine monthly now and they do loosen off with the v twin vibe!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts