Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my low beam a couple weeks ago with a h7
Bulb from the parts store. Yesterday while riding my friend
Said my headlight was out. I had to ride with the high beam.
High beam is fine. So i replaced the low beam this morning
With another h7 bulb. This time i got the $21 bulb instead
Of the $14 bulb. I changed the bulb and rode about 5 miles
And stopped to check it and it was out again.
Not sure wtf is going on. And no i didn't touch the bulb or
Anything like that. Anyone had this happen?

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
I'm no electrician but, perhaps some sort of surge coming though forcing more power into the light causing it to blow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is the bulb actually blown? Check the low beam wiring for any defects in the insulation. Could be grounding out against the housing.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I replaced my low beam a couple weeks ago with a h7
Bulb from the parts store. Yesterday while riding my friend
Said my headlight was out. I had to ride with the high beam.
High beam is fine. So i replaced the low beam this morning
With another h7 bulb. This time i got the $21 bulb instead
Of the $14 bulb. I changed the bulb and rode about 5 miles
And stopped to check it and it was out again.
Not sure wtf is going on. And no i didn't touch the bulb or
Anything like that. Anyone had this happen?
Why did you replace it in the first place. Did the original also burn out? Perhaps the h7 is not compatible with these bikes. Have you tried to put the original bulb back in and see if it has any similar problems?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Have you checked into the victoryhid.com headlight setup? I highly recommend it you already paid for a single bulb setup with what you burnt out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
So you can check the voltage at the light socket with a multimeter. Not likely it's the prob but voltage regulators do get goofy. If you read swings in voltage that track with the revs it needs attention. More than just lights will suffer.
More likely is it's just rattling around. The socket could be worn and you aren't getting good contact, the socket could be tired and sloppy and rattling around in the bucket, the bucket could be tired and sloppy and rattling around on the front end.
What, it's a 2008. Five or six years in. Yep. Could just be showing some wear.
You turn the key and the low beam is on. Until you turn the key off the low beam is carrying the freight. High beam you switch on and off but low is steady on, making heat and drawing juice. It's more likely to fail.

What dtmmil said is true. Short money for HID, fairly ez install and it draws less (once lit up). It's a good solution if you don't have voltage issues.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got this bike last year with a few hundred miles. It has about 6500
On it now. My bike is probably better than showroom condition.
Extremely clean and very well maintained. Nothing is sloppy or loose.
My multi meter is junk so I'll get a good one and that's my first step.
But what should it read? My first thought was voltage regulator but,
Wouldn't I have a problem with all my other lights??

Not sure if it's related, but my engine light has came on and off for the last two days... Bike runs perfect, but seems like a weird coincidence. Bike is running perfect. No problems at all!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Stuff that includes rubber or polymer changes with age. Electrical connections oxidize, gravity imposes its will. You can park the bike in a hermetically sealed vault and things will still degrade. Certainly care and maintenance make a world of difference but things fail regardless. Not dissing your machine or your effort to keep it up. Feces occurs.
Anyway, check the voltage at the battery, key off. Let's say 11 something volts. Find the low beam connection on the light socket. Ground the meter to frame or better yet back to battery. Turn key on and shut off whatever electrics you can knowing that the low beam would be on if the bulb were in place and working. Place the pos in the low beam connector and get good contact. ou should see just about the same reading on the meter as when the battery was connected, 11 and change.
Yes means you are delivering the juice as provided to the light.
No means the circuit on the positive side is faulting. Wiring or relay, some detective work required.
Assuming yes, move the meter ground probe to the ground connection in the light socket. Should be the same number again.
Yes, ground wire is also good. No, ground fault.
During this operation, check the socket for loose or discolored prongs, signs of heat burn and so forth.Try the socket on the burnt bulb and mount the assembly into the bucket. Does anything have any give? Does it appear that anything may have rubbed on anything or had the ability to vibrate?
You can repeat this with the bike running but the number should be in the 14+ volt range and though it can happen that you get different results like the voltage is equal between battery reading and headlight reading without the motor running but then acts flaky with motor running, pretty much if you get good numbers without the engine the light circuit is good and you have either physical problems or voltage swings that a hot bulb can't handle.

There's other tests for that. By the by, don't by a 10 dollar Auto Zone multi meter unless you want to trust 10 dollar results.

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
I got this bike last year with a few hundred miles. It has about 6500
On it now. My bike is probably better than showroom condition.
Extremely clean and very well maintained. Nothing is sloppy or loose.
My multi meter is junk so I'll get a good one and that's my first step.
But what should it read? My first thought was voltage regulator but,
Wouldn't I have a problem with all my other lights??

Not sure if it's related, but my engine light has came on and off for the last two days... Bike runs perfect, but seems like a weird coincidence. Bike is running perfect. No problems at all!
Take a quick peak at your fuses, and make sure previous owner did not upgrade the fuse size (or worst, put a temporary jumper) which would allow the bulb to blow.

That being said, most likely your voltage regulator is going out, and sends out voltage spikes. Check the voltage when the bike's off, and then check it again while it's idling. You should see exactly +2 Volts difference. Keep measuring it, and make sure you don't see any spikes.

If you have some dielectric grease, add it to the connectors, as this will eliminate poor contact, which is a possible issue as the others have mentioned.

Let us know what you find out.

Have you checked into the victoryhid.com headlight setup? I highly recommend it you already paid for a single bulb setup with what you burnt out.
I concur, although I am as biased as one can be towards the HID setup. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am having the same problem on my 07 vegas 8-ball. i just bought it and the original owner had a bullet headlight installed, and when i got it the bulb was blown. put a new one in and it worked for about 150 miles, then blew again. i bought a bulb from NAPA (nothing special), not thinking it would matter, but maybe it does? all other lights (high beam, blinkers, brake light) work perfect.

I dont want to just get an HID kit to run around the problem, i want to solve it!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am having the same problem on my 07 vegas 8-ball. i just bought it and the original owner had a bullet headlight installed, and when i got it the bulb was blown. put a new one in and it worked for about 150 miles, then blew again. i bought a bulb from NAPA (nothing special), not thinking it would matter, but maybe it does? all other lights (high beam, blinkers, brake light) work perfect.

I dont want to just get an HID kit to run around the problem, i want to solve it!
This is what I'm wondering... Is the h7 bulb from the dealer
Different than the one from the parts store? I did see online
There is a h7 hd bulb? Obviously I'm not the only one this has happened to now.

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
This is what I'm wondering... Is the h7 bulb from the dealer
Different than the one from the parts store? I did see online
There is a h7 hd bulb? Obviously I'm not the only one this has happened to now.
Nope, they are all the same. Different brand, different slogan, but they all have the same mount, require the same power, and provide the same light. Granted some are cheaper than others (depending on how much child labor was involved, and quality of materials used), but it does not matter where you get it. There is no such thing as "incompatible" bulb.
Try dielectric grease on the connectors, and if the problem goes away, you can add your name to the long list of poor contact victims. Keep in mind that the headlight is a moisture magnet so using dielectric grease is never a bad idea.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i will play around with my multimeter tonight and report my findings.

TorqueMonster, what headlight do you have on your bike? stock bucket headlight or Bullet?

·
13,177 Posts
Go to auto parts store and ask for a H-4 bulb 35 low and I think high is 55.
The brighter the bulb the shorter the life. Do Not waist your money on the white bulbs they don't last.
Check your ground wire inside the headlight bucket and all your wires in the headlight socket. They should not have a lot of free play in them. Look for a wire strand sticking out that might touch one of the other terminals. You could have a bad light socket where under vibration there shorting out. Auto store would have a headlight socket

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
Go to auto parts store and ask for a H-4 bulb 35 low and I think high is 55.
The brighter the bulb the shorter the life. Do Not waist your money on the white bulbs they don't last.
Check your ground wire inside the headlight bucket and all your wires in the headlight socket. They should not have a lot of free play in them. Look for a wire strand sticking out that might touch one of the other terminals. You could have a bad light socket where under vibration there shorting out. Auto store would have a headlight socket
Your bike uses the H4, but their bikes do not. Different year/model, different bulbs. At any rate, the bulb type is not the issue here, as they were able to install it - wrong bulb (like an H4) would just not have fit their headlights.

Good advise on wattage though. You want to replace halogen 35 watt with 35 watt, and 55 watt with 55 watt. thumb up Replacing a 35 watt bulb with 55 watt will either blow the bulb due to excessive heat for which the headlight is not designed to handle, either melt the plastic reflector.

·
13,177 Posts
Please if your going to solve this go to auto parts store and buy a meter. Now and in the coming years it will be a great tool for you

1 - 20 of 55 Posts