Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a suggestion for a headlight modulator for a 2013 Victory CrossCountry Tour? I read somewhere that you can't hook it up to the high beam ?
Thanks
Jim

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Does anyone have a suggestion for a headlight modulator for a 2013 Victory CrossCountry Tour? I read somewhere that you can't hook it up to the high beam ?
Thanks
Jim
At least in California (but most likely in most other states as well), modulating your low beam is illegal. So if you don't put it on the high beam, where else will you put it?

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well perhaps but I read somewhere you can't modulate the high beam on a victory cross roads tour . So I am asking. I have a honda vtx and I gave the high beam on that modulated . So perhaps someone could chime in with an answer.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
when i see those things i just think of how much life the irritating thing is taking out of the headlight, i personally hate them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A modulating headlight actually increases the life of the bulbs. And so what if YOU. Gate them. They work. I really don't give a **** who I irritate as long as they don't pull in front of me.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i always get a kick out of all the people turning their bikes into xmas trees so they get seen, you will get seen or not either way , if im not looking at you i wont see you however bright you are.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Ride safe everyone

i always get a kick out of all the people turning their bikes into xmas trees so they get seen, you will get seen or not either way , if im not looking at you i wont see you however bright you are.

YOU are a rider. You look for bikes.

MANY other people don't.
How in the hell can you dog a fellow rider for trying to be safer????
Flashing lights draw the eye.

Be safe guys!!!

MANY other people don't.

Be safe guys!!!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Ride safe everyone

MANY other people don't.

Be safe guys!!!

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
my point, flashing light, tons of lights, no lights, if the person thats going to hit you isnt looking at you they wont see you whether your a semi or a pedal bike! one time i almost got hit i was sitting at a stop light, summertime, straight pipes, car next to me window open, light turned green we started moving and she cut into my lane, had no idea i was there, my bike was loud and almost as long as her car, still no idea i was there!! so you can do what you want, add all the lighting you want, no guarantee they will see you!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
... but I read somewhere you can't modulate the high beam on a victory cross roads tour...
I read somewhere not to trust everything I read somewhere. :rolleyes:

A modulating headlight actually increases the life of the bulbs...
No, it does not. Life of a bulb is decreased each time it's turned on, except LED's, which is not what we're talking about.

So, where have you been getting your information lately? :ltr:

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
I have a Kisan plug & play modulator on my LOW BEAM, reason being I ride on the low beam 99.9% of the time. I also snip off the photocell and replace it with a toggle switch mounted to the left handlebar. That way, I can flip it on only when I need it, like on urban freeways and near shopping areas.
Have never been hassled by the man about it and have never had a headlight bulb burn out either.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had a modulator on my Kingpin when I bought, but I took it off. I do have the rear brake modulator that flashes when I apply the brakes. This comes in handy to grab attention. I'm not going to get into the legality of the headlight modulator and all that, people will do what they want, legal or not. The bottom line, we have to be the ones to see everything, because in general, the cagers don't pay any attention. Cellphones, makeup, food, and all the rest take precedence for way too many people on the road.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
In an attempt to, er, shed some light on this topic, here's some info:

Conspicuity:

I ran a modulator on my first couple of bikes, going back about 10 - 15 years ago. I found the concept to be excellent for conspicuity -- getting noticed. Of course, there are brain-dead drivers who will notice nothing, but when I was using modulators I had the fewest drivers pull out in front, I had cars pull over (thinking I was law enforcement or some emergency vehicle), etc.

If you don't believe this, just do your own experimentation: add a modulator, and make your own judgment on this after a few months.

I now have a "light triangle" using caliper-mounted Motolights for conspicuity. Based on years using both methods, a non-modulating triangle is good, but not as good as a modulator. Yep, just my observations. And, yep, try different methods yourself, for a long period, and see what you think.

Legality:

Motorcycle headlight modulators are legal in all 50 states -- the federal code supersedes state laws.

That said, in my saddlebag I carried a print-out of the relevant US Code, to show to LEOs. I was riding in Massachusetts one time (I live in NY), and was waiting at the head of a line of vehicles stopped for a construction zone. The MA state trooper came over to me and said words to the effect of, "What the #$%^ is that thing?" I explained how it was legal -- it's a modulator, not a multi-light "wig-wag," and produced the sheets of US Code. He told me to turn it off or tell it to the judge, so I turned it off. (Unlike Ric, I kept the photocell in place to make sure the modulator wasn't on at night -- which is illegal -- but like Ric, I had added an in-line on/off switch. You may also want to switch from hi- to low-beam, or vice-versa, or use your own switch, if stuck in a traffic jam; a modulator would be pretty annoying to the car in front of you, and not serving much of a purpose, if nobody's moving.)

Along similar lines, maybe half a year ago the AMA magazine noted in "State Watch" that Kansas was in the process of passing a state law saying modulators were legal. I wrote to the AMA about this; if you're an AMA member, you may recall seeing a series of letters that my letter started. I asked in my letter something like, "Am I missing something? Why do they need to do this, why are you supporting this, doesn't this just muddy the waters, because the fed law supersedes state law already? Right?" They told me, yep, I'm right, but -- and I'm paraphrasing here -- there's so much misunderstanding by state LEOs (like the MA Statee, above) that the AMA is all for anything that helps get the word out -- on the state or local level -- that modulators are legal... even if such a state law is technically not necessary, redundant, etc.

Why I Stopped Using a Modulator:

I got tired of being hassled. Also, since I tend to ride a few MPH above posted limits, I did not want to draw attention to myself from a LEO parked on the side of an Interstate. For instance, maybe I could cruise at 6 or 7MPH over the limit without being stopped, but if I also had a modulator going, maybe that would be just enough of a burr up someone's butt that I would get pulled over, anyway.

Low or High Beam:

Either one is OK. I'll refer to the short excerpt of the US Code found at webBikeWorld, here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/Modulator-regs.htm . Do your own Googling of .GOV sites and you should be able to come up with the real deal in a few minutes, if you want the official, longer, version of this section of code. (For instance, you could look at page 249 of this .gov PDF document: http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/TP-108-13.pdf .)

In any case, here's an excerpt of that US Code excerpt:

S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity, provided that:

(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 <plus-minus> 40 cycles per minute.

(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.

(c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.

[snip]

But... I think you'll find that most or all modulators do not work with HID bulbs. So, for instance, if you have a '12 XCT, you can't use the modulator on the low beam, as it's HID. Same thing if you've installed a Vic or after-market HID kit. You can confirm this electronic restriction by going to modulator vendor sites, which generally mention this on their FAQ pages for modulators.

Bulb Life:

If you're not familiar with modulators, you'll note from (b) and (c), above, that the bulb isn't actually turned off as part of the modulating cycle; rather, its brightness is varied. Thus, it actually may be possible that modulators increase bulb life, as a result of not operating a bulb at its maximum brightness the whole time, i.e., less current through it than an unmodulated bulb. In short, modulating is not turning a bulb off and on.

Regardless of effects on bulb longevity, prolonging bulb life is not why folks use modulators. Which is to say, I don't think we need to get the engineers involved in this part of the discussion -- I think it's essentially a non-issue.

~~~

Like everything else on the 'net, you don't have to believe any of this. But if you don't, I hope I provided you some areas to start your own real research.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts