Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. I have a 07 Hammer. While reading some threads about HID headlights it occurred to me that when I turn on my Hi beams my low beam turns off. If I use the momentary feature of the headlight switch both Hi and Low turn on. Is this normal? I know this sounds like a stupid question and perhaps it is ignorance on my part but this is the way my bike has been since I got it 4 years ago. I am planning on ordering the HID hi and low kit from CrossRoads and this became a concern after doing some reading on the forum. Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You are correct. That is the way my Kingpin's headlight works as well.

It is a problem to turn HID off and on often, it shortens the bulb and ignitor life and HID takes about 10 seconds to achieve full brightness (warm up) so they make poor lights for switching on/off.

This is why OEM systems use either bi-xenon projectors with a cutoff shield or they use HID low beams that remain on when a halogen high beam is turned on.

I just ordered the HID kit for my Kingpin but only the low beam. I rarely use the high beam anyway, I like the wider spread of the low beam, just aim it up a bit so you can see far enough up the road to safely ride at night...if cars get blinded...hey that is better than being hit because they can't see you!

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
It is a problem to turn HID off and on often, it shortens the bulb and ignitor life and HID takes about 10 seconds to achieve full brightness (warm up) so they make poor lights for switching on/off.
With lifetime warranty on the bulbs, I would worry about other things in life, but that's just my 2 cents. cheers

Also, regarding the warming up of the HIDs, keep in mind that as soon as you turn on the HID light, it already is brighter than the stock halogen. It continues to get brighter as it fully ignites, over the first 5-6 seconds of operation. But by no means is it dimmer than its halogen counterpart at any given time. ;)

I just ordered the HID kit for my Kingpin but only the low beam. I rarely use the high beam anyway, I like the wider spread of the low beam, just aim it up a bit so you can see far enough up the road to safely ride at night...if cars get blinded...hey that is better than being hit because they can't see you!
I strongly recommend not pointing your headlight upwards. Please aim it per user manual's instructions. Not only you risk blinding on-coming traffic (which you said you did not care about), but you also lift portion of the light meant to hit the pavement in front of your bike, leaving you with less visibility (which I assume you do care about). :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
:I agree:

Plus, if you ever ride with people they will not appreciate you behind them. I ride with a guy that aims his headlight high for the same reason, he always gets the honor of leading even if he doesn't know where we're going lol.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I bought my bike 4/20/12. I have never turned my low beams on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would it hurt anything on a 07 hammer to have both the high beam and low beam on at the same time ? Say if I were to alter the switch so both would operate when the high beam was on. As it is now the high beam goes farther down the road but it is not very bright. Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Would it hurt anything on a 07 hammer to have both the high beam and low beam on at the same time ? Say if I were to alter the switch so both would operate when the high beam was on. As it is now the high beam goes farther down the road but it is not very bright. Thanks for the replies guys.
Possible melting of the plastic reflector. Too much heat, which is why they probably have them alternated. One of the main drawbacks of the halogen lights is heat - along with low light output to power consumption, and short bulb life. :p Not to deviate from the subject, but if you do have my HIDs on, they burn 70-80°F cooler than the stock halogen bulbs, so in that case you might be able to get away with such mod.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Crossroads, I will be ordering my HID from you in the next day or so. Other than the heat concern you mentioned would the extra power draw be a concern? I was told today from a dealer that the 05 Hammer he had in the shop both Hi and low beams came on when the Hi beam was activated so I did the modification to the switch but I haven't had it on for longer than a few minutes or so. I don't enjoy riding at night like I used too. I guess my eyes are getting old. Was hoping brighter lights would help.

·
Registered
146 Posts
With lifetime warranty on the bulbs, I would worry about other things in life, but that's just my 2 cents. cheers

Also, regarding the warming up of the HIDs, keep in mind that as soon as you turn on the HID light, it already is brighter than the stock halogen. It continues to get brighter as it fully ignites, over the first 5-6 seconds of operation. But by no means is it dimmer than its halogen counterpart at any given time. ;)

I strongly recommend not pointing your headlight upwards. Please aim it per user manual's instructions. Not only you risk blinding on-coming traffic (which you said you did not care about), but you also lift portion of the light meant to hit the pavement in front of your bike, leaving you with less visibility (which I assume you do care about). :)

The best solution would be to rewire the headlight so that the low and high beam bulbs stay on at the same time, when you turn the highbeam off it simple goes off.

I am not talking about pointing the low beam up into the trees, just up enough so it doesn't truncate 50' in front of the bike. If you have ever driven a car with factory aimed HID projectors you will see that the beam cutoff is up the road 50-75 yards on a level road which allows you to safely drive at night without highbeams as long as you aren't in hilly terrain where highbeam use becomes necessary.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Thanks Crossroads, I will be ordering my HID from you in the next day or so. Other than the heat concern you mentioned would the extra power draw be a concern? I was told today from a dealer that the 05 Hammer he had in the shop both Hi and low beams came on when the Hi beam was activated so I did the modification to the switch but I haven't had it on for longer than a few minutes or so. I don't enjoy riding at night like I used too. I guess my eyes are getting old. Was hoping brighter lights would help.
No power concern. The only issue to keep an eye for is heat.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
So you've had your bike for over a year and have never started the bike?dance 1
What can i say.....the dealer said I have to do first service at 500 miles. I figure it will take me 2-3 years to save up enough money to pay for it. :D

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
You need to get past that 8BallHammer. You spent a ton of money on the bike itself so maybe you can find some way to pay for that 500 miles service.
Just saying.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
In 20 yrs I'll get my first social security check, maybe I could do it then. Probably be able to fill the tank again too :)

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
In 20 yrs I'll get my first social security check, maybe I could do it then. Probably be able to fill the tank again too :)
LOL... in 20 years, your first social security check might only cover the air in the tires. :D cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
LOL... in 20 years, your first social security check might only cover the air in the tires. :D cheers
:D In 20 years Social Security will be just an extra tax on top of our Air You Breathe tax, Travel tax, Highway use tax, Healthy individual tax, Motorcycle rider tax, freedom of speech tax, firearm owner tax, American flag display tax, etc., etc.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
There is no such thing as a Social Security check. I signed up to start drawing money for April and they forced me to give them bank information so they could do direct deposit. In about 3 weeks I will see if they actually follow through with the money to my account. I am not holding my breath but that will be the "April" payment near the end of May.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
So you've had your bike for over a year and have never started the bike?dance 1
I've actually started it 3 times, but my wife complains about the carbon monoxide in the bedroom every time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just installed the HID kit from VictoryHID.com Thanks CrossRoads for the quick service. The install was pretty straightforward the only small glitch was needing to reverse the Low beam plug from the bike to the ballast. I do have a few questions for you CrossRoads if you can answer here perhaps it may be of use to someone else. I ordered the 6000K hi and low beam. The low beam housing must be modified so the HID wires are able to pass through . After the modification the housing will not be able to hold the original halogen bulb if you were ever in a pinch and needed quick replacement. is the original housing a Victory only part or is it something that could be purchased from an auto parts store. The second question is , maybe it is just my imagination but is it normal for the color of the hi beam to vary slightly from the low beam? The insulated wire that runs to the top of the bulb is blue on the hi beam and white on the low beam is this relevant to anything? kelvin rating? Thanks for the help. I haven't had a chance to try it out at night yet because the weather has not been cooperative but I look forward to it.thumb up

1 - 20 of 22 Posts