Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the barrage of messages today - I'm planning out my winter upgrades. :)

So, why would I want to upgrade my headlight from factory, and, if I did, what would you recommend I upgrade it to? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Sorry for the barrage of messages today - I'm planning out my winter upgrades. :)

So, why would I want to upgrade my headlight from factory, and, if I did, what would you recommend I upgrade it to? Thanks!
A safe upgrade is the victory HID lights. Excellent light output over stock. Www.victoryhid.com

The other option is an led Beacon light. If you can find one, it may be spendy.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I recently replaced the Beacon LED with HID. I know it seems a bit of a regression, but I really like the beam spread much better than the LED. The LED may be a tad brighter, but the HID spreads the light more, illuminating more of the sides of the road and seems to illuminate further objects better. For me, anyway. I still have it sitting in the box. I'd sell it for $200 shipped if you are interested. I also have a cheap Chinese knockoff LED but that is way worse.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I have an LED low beam and an HID high beam. Why? I have a headlight modulator on the low beam and HIDs do not like that, but it's OK with the LED bulb. I call the modulator my "light horn" because it gets a lot of attention from drivers wanting to egress from a driveway and left lane bandits - especially at night. HIDs need warm up time and are not suited for use with a modulator.
The LED has a cleaner upper cutoff and are not annoying to oncoming drivers as are HIDs.
The crowning touch light-wise is a pair of Clearwater 3,000 lumen (each) Darlas mounted to the cowling under the crash bar. Pricey, but worth every cent, if you think of them as not only great lights, but life insurance too. They make for a triangle of light, the safest arrangement, as seen on RR engines. They are wired into both the high and low beam, with a handlebar controller to wick the low beam down so it won't dazzle oncoming, but won't leave you without adequate light either. They go to 100% when you switch to high beam.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I recently replaced the Beacon LED with HID. I know it seems a bit of a regression, but I really like the beam spread much better than the LED. The LED may be a tad brighter, but the HID spreads the light more, illuminating more of the sides of the road and seems to illuminate further objects better. For me, anyway. I still have it sitting in the box. I'd sell it for $200 shipped if you are interested. I also have a cheap Chinese knockoff LED but that is way worse.
I agree. The Hid has more punch than the LEDs

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I went the other direction. HID in low beam and a halogen hi beam with a modulator. Brite low beam with the hi beam flash does same as a previous fellow said. Helps peps see ya. I also have some LED driving lights down on the crash bars.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
HID running lights are better then stock and better then LED, but HID for your high beam does not work very well, i burned my one out, coz it takes 1 second to have full power,

So i bought a LED headlight for my Jackpot and put the HID in the CCT, running light,

Best light ever ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had hid in low and high beam as well. And like others are saying there's a full brightness delay that didn't work for myself either. I did switch back to halogen in the high beam. Low beam is still the low beam

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I too mentioned the 'warm-up' period when using HID for high beam, but I also have a pair of high-power fog lights on that circuit, I can still flash-to-pass or something. I just like the way HID illuminates as compared to the LED.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts