Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Heads up to 2010 CR Owners.

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Richie271 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been doing quit a bit of riding but for the last month or so I have had a loud clunking like rattle from the rear of the bike every time I hit a bump or rough road. As hard as I tried, I could not find the source of the noise.

The other day I worked on the rear brake caliper, thinking it was the source because the day before, I found out if I did a quick, on off, touch of the rear brake, I heard a noise that was the same frequency of the clunking sound that I have been having. I also found it I dragged the rear brake while crossing a bump, no sound at all. While spinning the rear wheel by hand, I was hearing another sound coming from the wheel that made me think the one of the wheel bearings, that I just replaced last tire change, went bad.

Well, yesterday, I backed the bike out of the bike garage, raised the rear wheel of the ground with a platform jack and started closely checking out the rear wheel.

What I discovered was that the outer rim of the brake rotor was so loose, because all the buttons that hold the outer rim to the inner part of the rotor were so loose, that the outer part of the disk was just flopping around and causing all the noise that I have been hearing. So now I knew I must replace the rear rotor.

While doing some research on the net, I discovered that this is a fairly common problem on the 2010 CR bikes that I had never heard about before.

I have a used replacement rotor from a 2012, (the newer part number), arriving tomorrow to fix the problem. I will pull the rear wheel off tomorrow to do the job and at that time decide if I will install my new Avon Cobra Chrome tire to replace the Chrome that is on the bike now, or keep the old one on for a while longer. The old tire is worn square but seems to have plenty rubber left and is not down to the wear bars yet.

See less See more
#2 ·
This sounds like it should be a safety recall on Polaris's part IMO. I would report it to the NHTSA as well as to Polaris. Probably won't get you anywhere but who knows.

#3 ·
I finished the job yesterday. I installed the replacement used rotor and I decided to replaced the rear Avon Cobra Chrome tire with my new Avon Cobra Chrome . I still had plenty of rubber on the old tire at 13,154 miles but the tire was worn square from all the highway riding that I do. The tire was throwing the rear of the bike around when traveling over imperfections in the roadway and I was constantly having to correct the steering. I already felt the difference when putting the bike into it's garage. There are some elevation changes in the pavement leading to the garage that was throwing the bike from side to side with the old tire and I did not have that problem with the new tire. Riding the bike should be a lot less work now.😃 Oh, I also washed the drive belt and the drive pulleys before putting the bike away.

I am looking forward to trying the new rotor and hopefully not having all that noise from the rear of the bike when passing over bumps and rough pavement. I will report back as soon as I have a chance to try it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.