Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be kind of a rant. The weather has been crap here and I'm getting crabby without my rides, I want to let it out.
Over the years I've owned this XC heat and buffeting have been major issues and hampered my enjoyment of the bike. I believe they are also the majority of problems most owners have to deal with. I've pissed away lots of money and time trying to work around these. I don't need to tell you all how great the XC is in power, handling, reliability, ergonomics and looks which is why I've worked to fix the heat & buffeting. At this point my patience has run out and I've done all I can and care to do to remedy the issues. Since, pulling the cats, buying a heat shield(again), adding another type of fork lowers and trimming the fairing deflectors the highest the temps have been up here was brief afternoons in the mid 70s and I didn't like what I felt. There was already heat pooling around my thighs, when I opened the air flow up to cool down, the flow was all crazy, like buffeting but on my legs. wth?

So here's where I'm at. I made a few small adjustments. Next week I have a 5 day, 2k mile trip planned with all kinds of riding in the mix, its the XC's last chance. If I have to deal with heat and buffeting that interfere with my riding enjoyment on this trip, that will be that, and this bike will be getting the X.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Pain have you ever ridden a Streetglide, RoadGlide, Goldwing, Yamaha Venture?, Kawasaki Nomad?,... I have ridden the first 3 on my list and they are two fold worse than the XC. Just sayin.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pain have you ever ridden a Streetglide, RoadGlide, Goldwing, Yamaha Venture?, Kawasaki Nomad?,... I have ridden the first 3 on my list and they are two fold worse than the XC. Just sayin.
I know how good the XC is...I just needed a bitch session tonight.
I hope by the end of next week's ride I've gotten re-attached to my bike and I don't have to give it the X ;)

I have the same bike...same year...same color...I don't have the issue you complain about. ...
No you don't and do you have cats or lowers, your bike is also in a completely different attitude with the raised front end and lowered back.
I think only a few people have experienced the type of overheating I did last year, it was unbelievable(LILMAGS got a taste of it for about 15 minutes...) So I might be over reacting to any I feel now...but I can't help it. Hopefully it will all work itself out on the trip.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
What do you plan on doing to work it out over a 2000 mile trip? If it's bad around town, how do expect it to improve on a trip?

If it comes to the X, have you ever considered the Moto Guzzi California 1400? They have a very unique style to the various California models and they can be a very solid motorcycle. I rode Moto Guzzi for over 30 years and enjoyed most of them. In all those years, engine heat was never an issue. Unfortunately, their dealer network can make Victory look nearly perfect. Ural likely has a better dealer network than Moto Guzzi does at this point. But if you have a good dealer to properly set the bike up, great. If not, do NOT expect it to come out of the crate running right or properly adjusted.

·
Banned
471 Posts
No cats....no fork lowers....

The lowers made the bike run to hot, and I don't care for the appearance

Went with a 2 into 1 so the cats went by by...

Pain...I'm flattered that you followed what I did to my bike...

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you plan on doing to work it out over a 2000 mile trip? If it's bad around town, how do expect it to improve on a trip?

If it comes to the X, have you ever considered the Moto Guzzi California 1400? They have a very unique style to the various California models and they can be a very solid motorcycle. I rode Moto Guzzi for over 30 years and enjoyed most of them. In all those years, engine heat was never an issue. Unfortunately, their dealer network can make Victory look nearly perfect. Ural likely has a better dealer network than Moto Guzzi does at this point. But if you have a good dealer to properly set the bike up, great. If not, do NOT expect it to come out of the crate running right or properly adjusted.
I love the Guzzi's but I have other rides on my mind before I go to one.
I don't expect anything to "work out" on this trip, except finding out whether with the changes I made, I have a tolerable balance between heat and buffeting or not.

No cats....no fork lowers....

The lowers made the bike run to hot, and I don't care for the appearance

Went with a 2 into 1 so the cats went by by...

Pain...I'm flattered that you followed what I did to my bike...
You have on of my favorite builds ;)
and see you did experience some of what I was talking about with your lowers on, imagine that x10 with the over heating cats....

·
Registered
77 Posts
From the looks of things, it may not get over 65 degrees all summer. Sorry, had to get that out. The last 2 weeks have been horrendous around here. I thought about putting the cover back on her and checking back in July.

Pain, enjoy the trip man. If it gets warm, don't worry about until you get back. How many times do you get to do this?

BTW, you know I'm always ready to talk about heat issues!!! hehe

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
+1. The Nomad is pretty bad, and the Vaquero is even worse. They get just as hot and have the added bonus of a high-speed fan to blow the 200 degree air directly onto your junk. Hell, I owned a Vulcan 900 for 2 years, and I'd rather sit on my XR in 90 degree weather than that Kawasaki.

·
Registered
569 Posts
+1. The Nomad is pretty bad, and the Vaquero is even worse. They get just as hot and have the added bonus of a high-speed fan to blow the 200 degree air directly onto your junk. Hell, I owned a Vulcan 900 for 2 years, and I'd rather sit on my XR in 90 degree weather than that Kawasaki.
Ha, 90° that's nothin! Come join us in Texas in July and August 100° to 110°. I notice the heat but I guess I am just used to it. :laugh

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've owned an '03 Wing ... never felt any heat whatsoever.

Also owned an '85, '87, and '06 Venture ... same thing ... no heat.

As for my Vic, I rode in Calif last summer when it was 115 and ya, I felt the heat but not to the point I couldn't live with it ... for a while at least. Here in Vancouver and the interior of BC is where I do most of my riding. Summer temps range from around 80 - 100. Only when it gets above 90 I feel a bit uncomfortable with the engine heat but not enough to be thinking I'm gonna get rid of the bike. After all, it is a V-twin air cooled motorcycle ... waddya expect? an air conditioned Caddy? LOL

Engine heat and wind buffeting are a part of the experience.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay....I admit this time I was being a little bitch about the heat. Its probably nothing, just me being too touchy about the subject.
Like I said, I'll know after this upcoming tour if I'm keeping the bike.

All I can say is of all the bikes I've ever ridden, I've never experienced such obnoxious buffeting or heat like I did last summer on this XC....It was craziness. I'm not dealing with those issues again season, even if that means I get another bike.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I adjust my Baker air wings with my feet. I ride all year long.
That may not help you with the XC. Just saying.
I rode both my Vision and a CCT but preferred the Vision. They also make them for the CR and CCT.
Victory Vision

·
Registered
308 Posts
Bummer

Pain: I rode to Colorado in 105+ heat on my 13 Vision and the only heat I had trouble with was , well, the heat in the air. I didn't notice heat form the engine but then maybe my skin has become a bit thick. I've heard guys with "lowers" on a Vision to cool off or heat up (depending on the season) but as I say - haven't noticed it one way or the other. Brother, I figure you just need to get out and ride let some of that shinola roll off. Do the ride, enjoy and let us know how you feel when you get back. You know, a bad day riding.......

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Well, ride what you like. No sense in having to be uncomfortable if you don't have to. Buffeting is zero fun, no argument there.

Reactions: ozpacman

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The problem last year was with my bike....not with my toleration level of hot weather.
Do I like hot, humid weather? not particularly. Has it ever stopped me from riding? never. Until this XC
My cats were overheating and radiating ridiculous heat which made, riding in higher temps miserable to intolerable. I almost vomited once after a 45min ride when it was 95(with the hard lowers on) and got 1st degree burns on my calves another time running with a fork mounted lowers. Once I took the the lower wind controls off, I didn't feel the heat but got blasted with buffeting. It was a rough and expensive summer trying to find solutions...Luckily, I found a make shift solution and fall came because I was a hair away from unloading the XC then.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
wow, yeah...can't blame you there. however it works out, best of luck!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
There are some folks who just can't tolerate higher temps. PaiN is possibly one of them .. nothin wrong with that, it's just the way it is.

Similar to RoteBaron, when I was down in Calif in 110..115 degree heat, I couldn't tell the difference between the heat of the air and the heat coming off the bike ... it was just HOT.

Me .. I like warm, dry weather and can handle higher temps. Where I live, it's cool and wet most of the time Oct thru March and it gets into my bones and I feel cold most of the time. We get maybe 1-2 months of weather that I really like. If I had my "druthers", I'd not be living here but I don't wear the pants in this family LOL

Reactions: Norpus
1 - 20 of 166 Posts