Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have another heatwave going on here in the Northeast. Monday was a scorcher. I was riding with my wife, with the close-outs off and deflectors open. I was okay but hot from the weather. About two hours into the ride, my wife who is normally quiet and still back there is moving around and acting kind of bitchy. She finally says we have to stop for water ASAP. At the stop she tells me she's "cooking form heat coming form underneath her".....? :confused: I said; you never complained before, to which she snapped; "I never felt heat like this before"....We decided to stop, have a late lunch and let temps cool down before we headed home.
As much as most girls care about these matters she was following along on the heat issues with the lowers and all that. At lunch, I explained to her that the excess heat is coming from the cats made worse by the tune the bike has and at this point the only thing left to do was get an exhaust system without cats.....Without missing a beat she said, "get one then"!
I'm not doing anything like that this year, the heat will be gone soon and I just don't feel like wrenching and tuning it again. Over the winter I'll do my research and maybe get a new system installed next year.

I wonder how hot a Silver Smoke Chieftain is...........? :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
Try lining the bottom of your seat pan with some heat reflective tape like thermo-tech. I am considering this myself- I am in Texas!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Monday was just plain hot around here. I complained about the heat with my lowers. My buddies complained about the heat without the lowers. I just think it was the weather.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Didn't notice the heat until I put on mesh gear, then, Holy Cow! .. :eek

...I unhooked the O2 sensors - Take that, EPA fckwits!! - and that helped a tiny bit.. But you may be saying goodbye to your tune as soon as you do that..

I found that leaving the lower vents closed, helped a little - puffed and sucked the heat in different directions etc.. I dunno.. Play with the aerodynamics of the thing.. Might help..

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Id junk it and buy a Honda ....:grin

·
13,262 Posts
On the vision with no lower wind deflectors I added sheepskin unhooked the 02's and a lot of gold bond powder. The sheepskin and powder helps but not enough. I add installation under the seat and maybe it helped a touch. Maybe wood beads would be the answer
When it gets into mid 90's with high dew point and humidity I don't think there is nothing you can do.

Keep your eye out for stock header pipes and pull the cats out of them. Like ebay craigslist or facebook

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just picked up a bead rider seat cover, melting my butt for the last couple weeks convinced me. Used it this morning on the way to work and yes you can feel the cool air on your butt. It does make you sit a bit higher. On the way home in 90 degree heat it was hot but at least I didn't stick to the seat like a fried egg. It was worth the $50.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been following the heat threads as well, and I finally got to experience what everyone's talking about. With the XC I didn't notice it, but hoped on a buddies XCT and holy hell! I don't envy you guys at all. I rode his bike to test his windshield. Got back and told him night and day difference on two counts. Love your shield and ordering one now, and damn your bike is F'n hot :D

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
What would you ever do in Phoenix on a 110+ day in traffic? :grin

I guess I'm acclimated because it really doesn't bother me that bad at all.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You all are talking about and imagining "normal" heat....I am not dealing with normal heat on this bike. The enriched fuel mixture is causing my cats to heat up to ridiculous amounts. With no lowers I don't feel it, but apparently my passenger does....I thought I had matters taken care of but I guess not.
My other option, is going back to stock, if its not running rich it won't be making so much heat....This option is getting serious thought.

Id junk it and buy a Honda ....:grin
The F6B is an "other" option. A little on the drastic side though.

Care to wife swap? :devil
nope.

Reactions: Chattanooga Mark

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
You all are talking about and imagining "normal" heat....I am not dealing with normal heat on this bike. The enriched fuel mixture is causing my cats to heat up to ridiculous amounts. With no lowers I don't feel it, but apparently my passenger does....I thought I had matters taken care of but I guess not.
My other option, is going back to stock, if its not running rich it won't be making so much heat....This option is getting serious thought.

The F6B is an "other" option. A little on the drastic side though.

nope.
Any way of modding another heat shield?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Heat waves in September are unusual. If the mercury reaches 90 degrees on Wednesday, this will be the first September heat wave in Connecticut since Sept. 7, 1983.
I say give it a week and temps will be back to normal for your area.

Take her out next Monday, and she will be back to her quiet self and enjoying the ride. :laugh

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
I went through this thread twice and still could not find where, exactly, your wife is feeling the heat.

All I could find is she is feeling the heat from 'below'. I don't know what that means.

Is that under her butt, on her feet, on her lower legs, on her inner thighs, where?

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
PaIN,

Has your CCT been dyno tuned correctly? Either way, I'd get that done asap. Pulling the cats on a Cross bike will cost you much needed torque below 2500rpm.

·
Registered
332 Posts
pull the cats and put heat reflecting tape under the seat

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
PaIN,

Has your CCT been dyno tuned correctly? Either way, I'd get that done asap. Pulling the cats on a Cross bike will cost you much needed torque below 2500rpm.

its been dynod twice

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
my opinion, not sure how your second tune was done, single tune both cylinders again? but since you are looking at other exhaust anyway, pull the cats

·
Registered
399 Posts
Just out of curiosity have you tried comparing the temps at various locations on your bike against another similar bike?

The IR Temp guns show up on Amazon for $10-$15 all the time.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts