Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Everyone. I'm in the Merchant Marines. I'll be getting off next month and plan to buy a new touring bike. I looking closely at a CrossRoads, and some other fine bikes. Goldwing, UltraGlide, ST1300. Many fine bikes out there. My research has come across some of the new bike having excessive heat issues, due to EPA regs forcing many manufactures tweak cam profiles, timing, EFI... My question is how has this effected the Victory lineup lately. Are Victory owners having hotter running engines, and if so, is this a fixable problem without a lot of expense as the Harley guys are going through. I don't want to have to buy a new bike, and put new non-EPA cams, much money just to get it RIGHT. I almost bought a Heritage Softail when I was off last trip and I'm glad I didn't now. A friend suggested a Victory. I was very impressed. But, is Victory having similar problems along those lines. I just want to know what I'm getting into before I buy. Thanks for any imput you guys can share. I don't really want a water-cooled bike, but it ain't looking good. michael.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
There are a lot of the X bikes out there on the road now. I haven't heard any ISSUES with heat at all. Matter of fact I haven't heard of any issues period.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't have a clue either. I always research the forums whenever I start a project, to find out what the real people (end users) are experiencing. The pro and cons... Well evidently many harley owners are getting very high exhaust temps coming off the rear cylinder. Some even getting oil temps 30-40 deg higher than in past years. MOCO has a switch to shut down the rear cylinder when in prolonged stand still traffic on their baggers. One guys reported his oil temp gauge neared 300 deg. Some say their exhaust header pipe glows. In my book, in times past, harleys were on the edge for high oil temps already. These new developments can only shorten the life of the engine. Not good. I really like the "CrossRoads." I have seen much on the posts about excessive engine heat. The Gold Wing is a little too tall for my short legs. Victory is looking good right now. Thought I haven't seen alot of after market offerings. If I bought a brand new Heritage Softail, I'd have to take out the EPA cam and put in one with more overlap and duration. Readjust the AFR from the 14's:1 back into the 13's:1, tweak the Timing, put a better flowing intake and exhaust... just to lower the combustion temps and move the heat out more effeciently. Lotta dang money for a brand new bike. Chaps my arse! I think I see the handwriting on the wall. Anyway, Thanks for any imput. I think I'll schedule a test ride when I get off. Michael.:D

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
The best thing to do is test ride one when you can. Victory encourages test rides because they know one you ride one you'll buy one!!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
While the closed loop bikes do run warmer then the open loop bikes. they are still SIGNIFICANTLY cooler then any of the MoCo's offerings. the Vic does not have a ductile liner to absorb heat, and it has a real cooling system that uses oil to cool the motor, and not just an oil cooler in the return side of the system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Like you, I did plenty of research. I ended up with a 2009 KingPin at a sweet price. Have done some mods on it including Stage 1 Drag Pipes. i am impressed and BTW I am not having the snap crackle pop issues others are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts