Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been spending alot of time searching for reviews, both written and video taped, and it seems the Vision's wind protection is maybe to good, and that summertime riding in the hotter places of the US are less then desireable? Here in St. George Utah, summer can be a real bear, and has been known to kick a riders butt without warning.
Rehydrating in summer goes without saying, but Im wondering what you folks in hotter areas think of the vision in hot summer weather?

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Ive been spending alot of time searching for reviews, both written and video taped, and it seems the Vision's wind protection is maybe to good, and that summertime riding in the hotter places of the US are less then desireable? Here in St. George Utah, summer can be a real bear, and has been known to kick a riders butt without warning.
Rehydrating in summer goes without saying, but Im wondering what you folks in hotter areas think of the vision in hot summer weather?

With a fuel controller, heat is not an issue at all.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that makes me feel a little better, and being an ex Harley owner Im aware of heat issue in the summer.
The thing is the reviews im reading and watching are on "out of the box" stock rigs, so wouldnt the fuel control be set properly from the factory?
Also...
seems to me I read somewhere the 2012's had vents in the lowers, or am I mistaken?

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Well that makes me feel a little better, and being an ex Harley owner Im aware of heat issue in the summer.
The thing is the reviews im reading and watching are on "out of the box" stock rigs, so wouldnt the fuel control be set properly from the factory?
Also...
seems to me I read somewhere the 2012's had vents in the lowers, or am I mistaken?
The onboard computers are all set very lean to meet EPA regulations, and lean equals heat. Adding a piggy back fuel controller such as the Lloydz VFC or a Power Commander is the solution, just like in the HD realm.

·
13,247 Posts
It only get to around a 100 here and can be very humid. I cut my panels and insulted the bottom of my seat. Gold bond power on your ass really helps if your man enough to try it.
I don't like the looks of the wind deflectors that vision rider use.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhh, ok I get the fuel controler. Would it be better to break in the motor first with say 1000 miles then have it installed along with a dyno tune?
This is what I did with my other bike, but I gotta tell ya, sitting in traffic on bike week in Laughlin tryin to get back across the bridge was no laughing matter even with the fuel control and tune...lol:crzy:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ahhh, ok I get the fuel controler. Would it be better to break in the motor first with say 1000 miles then have it installed along with a dyno tune?
This is what I did with my other bike, but I gotta tell ya, sitting in traffic on bike week in Laughlin tryin to get back across the bridge was no laughing matter even with the fuel control and tune...lol:crzy:
Hello Ed,I came off a '10 Limited last Aug.72k mi. on Twin Cams since '07.I've had my Vision since Aug 22nd 3700 mi. so haven't spent a lot of time in slow traffic/high ambient temps yet so can't
give a real comparison to the heat issues.Heat does tend to pool around my legs @ stop/slow speeds but doesn't appear to be quite as bad as the 103 even after getting rid of the cat and adding the smart tuner.I was told when I bought the Vision the lower heat deflectors were a must add on but they don't do anything when you're stopped in traffic.Even with a fuel controller in your neck of the woods it's going to get warm, even a Gold Wing does. I do know the fairing on the Vision is unbeatable in cold weather and rain.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow. You can tell when winter sets in and people have time to think of the oddest things. It seems we need to install ACon bikes because I will tell you when it is hot outside and your on a bike it is goint to be hot and sometimes uncomfortable.
This falls in the same category as sondering why you gett wind on you while you ride. LMAO!:)

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Wow. You can tell when winter sets in and people have time to think of the oddest things. It seems we need to install ACon bikes because I will tell you when it is hot outside and your on a bike it is goint to be hot and sometimes uncomfortable.
This falls in the same category as sondering why you gett wind on you while you ride. LMAO!:)
LOL cheers Very true! I find it especially funny when someone tells me it's too windy to ride... I mean really? lol

But, there are ways to mitigate the heat. All new air cooled motorcycles are going to get hot because of how lean the EPA requires them to run. A fuel controller will drop the temps drastically because they allow the individual to alter the mixture themselves... While I have the lower deflectors on my Vision, I do not use them for cooling, I keep them turned outward to keep the wind from blasting my legs. Even with them out, my engine never gets nearly as warm as others do. Using my Power Commander 5 w/Auto Tune, I have my AFR set around 13.8 - 13.2 depending on throttle position. Bike runs great, and I still get mid 40's mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't know what's so odd about it.A guy looking for an intelligent opinion or comparison from someone who might know what he's talking about.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thank you for your help and understanding of my request.
No problem Utah Ed,I know all about the heat you put up with down

there.Have you switched over to a Vision yet,or just thinking hard

on it? I came from 40 yrs. on Harley's to my Vision about 4 mo's ago

and have been impressed. I have only logged 3700 miles on her

but all smiles so far.As far as the fairing I love it,great piece of

engineering imo.I made a 1600 mi trip up to Bismark N.D one

weekend last Sept.Cold, in the low 30's,40 mph wind,rain and stayed

as comfortable as one could be with heated gear. That was 2-800

mile days,a lot of riding @ night.Great lighting,handled like a

dream through the Black Hills.I realy enjoyed the Limited but not

as nice a ride.The new Harley has a suspension that leaves a lot to be

desired. Heat wise I think it's the nature of the

beast with these big V-twins we're sitting on although the Vic. engine

doesn't appear to run as hot with the big oil cooler and a much

better oil pump.Getting the afr down helps a lot but when it's 110 in

the shade where you ride I still expect it to be a little warm.I

forgot what forum I saw it on but someone actually mounted some

little spall fans down the inside part of the lowers that looked like

it'd keep air circulating around your legs nicely.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thinking very hard on it. Have not had a bike in about 3 years, and going back to Harley just doesnt sit well with me. If plans made become reality then I will be riding again by this summer. So before I lay down 23K, Im triing to consider all angles that i remember encountering with the Harley in the 4 years of rides I went on with it. Not being familier with Victory test ride policies, I dont expect to get many of my questions answered with a 20 min ride, and unless I wait until Aug. for the test ride I need to ask these questions here and hope for inteligent answers from kind folks like yourself.
With any lluck, perhaps I can head your way this summer and take in some of your local scenery.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Coming off a Goldwing

Thinking very hard on it. Have not had a bike in about 3 years, and going back to Harley just doesnt sit well with me. If plans made become reality then I will be riding again by this summer. So before I lay down 23K, Im triing to consider all angles that i remember encountering with the Harley in the 4 years of rides I went on with it. Not being familier with Victory test ride policies, I dont expect to get many of my questions answered with a 20 min ride, and unless I wait until Aug. for the test ride I need to ask these questions here and hope for inteligent answers from kind folks like yourself.
With any lluck, perhaps I can head your way this summer and take in some of your local scenery.
I just traded a 2010 Goldwing for a 2011 Vision. I haven't ridden in hot weather yet but with the wind deflectors turned in I will say that you get more air movement than on a GW. The GW was very hot to ride when the temps got above 85°.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's not going to cost you 23k,believe me.
I've only dealt with one Victory dealer and that's where I bought mine.Tri City Performance down in Springville Ut.I talked to a couple in Wyoming but didn't seem real interested in selling me a bike.I heard nothing but good reports about them.I called they, set me up for a test ride on a Sat.I rode down, rode the Cross Country and Vision all I wanted,they took pictures of my trade in e-mailed them to their broker and 15 minutes later I was signing the paper work.And by the way they gave me a very fair price on one well used Limited, 2 grand more than what the Harley dealer here would give me on a new Harley.They have answered all my questions.On my 500 mi. warranty sevice my bike was on the lift for almost 2 1/2 hrs. I actually stood over the techs. shoulder the whole time and he answered every question I threw at him and again on a Sat.Imagine that, getting work done on a Sat and being allowed in the shop.Try that at a Harley dealer! I don't know where your closest dealer is down there.I know it's a ways for you,400 mi. round trip for me but from what all I hear about Vics. you don't need an umbilical cord attached to a dealership.So far thats the way it's been.I make a call and the oil kit or anything else I need is here in 3 days or less.Another big + about the Vic. is the maint. difference from night and day with HD,although I did enjoy the time.Don't think you'll be disappointed.Send me a pm when you're about to head up this way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I live in the Palm Springs area and picked up my Vision (2009 Ness) in April. I rode ALL summer. The Ness Vision has a short "blade" windshield and I also picked up a 15.5" 7JurRock. In the HEAT of the summer I only used the blade, now I use the taller...

Many have said that lower air deflectors are a must. So far, I have not seen the need (not to mention I like the look of the front end without them).

Bottom line: ZERO issues in my desert heat as long as you keep moving. Also, I have a white full face helmet and a silver mesh jacket - bucking the all black look in favor of heat reflection.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I live in the Palm Springs area and picked up my Vision (2009 Ness) in April. I rode ALL summer. The Ness Vision has a short "blade" windshield and I also picked up a 15.5" 7JurRock. In the HEAT of the summer I only used the blade, now I use the taller...

Many have said that lower air deflectors are a must. So far, I have not seen the need (not to mention I like the look of the front end without them).

Bottom line: ZERO issues in my desert heat as long as you keep moving. Also, I have a white full face helmet and a silver mesh jacket - bucking the all black look in favor of heat reflection.
Thats the trick just keep moving,nothing's going to be comfortable in a traffic jam.BTW can you get the 7jurRock in a light gray tint and how much,I can't log onto their website from some reason.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thats the trick just keep moving,nothing's going to be comfortable in a traffic jam.BTW can you get the 7jurRock in a light gray tint and how much,I can't log onto their website from some reason.
I did get the light gray and it is perfect for me... I can't remember the price, but as listed on their website.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I believe mine in stock height ( 17.5" ) was around $150. Only thing I don't like about it is that it does not come with the black painted mask at the bottom like the stock shield does.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Utah! I live in West Texas where the heat gets around 120! I have pics of my temp reading 114 on my Vision Premium! Got miserable sometimes but i kept making the effort of trying to keep moving. In town driving was a pain but was able to deal with it. I think it's all about what you are willing to deal with to ride. My Vision never acted up with all the heat and I have no mods done. I will soon but for now, she's stock. Handled the heat like a champ!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts