Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2013 XCT rear cylinder exhaust has a burnt spot on the heat shield. I have talked to dealer service tech which they say is not covered under extended warranty. They believe the problem is a leaking gasket on the rear cylinder head pipe. The dealer wants $450 to replace both cylinder head gaskets and a new heat shield on the rear exhaust pipe, or $800 for a new rear exhaust. Please give me your opinion on what may be causing the burn on the heat shield. Do you think it is the leaking head gasket? Do you think that replacing the head gasket and new heat shield will keep the new shield from burning again? Only engine mods are factory stage 1, took air strip out of breather and put it back in when i noticed burning. I have 60,809 miles on it and just noticed this two months ago. I used metal polish and it removes it real good, but as soon as it heats up the burn comes back. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Did you check under the heatshield to make sure nothing is stuck under there transferring heat between the pipe and that spot?
How about your AFR? Maybe your engine or rear cylinder started running lean and hot for some reason.

·
13,262 Posts
There is no gap between the heat shield and pipe.
There has to be a gap between pip and cover

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
there is a small standoff keeping the shield from directly touching the pipe.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
do they think its the head gasket? or exhaust pipe gasket? you can get the exhaust gaskets for about $3 each at a parts store, and find a nice used heat shield for cheap. head gasket i would think should be warranty work.

·
Registered
471 Posts
60,000+ miles on a 2013, that's impressive.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Your CCT is running way too hot to do that. If you look down at night when it's pitch dark, you'll see your rear head pipe glowing red in the reflection on the front belt cover. especially in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear between a steady 2500 and 3000 rpm. Regardless of what you do with your lower fairing doors.

Anyway, if you have an exhaust gasket issue, I'd certainly try to replace those without a dealer. If it needs a head gasket, as has been said, it doesn't seem right it wouldn't be covered by the warranty.

Does your CCT have a PCV or any other modifications?

·
Registered
293 Posts
60,000+ miles on a 2013, that's impressive.
Uhmmm, thats a SORE a$$ if ya asked me, :ltr: I have a 2013 that I bought June of 13 and mine only has 7 thousand miles on it :D But I also get about a 4 or 5 month break from riding in the harsh winter we have.

Oh yah, and I agree with the others, looks to me like the chrome shield is sitting against the pipe and that's causing it to blue, should be some air gap.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Uhmmm, thats a SORE a$$ if ya asked me, :ltr: I have a 2013 that I bought June of 13 and mine only has 7 thousand miles on it :D But I also get about a 4 or 5 month break from riding in the harsh winter we have.

Oh yah, and I agree with the others, looks to me like the chrome shield is sitting against the pipe and that's causing it to blue, should be some air gap.

i was just shy of 5,000 miles this season before totalling mine

·
13,262 Posts
look at the photo. The bluing is a ways away from the exhaust port. There is no discoloring on the pipe itself.
The heat shield is resting on the pipe causing the bluing. There needs to be a gap there

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
the OP needs to look at the shield, where they clamp on there is a standoff, it should not allow it to touch

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
Or, just take the heat shields off and wrap them...

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
first was a set of headers on my old truck, wrapped them, they rotted within a year, then i built my own pipes on my chopper, wrecked two sets on it, the wrap will hold onto moisture

·
Registered
293 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think that VisionJohnny is on the right track here, if the header pipe is in contact with the heat shield then you'll have immediate heat transfer and bluing. You also run the risk of wearing through one or the other from vibration. The other possibility is that there is a pin hole in the header pipe right at the apex of that bend letting hot gas blast the back of the heat shield.

I think that the least likely culprit would be a head gasket. If you had shelled a head gasket the least of your problems/symptoms would be a blue spot on a heat shield. I'm also not a fan of the bad exhaust gasket theory.

It's real nice of your dealership to try and whack you $800 for repairs you don't need. Why would you replace the front head gasket if the rear one were bad?? Maybe it's just me...

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
a guy with a vision posted earlier about pulling his shields, he got the rear shield iff and the pipe was split open.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts