Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using their 12v outlet to run heated clothing? If so, how are you running the wiring from the outlet to the clothing?

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I don't use the 12V outlet. My WarmNSafe jacket liner and Gerbings gloves are wired to a terminal strip that I have inside the fairing. That, in turn, is wired to the battery, and is switched through a relay. Wiring from the fairing comes down and is wire-tied to the other wires on the left side of the frame, passes over the cheese wedge and comes up at the front of the seat.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I mounted a power let plug on the rear motor mount directly off the battery with a 15A fuse link.No need for a switched circuit or relay for heated gear,just a fuse right off the battery.I don't plug my gear in unless I'm sitting on a running bike so don't have to make it complicated.I can also plug in a batt. tender,run a green slime air compressor,and a small 12 volt florecent travel light in an emergency.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is anyone using their 12v outlet to run heated clothing? If so, how are you running the wiring from the outlet to the clothing?
Hey bojedo,It looks like the 12 volt outlet in the tour pack comes off the 10A ign. acc fuse.I know my Gerbing Jacket and gloves pull about 11A max. I don't think the acc. plug would handle that much of a load.Trying to follow the schematic in the service manual which is hard to do with my old wore out eyes.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bojedo, The Vision is PRE WIRED for a 12V outlet in the console. You just have to order the powerlet kit from Victory and following the directions. I did this to my Vision when it started gettting cold the first winter.

It is REAL EASY and simple to do....I wear Gerbing Heated jacket liner, gloves and overpants and have NEVER had any issues with fuses or drawing to much power that the battery or the motorcycle couldn't provide the current for it...cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
I mounted a power let plug on the rear motor mount directly off the battery with a 15A fuse link.No need for a switched circuit or relay for heated gear,just a fuse right off the battery.I don't plug my gear in unless I'm sitting on a running bike so don't have to make it complicated.I can also plug in a batt. tender,run a green slime air compressor,and a small 12 volt florecent travel light in an emergency.
NICE JOB! May have to do that to my TC.

·
Registered
130 Posts
NICE JOB! May have to do that to my TC.
Thanx Batman,I like the powerlet plug.it's a real good connection,doesnt vibrate open like a cig lighter plug tends to do.Like Joe Schmoe stated Vic has a powerlet acc. plug you can mount on the Vision console which would work for heated gear,only I use that switched circuit to power up a GPS and Sirius radio,stuff you want to turn off with the ign.As far as heated gear it's something you'll not likely run off and leave plugged in and end up with a dead battery.it's also nice to plug your batt. tender in.

·
Registered
130 Posts
DTWOR,

That's pretty close to the rear jug and head pipe. Do you worry about too much heat damaging the Powerlet?
The thought had crossed my mind.I had the plug laying around and stuck it on there in Aug. right after I bought the bike.3400 miles hasn't affected it so far.I'll order a surface mount,close clearance plug and stick it in the left panel under the seat this winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts