Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have recently experienced an issue where I fired up the CCT Wednesday to ride home from work. Everything was normal until I got a few minutes into my 25 minute commute and then the grips started heating up. I checked the switch and it was in the OFF (center position) then i flipped it to HIGH and then LOW to see if it would help. It continued to heat up to the point of painfully hot. It felt like riding while holding two hot curling irons...but I made it home with only annoyingly sore hands.

So I chased the wires all the way into the dash, pulled the fairing off, followed them down and could see no breaks which could short it or anything weird. I left the fairing off and fired her up, heat still on, so I unplugged them and put her back together. This leads me to think it's a bad switch. Does anyone have any other thoughts or wisdom to offer? Anything that I missed?

Thanks in advance,
Skin :nerd

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Yeah, bad switch.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Easy check, disconnect the switch and see if the grips are still getting hot. If they are, you have a short. If they aren't you have a bad switch.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Pull the switch and wires, get out the volt meter and check for continuity with the switch in the off position.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pull the switch and wires, get out the volt meter and check for continuity with the switch in the off position.
Yeah this is my plan...I just had to get the heat stopped and didn't have time to troubleshoot. I did it in the parking lot of the LBS I work at lol

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had this happen on the XCT about 12 months after I bought it.

Gave a switch a good squirt with WD40 and rocked it back and forward a few times and it didn't do it again. It seemed like a bit of moisture and crap on the contacts may have been the culprit. The issue hasn't reoccurred since then.

Every now and then I shoot a bit of WD40 into that and the other switches where I can as a bit of preventative maintenance.

Russ.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts