Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else encountered this problem with the heated grips? I've had the bike back to the dealer twice about this problem. Anytime I've turned the heated grips on"low" the throttle ends up sticking open. Pretty dangerous.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Has anyone else encountered this problem with the heated grips? I've had the bike back to the dealer twice about this problem. Anytime I've turned the heated grips on"low" the throttle ends up sticking open. Pretty dangerous.
I haven't had this happen to me, but I've read about it. As I understand it, the problem is that the grips will expand slightly when the heat's on, so I believe the solution is to make sure there's some space around the grips, in terms of the switchgear and also maybe the bar ends. I think that if you loosen the switchgear bolts, you can move that assembly a bit, even though there's a placeholder-pin for it that goes in a hole in the bars. Alternatively, some people have just Dremeled-off that pin -- particularly when replacing the stock handlebars -- and haven't any problems.

BTW, what year and model are we talking about here?

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. Fix? I changed the grips to non-heated grips and bought heated gloves :D

·
12,970 Posts
pull grip sand the hell out of the bar. Till all chrome is gone.
Only sand wear grip goes
Then put a thin layer of grease on bar and slide the grip back on.
If you have end cap back it off say a 1/8 and see if that helps

Have to chuckle that dealer didn't know the fix. Guess hes the type buy it and go away

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. Fix? I changed the grips to non-heated grips and bought heated gloves :D

I did the exact same thing as you Broggs.... The heat from the gloves is awesome compared to the grips. Not as convenient but way warmer.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
The grips ended up roasting the inside of my hands while the outside froze. Gloves solved that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This issue is caused by the plastic bar ends expanding when they warm up.

Easiest fix is to switch to some metal bar ends.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had this issue happen to me for the first time last night while driving up to my cabin. My throttle started sticking 10 minutes after I left town. I had turned on the heated grips, but the relationship to the throttle problem never occurred to me. The Victory dealership where I bought my bike was on the way, so I popped in so they could take a look. By the time the tech got to my bike, he found the throttle was working normally. He had no suggestions as to the cause. I shrugged and took off on my way again. Sure enough, 10 minutes later, the throttle started sticking again. That's when the relationship to the heated grips occurred to me. It wasn't until I got to the cabin and searched this forum that I found the solution. I tugged at the plastic chrome end cap to pull it out 1/16 of an inch. As I drove back this morning in 40 degree weather with the heated grips on, the throttle never stuck once. :smile

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
So this issue is more "grip to bar end" , then "grip to bar" it sounds ....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts