Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the winter i can dress enough layers to keep everything warm but my hands. ive always just toughed it out with frozen fingers but this year im thinking about heated gloves or grips. what are the pros and cons of both from people actually using them?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Gloves. They warm the entire hands and finger not just the inside of the hands. Plus, they cost less, over all, as opposed to having a Vic tech install heated grips.

I recommend Gerbing as their micro wire glove are super thin and heat very well. I am able to ride until the snow flies.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gloves. They warm the entire hands and finger not just the inside of the hands. Plus, they cost less, over all, as opposed to having a Vic tech install heated grips.

I recommend Gerbing as their micro wire glove are super thin and heat very well. I am able to ride until the snow flies.

Ride safe.
my xr has no power outlet for gloves, what did you do for that? i know you can buy the clamp ons for bars, but is there a better way of adding an outlet to an xr? mine has a rubber plug on the back of the top triple tree, is that for a power outlet? if it is i can't imagine trying to get the parts, probably back ordered till next summer!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
my xr has no power outlet for gloves, what did you do for that? i know you can buy the clamp ons for bars, but is there a better way of adding an outlet to an xr? mine has a rubber plug on the back of the top triple tree, is that for a power outlet? if it is i can't imagine trying to get the parts, probably back ordered till next summer!
R.A. Little,

One way to go is to also wear a heated vest or full liner. Most of these also have connections at the sleeve ends for glove connections, and the gloves may have separate controls on them or separate controllers.

Of course, you'll still need bike power to the vest/liner. You can wire up something to the battery, and have the other end come out a tiny bit from under the seat; a lot folks do something like that. Or, you can have a Powerlet outlet added under the engine somewhere, and plug the vest/liner into that (with the appropriate male Powerlet extenstion).

I agree with the glove solution, and specifically Gerbing. I have a TourMaster heated liner, from a few years ago, and like it a lot. I also got some TourMaster gloves, and they were worthless (except for the insulation); luckily, I got them cheap, from WebBikeWorld (after they tested them). My XCT has heated grips standard, so it's not an issue for me, but on a bike without heated grips I think gloves are both a better and a simpler solution.

Just some things to think about.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Heated grips are convenient because they are always available and you don't have to wire yourself to the bike. Problems that they help only in milder temperatures. Heated gloves are more effective, but even they are limited. Try holding your grips on a single-digit-temp *F morning with heated gloves - the cold metal of the handlebars gets through the grips and the gloves. I use both heated grips and heated gloves for the lowest temps and long trips in twenties or thirties.

·
Registered
269 Posts
in the winter i can dress enough layers to keep everything warm but my hands. ive always just toughed it out with frozen fingers but this year im thinking about heated gloves or grips. what are the pros and cons of both from people actually using them?
My bike had heated grips already when i bought it. I've never had heated anything and now heated grips and seat. I can't speak about heated gloves but I will say that my regular cold weather gloves are too much glove at 35 degrees.. Perhaps the fairing helps more than I thought .. My only real problem now is my feet... Well and my face shield fogging up ..

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
13,262 Posts
Never had heated gloves.
But I have a heated jacket and heated grips and now I know what toast feels like. WOW there is no better way to spend your money.
I have ridden all day in 40 degree weather and it is great riding feel that warmth.
With my heated jacket its long sleeve tee shirt heated jacket and sweatshirt with outer jacket.
For heated grips I only wear a deer skin leather glove and have plenty of freedom that way. Yes my jacket has the plug ins for the gloves but never got around to getting them.
I highly recommend heated clothing.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I used to run a pair of $100 heated gloves I got at some department store (JC Penney I think it was), they were friggin awesome and allowed me to ride all winter without losing my ability to pull the brake lever :ltr: But now that I have an XCT I have heated grips, but have yet to have a cold enough day to try it out really. I think probably a good pair of heated gloves will be more effective due to being on both sides of your hands, but the convenience of heated grips is probably the winner in anything besides either extremely cold temps or iron butt rides in cold temps.

Edit: Btw those gloves were battery powered with little rechargeable packs in them, only lasted about an hour on high or 2 hrs on med but I just plugged em in each evening and it worked ok, once in awhile they would run out on the way home but I was only using them for my 60 mile commutes so they worked pretty well

·
Registered
112 Posts
On my previous Kawi, I had Gebring heated gloves. The gloves were toasty warm but I was tethered to the bike by a cable going up each arm to a harness that went down my side to a belt clip that held the temperature control unit that then had a cable that went to the dedicated outlet from the battery that was just under my seat. Too much wiring for my tastes especially when dismounting/mounting and when taking my jacket off and on.

My XC has heated grips which are very nice but as someone already stated, they heat predominately the palms of your hands and not the knuckles. However with a good set of gloves and the fairing cutting down some wind shear/chill they are a decent alternative without being tethered.

Additionally, I was thinking of adding these slip ons in the winter.
Oxford Hothands

Attachments

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I ride year-round in Oregon which includes a lot of 25-40 degree days. Heated gloves are nice (if they're good ones) because they warm all sides of your hands. However, I will never buy another pair of heated gloves because of the wiring hassles associated with them and their current limitations--most will not allow you to ride very long in sub-freezing temps.

Heated grips are awesome! Once you get some, you will never go without them on another bike. I use them on summer mornings when it's 55 out all the way down to freezing. You need good gloves (translate - expensive) like Held or others to really take advantage of the heated grips when it's at or below freezing. They are designed with thinner, softer leather inside so you can actually feel the heated grips and have that heat radiated to the rest of your hand.

The absolute best winter-time hand protection, as the poster just before me mentioned are the handlebar gauntlets with heated grips. These gauntlets are made from insulation encased in Gortex that acts like a little cabin in the middle of the snow. With heated grips, the combination allows you to wear a very light glove during the winter which helps you with your controls. This is the combination that most winter-time bike cops use--tried and true. I can ride all day in freezing weather using both. I will try to link a pic for you from a company called Hippo Hands. I have used their product for many years--I'm sure others make a great product too! Watch that ice!!!!

·
Registered
944 Posts
I had heated grips on my rocket and they were good till bout 45 degrees then a couple years ago my ole lady got me apair of heated gloves and they work very good
I'm thinking bout getting the heated grips for my xr just for the cooler days and I use the battery tender cable to plug my gloves in

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I love the heated grips on the '12 XCT - first heated anything I've had. However I also love cruise control which I've enjoyed on several motorcycles. Heated grips only work when you "grip" the grip. So while on cruise my right hand gets cold. So I think heated gloves might have that advantage and some others that have been mentioned. On the plus side for the grips they are always there, no stopping for a wardrobe change! No being tethered to the bike either.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The only thing I didn't like about the heated grips on my XCT was I felt they were too small. I had been used to ISO grips on my previous bikes that are bigger around than the stock heated grips. So I purchased a set of foam Grip Puppies to slide over the stock heated grips. They worked out great and the grip heaters work fine with them since the Grip Puppies are just a foam overgrip.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I love my heated grips and seat.

This morning was about 45° and had the seat on high, had to change it to low setting and grip setting was set to low.

I wear a Victory leather jacket with a inner lining, and a old pair of Storm winter gloves.

I think maybe a nice set of leather gloves would be better for weather colder than say 35°.

I need some leather chaps too, right now I wear my uninsulated bibs.

I have the cross country flip winsheild on currently, I was wearing warmer socks, (since I have steel toed boots for work), a dickey and my Arai helmet and was warm as toast.

I can't wait to see just how cold I can ride in and still be warm, I also have my old Tripple goose down coat which I use to wear down to 35° degrees with no fairng on my Honda 1100 shadow which was a little cold.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Avon heated grips and a heated seat is all you need.

I gave up leather a few years ago and wear mostly Olympia stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
For this winter I am picking up a set of Tour gloves for the cold cold, wet days/nights, water resistant riding jacket for the rain, and will prob move into a full face at some point. I'm good with heated grips/seat. All my inputs here are based on coming off a bike with no heated seat/grips and using a standard windscreen (not batwing) on my 04 TC with leather gloves (not tour), leather jacket, chaps and shorty helmet (face mask in winter last year).

Heres my thoughts.

I love my heated grips and seat.
This morning was about 45° and had the seat on high, had to change it to low setting and grip setting was set to low.
+1 Just finished about 350 miles night riding at 48-55 degrees on the highway and LOW was the correct setting. It was damp out. Cant wait for winter to set in and see what I got to work with and what HIGH has to offer.

I wear a Victory leather jacket with a inner lining, and a old pair of Storm winter gloves.
I think maybe a nice set of leather gloves would be better for weather colder than say 35°.
Same for me, added a hoody on the cold mornings/nights and worked great all the way down to teens. Hands eventually got pretty cool. Not this year.

I need some leather chaps too,....wearing warmer socks, (since I have steel toed boots for work)....and was warm as toast.
Insulated leather chaps bought on http://www.cyclegear.com/ carried me last year with no hard lowers down to high teens. On the ride home this weekend, warm hands and chaps, no issues. Same configuration as above. Again, heated grips on low.

I was thinking about electric gloves (agreed the whole hand stays warm) last year but now after using the heated grips..... My choice is Leather, leather insulated, then touring into the heart of winter. Don't have to plug anything up (whcih was my biggest concern) and I just keep the spare gloves in the bag along with my day/night glasses.

Hope this helps, Safe riddin bud!

·
Registered
143 Posts
+1 on the heated grips for me.

I had heated gloves for one winter on the previous bike and dealing with the wiring through the jacket and being tethered to the bike was a pain for the daily commute to/from work. The battery operated gloves might be good, but don't know how well they work or how long they will operate and of course they are more expensive.

I put heated grips on the XC shortly after I bought it last October and they have been all I need. I don't ride much below around 38 degrees and then typically only the 40 minutes to and from work. Don't take bike trips when it is that cold, but if I get caught in a cold snap on a trip for a morning or two then the heated grips work well. Even thought they only heat from the palm side, it still seems to keep the whole hand warmer, though the top side doesn't get as warm as with a heated glove.

This past weekend it was in the low to mid 50s riding in Texas Hill Country on a 3 day trip I had planned before knowing a cold front was coming through. Wearing a pair of deerskin gauntlet gloves and operating the grips on low kept my hands warm all day. Started out on high setting and hands got too hot within a few minutes.

Nice thing about heated grips is they are always there ready to go at the flip of a switch. Even riding in slightly cooler temps thinking I didn't need gloves or my thin summer gloves are enough at first, but then realizing the wind at speed was cooler than I expected, I just reach down and flip the heat on and I'm good till next stop or longer.

Cheers,
Randy

·
Registered
530 Posts
For this winter I am picking up a set of Tour gloves for the cold cold, wet days/nights, water resistant riding jacket for the rain, and will prob move into a full face at some point. I'm good with heated grips/seat. All my inputs here are based on coming off a bike with no heated seat/grips and using a standard windscreen (not batwing) on my 04 TC with leather gloves (not tour), leather jacket, chaps and shorty helmet (face mask in winter last year).

Heres my thoughts.

+1 Just finished about 350 miles night riding at 48-55 degrees on the highway and LOW was the correct setting. It was damp out. Cant wait for winter to set in and see what I got to work with and what HIGH has to offer.

Same for me, added a hoody on the cold mornings/nights and worked great all the way down to teens. Hands eventually got pretty cool. Not this year.

Insulated leather chaps bought on http://www.cyclegear.com/ carried me last year with no hard lowers down to high teens. On the ride home this weekend, warm hands and chaps, no issues. Same configuration as above. Again, heated grips on low.

I was thinking about electric gloves (agreed the whole hand stays warm) last year but now after using the heated grips..... My choice is Leather, leather insulated, then touring into the heart of winter. Don't have to plug anything up (whcih was my biggest concern) and I just keep the spare gloves in the bag along with my day/night glasses.

Hope this helps, Safe riddin bud!
Yea, I'm thinking about getting Victory's leather touring gloves

From Victory's website
"Never accept cold hands. With these waterproof and windproof gloves, you can be sure yours will be warm and protected—no matter how far you go.
  • Shell: Leather and stretch nylon fabric construction; double layer palm with hidden Kevlar®
  • Lining: Fixed moisture-wicking microfleece lining
  • Additional Features: Leather-covered hard molded knuckle; visor wipe; elasticated wrist with large Velcro® cuff closure
  • Safety: 3M® reflective panels "
They sound like a nice warm pair for the dead of winter.
Will still research others too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I have been looking at those gloves also, and how are the Avon grips to install? I was also looking at them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also look at your local sporting goods (academy sports for me) in the cold weather gear section (snow skiing stuff in AL????) they have glove liners that use some sort of heat reflective stuff. Those plus my "hot hands" gloves worked for me down to 20 on my Suzuki. They worked great down to the teens on a borrowed bike with heated grips, just the liners an leather gloves. They spread the heat over the whoe hand, especially from heated grips. Think I may add hippo hands to the mix.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 20 of 21 Posts