Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to people's thoughts on heated grips. I live in MN so anything to comfortably extend my riding season is a bonus. I'll usually start a little in March and generally put her away Thanksgiving weekend. March-May and October/November can get pretty chilly, even with solid non-heated gear.

Do grips provide a good level of warmth through gauntlets? Is there much of a difference between the Vic offering and something like Avon? Any advice or input is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had heated grips and they do feel good to started with but the problem with them is they can only warm the inside palm and fingers. Your hands are still exposed to the air at speed to the outer portion of the hands. Heated gloves is the only answer to that so you really need both unfortunately. And even then each person is different in what feels comfortable. When I have my gloves on, even at the low setting my hands sweat which makes them even colder.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I'm located in the north metro area, and can say that they work well, I do wear a heavier glove, but once warmed up I set it to the low position. The heated seat works well also....:pepper:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nothing is better than heated gear. The heated grips will warm that palm of the hands (in low setting is very warm), finger tips and the back oh the hand are not getting the heat. My 2c buy heated gloves

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I am a great fan of heated saddles - won't leave home without it. It does what my heated jacket liner used to do - I leave that home now. You'll love almost any heated grip you get. It'll be better than none.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
It is the same for me as everyone else is saying... only the palms get heated, the top of your hand and fingertips still get cold and I find the low setting too warm, so I shut them off when it gets warm and when it starts cooling down I turn them back on, and keep cycling it like this during my ride.
I only need heat for about a few weeks at the beginning and another few weeks at the end of the season, so it is not worth buying heated gear for me... mind you, I will probably break down and get some someday.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I am a great fan of heated saddles - won't leave home without it. It does what my heated jacket liner used to do - I leave that home now. You'll love almost any heated grip you get. It'll be better than none.
Heating your core is better than a heated seat, but a heated seat is better than nothing at all.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Paul, we all have different tolerances for heat as well as cold. I know riders who never wear gloves, even down into the 30s F. Me, I gotta be warm and have turned on my seat and grips many times this summer. The nice thing about those is you can continue to ride without having to stop and do "clothing adjustments."

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I put the OEM heated grips on my XR about 2.5 years ago or so and they do the job for me. The downside to them is that when on the rubber expands so make sure to not put you bar end on too snug. Mine actually made my throttle stick on Saturday when I had them on low. Dirt and grime and accumulated between the grip and end piece and I had to clean it out. Another downside is that my left grip is getting pretty worn out and thin so I am going to have to put some grip puppies or something similar on mine in the near future.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have them on my cross country and they work well with gauntlet gloves, the palm is always warmer but some of the heat will radiate farther in to the glove after a while, especially a heavier glove rather then a light summer glove.

·
13,242 Posts
ALStensby

Heated grips are great for cold weather and even in the rain. Go on line to Gerbing and buy a heated jacket. You'll be set. You know today its 50 degrees and I'm riding. I have heavy tee shirt heated jacket with sweatshirt over it and my textile jacket and I'm warm. O yes leather gloves with grips turned on.
Jacket and gloves are worth every penny you spend

·
Registered
586 Posts
I dressed in many layers when riding my Kingpin at 50 degrees. My Vision came with heated grips and heated seat. Don't need either at 50 because of the fairing wind protection. But at 40 or below, the heated grips and seat take the edge off the cold weather.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Took a survey of a couple of Twin City Victory Riders today. Seems like consensus is heated grips over heated gloves. One person mentioned the extra stiffness of the heated gloves. Another said they were just another thing to hook up. Needless to say, many riders today were wired with heated jackets and Steve on his Hammer had heated pants to boot! I started my ride at 36 degrees and many layers. Only touched the heated grips on a couple of times intermittently. When my energy subsided at the end of the day and it started cooling off, I finished my ride with the grip heaters on low and the seat on low. Eliminated the need to stop and add any additional layers.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Heated grips combined with insulated gloves (mine have Thinsulate) do a great job of keep your paddy paws warm. I no longer wear my Gerbing jacket liner since I installed heat in my saddle.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I enjoy my half hour commute everyday of the year barring slippery roads, that being melted snow or freezing rain. Thinsulated leather gloves cover past jacket cuffs keep my hands comfy and fleece or flannel jeans do the same.
Love my heated seat and grips.
Sub freezing I'll add some thermal long johns and sleeves.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have a heavy Goretex Alpinestar gauntlet which I bought a few years ago for winter; but they are bulky, and with heated grips, even though my palm is warm, the windward side of my hands are freezing..

As funny as it sounds I now wear a thin dual sport glove during the summer and those same gloves with a silk liner in when it's really cold out and my hands are warmer..

The thinness of the combined materials make it easier for the heated grip to transfer lots of heat through to the palm, the silk liners keep the wind out and all that heat in..

Not perfect - I have a faired bike too - but this seems to work better than my heavy gauntlets..

This year I sprang for heated pant and jacket liners - and I'm sure that might help a little-bit, come winter, too! :devil

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Cycle Gear's Freeze-Out glove liners work great too. They are very thin, yet very effective.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Cycle Gear's Freeze-Out glove liners work great too. They are very thin, yet very effective.
I'll have to try these, it doesn't get super cold here in AZ, and my bike is garaged at night, but I have a set of all aluminum grips. they look badass, but might get a touch cold.

·
Registered
361 Posts
+1 for heated grips over heated gloves. They're with you all the time-early morning, going over a high mountain pass, cloud burst, etc. just flip the switch and your comfortable. I like thin gloves for dexterity & being able to feel road feedback. I can't do heavy winter or heated gloves & still feel that I have total control of the bike. They're great on a snowmobile.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts