Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Mike or Malo or FNG works too lol.

I dont own a Vic yet but its the one ill be buying hopefully in the near future. I live in OR and been wanting to get back riding for a long time. Just never seemed to be priority. Now it is.

I used to ride sport bikes, last one was a Katana 600 black and purple. Not the fastest bike out there but was plenty for me lol.

Im looking to get a Vision Tour, seems ive looked at every bike out there and i always return to the Vision so it must be the right bike for me.

I was torn for a long time between the Vision and XC but i think the vision just fits more of what i want from the bike.

Anyhow ill be lurking around and reading, learning all that i can and once i purchase a bike then ill pay the site the donation to be a real member cheers

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
Welcome to this forum, Mike. There's a lot to be learned here and many nice people. Where in Oregon? How do you intend to use your Victory? Long distance touring, or regional rides and commuting? If you are truly undecided, I and others, can help you toward a more intelligent purchase. Have you tested the bikes you are interested in?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Test ride any bikes you are interested in and let the best pick you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ricz I live in Carlton about 45 minutes from Portland, I actually was at the Victory dealer in Portland the other day talking with Casey.

I really liked the way the new 2012 XC looks with the new lower fairing.

I haven't rode any of the bikes as of yet. I did sit on the Vision and really liked the feel of the bike. I didn't want to ride them just yet because I know my price point the actual price of the bikes is about 5k apart.

I want to pay cash because we just paid off everything unsecured and only have the house truck car and boat payments. So I'm not looking for a bike payment lol

As for my intentions on the bike, I plan to ride to work 55mile round trip and I would love to get into some group of people who do rides on the weekend or something.

When I bought my Moomba boat we never wake boarded or wake surfed and we have meet so many people and gained so many new friends in that area of our life. I'd love to extend that to a another chapter in motorcycling.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
Mike,
When I was a kid (I'm 75 now) on the wall behind the local drugstore soda fountain was a sign that has influenced me to this day...PLEASE PAY WHEN SERVED. House, truck, car and boat payments - you have your life mortgaged to the max, friend. Look at it this way; you are paying the banks to rent those things which they own. Unless you are solvent enough to pay those loans off today and are just taking financial advantage of interest free loans, or the like, I suggest you take a deep breath and cool it with the spending. You're coming off like a one man effort to improve the nation's economic woes. Sorry if I'm sounding grandfatherly, but that's what we older folks (who saved and spent wisely) do.

If in fact those are no interest loans, here's my advice; take a hard look at the Cross Roads - IMHO it's more suited to the use you described and will cost far less than the Vision and XC and you can buy it in the configuration that best suits your needs. For 30 years, I had full boat touring bikes and find my XR just as suitable, more comfortable and the same level of weather protection. Yet it cost thousands less. I live not far from S-K Northwest - next time you're going there, let me know via a PM and I'll buy ya coffee and.
Ric

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Looks like your only about 45 miles from Salem Where the demo truck will be on June 15 and 16 at cycle country. 5033780532. Links included

Test rides is what the truck is about. Don't know if you can wait that long but.....:ltr:
Like Ricz said,plenty of folks to help you make an informed decision and two them already posted.

Keep us posted and welcome.

Tim

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/victory-motorcycles/test-ride/pages/national-demo-tour.aspx?WT.si_n=VIC-top_nav_demo_tour&WT.si_x=1

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ricz i hear you man i do, this is why we just paid off close to 30K in bebt.

The 2 cars are intrest free loans and the boat is as low as you can buy a Rec vechicle at. Id love to pay the car or boat off but i did that with my 06 F150 and in the end i lost money on the deal.

Paying the vechicle off cost me 18K but i could only get 16K out of it. I wasnt upside down or anything its just all the dealers would give me once they found i owned it free and clear. I might have been able to sell it private but i dindt want the hassel.

As for the way im looking at it is, we only pay 3.9% for the new home we bought last year, and i only pay 5% for the boat. I pay 0% on both cars and while i want to pay them off the wife already said she wants a new car in 2 years. I am not going to sell my rig for a long long time. Its on 08 F350 CCLB diesel and i absolutly love it.

This helps to explain why i want to buy the bike outright. I dont want to finance anything for it.

I could take my money and toss it at the truck or car to pay one off but then id have to wait another 2 years to save that kinda money again to be back at this point i am now. By then no telling life takes turns and i might still not be able to buy.

Ive been waiting 10 years to buy another bike, career changes, moving from AZ to OR for a new job, college loans, lifes bills, buying a house, getting married, now the possiblility of kids. Im more afraid if i dont make this move soon then i will miss it altogether for other things in life.

So these are all the reasons i place myself here to in the Victory market. Im told and have herd Victory is one of the best in the market, there engines will last 100K with no problem and possible even 200k. Casey said in 5 years they never even opened a Victory engine due to no major failures. These are all things im looking for. Also im looking for a bike i can keep for 5 to 10 years. As long as i can ride i want to ride it. I dont want to have to trade it back in 3 years down the road wishing i would have got this one or that one. Thats how the dealers make there money lol.

Dont worry Ricz having a grand pops isnt a bad thing, one of mine passed 20 years ago and the other is of ill health. I always keep an open ear and mind to others with advise espicially those who have lived threw it already.

@Tim i talked to the Victory dealer in Salem and they said they just took Victory aboard and dindt really have any stock, as thats the closer store to me. I will deffiently try to make the June demo that would be great if i can get the time off work. I work Thurs Fri Sat 13 hour days and this year we are short on people so time off threw July they say is gonna be hard LOL.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
guess i cant edit things yet lol.

Also with paying off the debt so fare we are saving 500 a month, plus if i went the bike route id save apx 200 in fuel vs my truck so thats 6 to 700 a month and you can bet that money is going towards my boat, then truck, and with in 3years those both will be paid off.

Im all about our budget i just wish it wouldnt have taken me till this age to understand it all LOL

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
Im all about our budget i just wish it wouldnt have taken me till this age to understand it all LOL
When I become emperor, money management will be taught from the first grade to HS senior year. Our society is so lacking in the understanding of money as a tool. I benefited by being raised by parents who were hardened by the Great Depression. Consequently, I only buy my "wants" with cash that won't effect the rest of my finances.

You make a point about gas saving - bike vs F350. 24.5 miles - you work in Beaverton, or the People's Republic? Let's see...my XR gets 40 to 50 mpg, your F350, eh; but you already have the truck and the bike will cost around $16K+, plus another insurance policy and registration. Unless you enjoy commuting in the rain, our riding season goes from June to October, less than half a year. So the fuel savings argument doesn't hold up too well. But then, there's the YEE HAW factor that's gotta be worth something. From here, it's your call Mike. Lecture over. Class dismissed.:crzy:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol Ricz I think we would get along great lol

One of the god reasons for me liking the Vision is its rain protection hearted hand grips and heated seat. I would ride today if I had the means. As long as its not pouring and it didn't just start raining I'd ride.

Yes I can't ride all year nd yes there is the money down but that yee has factor is big lol plus it's a similar argument to owning a boat in the NW where the season is similar in time frame. The thing is I think because we can't boat all year you enjoy it that much more when you can lol

I live in Carlton and cummute to Intel I'm a chemical waste technician there at D1D and the new fab D1X

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
Mike, gotta admit a heated seat is great. Had mine customized at Mr. Eds Moto in Albany and had heat put in it. Don't use my Gerbings anymore. If you're young and strong enough for a Vision (I'm not) go for it, but a XC with top case has gobs more carrying capacity for touring. Weather protection is almost the same.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting i havnt read to much on the XC having good weather protection. I mean you should know you own it LOL.

These are the main reasons im looking at the Vision,
1 like the look since the first time i saw it a couple years ago
2 i like the power windshield so i can adjust it when ever i want
3 i like the tip over protection since i am riding it to work and have to park around people i dont know
4 all the reviews ive seen rave about its handling and overall comfort with the rear air suspension, low noise behind the winshield and movability with your feet due tot he platforms being so big.

Drawbacks i have herd or noticed are

Fairing can rattle at higher speeds
Having to have the bike on its stand to fill with fuel
Smaller side compartments
Feels heavier at slow speeds

I will deffiently have to ride XC XR and Vision to see what i really like thats a givin.

I am also leaning more towards the tour editions because my grandparents who are still around live in Logan Utah, about 10 hour drive, and my family lives in AZ so another 12 hour from Utah and id really like to make it down there more then once a year and figure the bike would be an excellent way. Now the misses, she isnt to keen on this idea lol. She just wants me to use the bike for day rides.

I think this is due to me getting cut off doing 70 on the freeway in AZ buy a ladt after she passed me and she cut me off so close the wind off her truck blew me right off the road. I had all my gear on and even got up and rode the bike home, i dislocated my sholder but it poped back in when i jerked the bike up, not realizing it was even dislocated at the time. Bike mostly have plastic damage and a bent headlight frame. That was my Katana

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
Mike, I'll try to answer some of your issues...
Gotta admit the power w/s is nice (had it on a K1200LT I rented in Europe) but at 5'-10" the med. ht. w/s on my XR works well for me. Re tipover protection, check out the crashbar thread going on now in the Cross bike forum. The Cross bikes have rear air suspension and 18" floor boards with loads of fore and aft foot movement space. As far as noise goes, I always wear ear plugs and so should you. My daughter is an audiologist and is getting more biz from riders who don't wear 'em. Yeah, the Vision would feel heavier at low speeds, cuz it is - and it has a higher CG too. This is just my opinion, mind you, but you'd do well to listen to the missus, in the name of domestic harmony. My wife and I used to do a lot of long distance touring, but these days, we do that in the car and use the bike for local and regional rides. She sez the touring was fun while it lasted (4 decades and almost 200K miles) but admits the car is more comfortable and we can take along whatever we want. A lot to be said about that. When momma is happy, everyone is happy. Sometimes we have to make compromises. We all know what's happening politically because the two parties have stopped compromising. Get the picture?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Gid day Mike

And welcome to the forum. I hope it won't be too long before you are on a Victory. You won't be disappointed.

Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts