Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Currently own a HD 2012 Sportster 48. I recently took a Vegas 8 Ball out for a test ride. Great bike and lots of fun.

I'll probably be an HD owner for life but I love all things Motorcycle so I thought I'd join here

·
Administrator
5,973 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Currently own a HD 2012 Sportster 48. I recently took a Vegas 8 Ball out for a test ride. Great bike and lots of fun.

I'll probably be an HD owner for life but I love all things Motorcycle so I thought I'd join here
Welcome to the forum. cheers

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Hi Everyone,

How would you compare your 48 to the Vegas?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Welcome aboard! I replaced my Road King with a Cross Roads, but also have a Harley 72 in the garage. Victory doesn't make anything like the Sportsters.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Welcome and I envy you for fitting on any sporty. Was always one of my favorites with the peanut tanks. That nightster was a sweet bike as is your 48. Being a 2-time Harley owner I can tell you be warned the Vic is a tempting scoot. I only so much as sat on a high-ball and my decision was made.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Welcome aboard! I replaced my Road King with a Cross Roads, but also have a Harley 72 in the garage. Victory doesn't make anything like the Sportsters.
Love the old FL's.. Saw a nicely restored kicker shovel not long ago blacked out with a red paint job. Way cool.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How would you compare your 48 to the Vegas?
The Vegas was faster, stopped better, handled better, felt more comfortable. It's definitely a superior bike in pretty much every way but for some reason I couldnt wait to get back on my 48.

The only thing I disliked about the Vegas was the clutch pull. It had a really long pull to it and didnt engage until it was almost out. Other than that, fantastic bike

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Seems like the pull us easier though compared to my fatboy. Shifting is a breeze in comparison. A little more leverage on vic. You get used to it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The Vegas was faster, stopped better, handled better, felt more comfortable. It's definitely a superior bike in pretty much every way but for some reason I couldn't wait to get back on my 48.
For me, the Sporty line (especially the 1200s) are the essence of motorcycling. It's a pure and simple design in a lightweight package with enough power to get the job done. I don't think comparing a 1200 (74ci) Sporty to a 106 Victory is a fair comparison though. It's truly apples to oranges. All that being said, there really is no substitute for a good Sporty.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
All that being said, there really is no substitute for a good Sporty.
To do what?

I was curious what the drew the OP to the 48 since he said he'd be true to Harley for life. I figured there must be something there that I'm missing.

I just read a magazine article on the 48 and their conclusion was that it had little lean angle, a torturous 2" travel shock, an uncomfortable seat, and 58 miles of fuel capacity. They liked the engine and paint.

I rode a Vegas at the Demos and thought it was a light, comfortable naked bike. Just seems like you get so much more for the same $.

One thing I find weird is the magazine had previously raved about how good the 72 handled and how much lean angle it had. It seems like its the same bike as the 48 except for the tires. Hard to believe tires alone could change the lean angle so much.

I always liked the old XR Sporties, but they'd need to paint one unorange and equip it with 4+ gallons to garner my wallet's attention however.

·
Registered
264 Posts
To do what?
To ride on. Like I said previously, riding my 1200 Sporty is the essence of motorcycling for me. It's just basic and simple transportation on two wheels with the wind in your face. If I have to keep explaining it then I'm pretty sure you won't understand.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
To ride on.
I understand that, what kind of riding?

I can see taking it out on a cool evening after work for a slow bimble around the country side, but with it's limited range and harsh ergos, not much more. The Vic can handle that duty and with bolt on bags and a shield, it can take one across the country without constant fear of running out of fuel or a putting a traveling chiropractor on retainer.

I'd think where the Harley might outshine the Vic is if you're into bolt on parts as there would probably be a much larger selection to "make it your own."

Vegas just seems to be a considerably more versatile bike. If you feel some magic when you're on a Harley, then you're right, I wouldn't understand. Bikes are bikes to me. I like em comfy and capable. Name on the tank is immaterial to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To do what?

I was curious what the drew the OP to the 48 since he said he'd be true to Harley for life. I figured there must be something there that I'm missing.

I just read a magazine article on the 48 and their conclusion was that it had little lean angle, a torturous 2" travel shock, an uncomfortable seat, and 58 miles of fuel capacity. They liked the engine and paint.

I rode a Vegas at the Demos and thought it was a light, comfortable naked bike. Just seems like you get so much more for the same $.

One thing I find weird is the magazine had previously raved about how good the 72 handled and how much lean angle it had. It seems like its the same bike as the 48 except for the tires. Hard to believe tires alone could change the lean angle so much.

I always liked the old XR Sporties, but they'd need to paint one unorange and equip it with 4+ gallons to garner my wallet's attention however.
It's certainly not the must comfortable bike bike around that and the fuel capacity was my only complaint. I got a 3.2g tank from an Iron 883 and put on a new seat, now 200 mile days are no problem. It really is a pure motorcycle and I think thats why I love it.

That being said, it's my first bike and I'm only 31 years old. I won't have the same tastes when I'm in my 40's and have 10 years of riding under my belt. I'd love to have a touring bike and my Sporty but financially that's probably a ways off.

I still love Vic's though. I feel like they are so damn close to making a bike that would pull me away. If I could take a mix of parts form the Vegas 8 ball, Judge and High Ball, you would have my dream bike.

Here's my bike if anyone is interested

·
Registered
264 Posts
I understand that, what kind of riding?

I can see taking it out on a cool evening after work for a slow bimble around the country side, but with it's limited range and harsh ergos, not much more. The Vic can handle that duty and with bolt on bags and a shield, it can take one across the country without constant fear of running out of fuel or a putting a traveling chiropractor on retainer.

I'd think where the Harley might outshine the Vic is if you're into bolt on parts as there would probably be a much larger selection to "make it your own."

Vegas just seems to be a considerably more versatile bike. If you feel some magic when you're on a Harley, then you're right, I wouldn't understand. Bikes are bikes to me. I like em comfy and capable. Name on the tank is immaterial to me.
You're right, the Sporty will never be as comfortable as my Cross Roads. 30 years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about taking a Sporty for a 500 mile ride, but these days that's why I have the Cross Roads. The Sporty is for shorter trips, mostly around town. You're also right that I do enjoy making it my own and HD aftermarket parts are plentiful.

Here's a pic of my 72.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're right, the Sporty will never be as comfortable as my Cross Roads. 30 years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about taking a Sporty for a 500 mile ride, but these days that's why I have the Cross Roads. The Sporty is for shorter trips, mostly around town. You're also right that I do enjoy making it my own and HD aftermarket parts are plentiful.

Here's a pic of my 72.

Nice bike and nice Sick Saddles seat. I have one as well

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Nice bike and nice Sick Saddles seat. I have one as well
I like the old timey bicycle grips.

I rented an 883 in Alaska to run around on. I thought it was adequately powered even tooling around with the wife. It was all backroads. With the Sundowner seat, it was very comfy. My only complaint was that the engine dieseled long after the key was turned off.

IMG_1438.jpg

I like the 72 myself. I might actually go over to the darkside for a town bike if they'd provide a tank like this one:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts