Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the obligatory intro post and thanks in advance for the information I'm hoping to find here...

Started riding about three years ago after taking the MSF course and getting myself an '05 SV 650, which has been an excellent starter bike and which I plan to keep for commuting once I get my Victory. Am currently narrowing down what to get next and am trying to decide between an '03 - '05 Touring Cruiser and an '06 or later Kingpin. I figure either will be much better than the SV for trips to Spokane and the like, so it's just a matter of figuring out a few more minor details on the wish list before coming to a decision. Thanks again in advance for any and all help I end up receiving here along the way...

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
So, the obligatory intro post and thanks in advance for the information I'm hoping to find here...

Started riding about three years ago after taking the MSF course and getting myself an '05 SV 650, which has been an excellent starter bike and which I plan to keep for commuting once I get my Victory. Am currently narrowing down what to get next and am trying to decide between an '03 - '05 Touring Cruiser and an '06 or later Kingpin. I figure either will be much better than the SV for trips to Spokane and the like, so it's just a matter of figuring out a few more minor details on the wish list before coming to a decision. Thanks again in advance for any and all help I end up receiving here along the way...
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Welcome to the Victory Forums! I grew up in the Spokane area (Medical Lake - don't judge) and can honestly say with the winds in Eastern/Central WA the KP will probably be a better bike for trips. It's an extremely well handling machine that rides very well and will carry you and a passenger (if applicable) around much easier than your other option.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcomes! Ammo, you are saying the Kingpin will be much better than the older model Touring Cruisers? I have read nothing but good things from TC owners so far so I am curious to know your reasons. The one thing I do like in the KP over the TC is the six-speed tranny. That may yet be the deciding factor...

And yes, there will be a passenger, at least some of the time, as the GF is already asking for a ride and I don't even have the bike yet. I have never attempted it on the SV 650 as the bike is so small i don't think I would feel safe doing it.

As for Medical Lake, ha, I know nothing about it. I go over there mainly to visit family as that's where the brother-in-law is originally from and he and my sister live there. I can usually count on escaping the W. WA clouds and drizzle when heading that direction so it's always looked forward to.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The KP has longer wheelbase and more suspension which makes it a better passenger carrier and helps with control. 6th gear is good if you're going 70 or over on a flat road but will just bog the engine in most other conditions.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That makes sense. If I go with the KP, having a sixth gear will be a large part of the decision. I don't know how much the GF will be on the bike, but probably only occasionally, so that'll be less of a factor. Another one might be availability of parts and accessories. Looking at Victory's site, it appears they don't support bikes older than about '06, so going with something older would depend on 3rd party suppliers.

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
I give up, where's Brinnon? And welcome to the forum from this west sider.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I give up, where's Brinnon? And welcome to the forum from this west sider.
Thanks. Brinnon is on the west side of Hood Canal south of Quilcene and north of Hoodsport. I've heard it referred to as "Bumf**k, Nowhere" and that's kind of why I moved there. Great riding on hiway 101 in the summer time! Got a ride planned with a buddy around the Olympic Peninsula on Aug. 11th and I hope to have my Vic by then. Anyone in the area want to join us?

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
Ah, that's beautiful country up there on Hood Canal. Do you go diving for octopus? Gonna do Hurricane Ridge on your OP tour? There's a few big events up there too; The Oyster Run is one of 'em.
Bummed out this morning. Today, a friend and I were gonna ride the Old Highway to Multnomah Falls, continue east to Cascade Locks, cross the Bridge of the Gods and have lunch at Skamania Lodge. Then east on 14 to Hood River and go around Mt. Hood and back to Portland. Was supposed to get to mid 70s, but guess what, it decided to rain. The joys of living in the Northwet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds like a fine ride when the sun's out.

Oyster Run, aye, that's being planned, too. Haven't been before, so looking forward to it. No plans to make a stop at Hurricane Ridge as of yet, but anything's possible. We're going clock-wise this year, having gone the other way a couple years ago.

Diving, nope. I haven't even been out on the canal for bottom fishing in years, sigh.

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
We're going clock-wise this year, having gone the other way a couple years ago.
You'll get to see the other side of the trees. :ltr:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts