Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a Victory owner yet, but should be by this time tomorrow. I'm picking up my new 2013 XCT tomorrow morning and I can tell you I'm more than a little excited. The new bike will be sharing the stable with my 2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50.

I would appreciate any advice you experienced Victory people can offer a middle-aged guy moving from the C50 to a much larger bike. I love riding the C50, but since most of my riding is with my bride, I needed a little more power.

I would also appreciate comments on how seriously I should take the 500 mile break-in instructions in the owners' manual. I know I need to get the maintennance done, but do I really have to baby the bike as much as the book says for 500 miles?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Greetings from the Pacific Northwet. I love riding in your neck of the woods--great back roads and food designed to kill ya. We have friends in Suches whom we visit occasionally.
There's an old saying that might be true; The faster you break it in, the faster it will go. Remember, attorneys are looking over the shoulders of manual writers. The 106" engine takes a very long time to loosen up, maybe around 3K miles or so. When your bike rolled off the assembly line, it was placed on a dyno and revved way up, so you ain't gonna hurt it with an occasional foray into higher revs, like when shifting. During the first 150 miles, don't travel at constant speeds, always vary the speedo readings. DO NOT LUG...keep those revs above 2200. Be going well over 60mph before putting it in 6th gear. And don't sweat the sounds, there are a lot of gears whirring around and things will eventually quiet down.
I suggest putting on some solo miles prior to doing two upping to get used to the feel of the bike and making early break-in easier on the engine. If the foot controls aren't right, they have fore and aft adjustment--in case you don't know.
For some reason, the bolts on the battery terminals come loose or aren't tightened enough at the factory, so make certain they are tight. While at it, place lock washers under the bolts, that'll help to keep 'em tight. There have been posts about cutting out and non starting--those bolts are usually the culprit.
Good luck and do keep us posted.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, RICZ. Very helpful.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Welcome. Something else to check is to see if they put the rubber for the windshield in the correct spot. should be between the cast part of the fairing and the windshield. Mine got put under the bolt heads twice from the dealer. If you get ready to ride sometime drop me a line. I am just up the road in Chattanooga.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the heads up.

I had planned to do at least part of the Trail of Tears ride Saturday, but it doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate. Probably wouldn't be a good idea on a new bike anyway.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that I think I can handle. I would much rather be on side roads than on the slab. Thanks for the info.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts