Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello riders,

I'm from Portugal and splitting my time between Portugal and South East Asia where I work.
I still don't own a Victory but I'm talks to buy a Victory Gunner second hand this December, gonna check it out and if all is good deal should be closed in one month.
Any tips on what to check for on a used Victory and specifically a Gunner would be greatly appreciated.

Planning on doing a Stage 1 upgrade soon and maybe Stage 2 around next year, been already reading through a lot of posts on the forum but hadn't posted introduction yet as I still undecided between the Gunner and a HD Softail Street Bob.

Safe rides

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Welcome, i used to go holliday in Portugal, são martinho do porto when i was very young ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Hello riders,

I'm from Portugal and splitting my time between Portugal and South East Asia where I work.
I still don't own a Victory but I'm talks to buy a Victory Gunner second hand this December, gonna check it out and if all is good deal should be closed in one month.
Any tips on what to check for on a used Victory and specifically a Gunner would be greatly appreciated.

Planning on doing a Stage 1 upgrade soon and maybe Stage 2 around next year, been already reading through a lot of posts on the forum but hadn't posted introduction yet as I still undecided between the Gunner and a HD Softail Street Bob.

Safe rides
Welcome from Connecticut, USA!
How many miles/km on this Gunner?
I would check the usual things: oil leaks, fork leaks, loud(er) engine noises, tire condition, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary.
The biggest thing for you would be how the bikes fit you. How comfortable are you when sitting on them? between the 2, they're both good bikes but the Gunner might handle a bit better. You'd have to test ride them to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
4,947 Posts
Mare see bucket madam weasel.

·
Registered
194 Posts
San Diego, California here. My mechanic pulled the plugs and air intake and looked inside. It should be clean. I would offer to change the oil on the bike so you can take a look at the old oil, and just make sure there aren't any metal devils in it. Also look at the filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome, i used to go holliday in Portugal, são martinho do porto when i was very young ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk
You should go there again, it's aging like a good wine - getting better with age.

Hello riders,

Safe rides
I would check the usual things: oil leaks, fork leaks, loud(er) engine noises, tire condition, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary.
The biggest thing for you would be how the bikes fit you. How comfortable are you when sitting on them? between the 2, they're both good bikes but the Gunner might handle a bit better. You'd have to test ride them to be sure.
Thanks for the tips, I have planned to take the motorcycle to an inspection with mechanic and I'll keep my eyes open for those things for sure.
I already rode the HD before and tbh I'm more inclined for the Gunner, quality and price tag wise.

Bem-vindo à família. Não importa qual você consiga, você é bem vindo aqui.
Obrigado! És de Portugal?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello riders,

Safe rides
The bike has almost 12.000km

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
San Diego, California here. My mechanic pulled the plugs and air intake and looked inside. It should be clean. I would offer to change the oil on the bike so you can take a look at the old oil, and just make sure there aren't any metal devils in it. Also look at the filter.
My last post was for you but I missed the quote. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Yup agree with above

When changing the oil you must smell the oil for petrol or not, what filters are avaleble ? I use a honda car filter coz we are not in the USA, and K&N is just another chineese product ...

Change / flush the brake fluid

Check brake pads, i use Lyndalls they last longer then stock or EBC

Check tire manufac. Date, no more then 5 years

Stock plugs are good enough

Download the bike shop manual from member @BBob

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
I buy everything straight from the USA, no need for dealer flash stuff,
#Torque Tubes
#RPW exhaust
#Fuel controller setup, whatever you like
#Under Drive Pulley
#Cams
#Remove speed limiter and set RPM on 6400 all the gears

It is easy to do all of this yourself, i did and i live in Indonesia, so schipping is kinda trouble ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup agree with above

When changing the oil you must smell the oil for petrol or not, what filters are avaleble ? I use a honda car filter coz we are not in the USA, and K&N is just another chineese product ...

Change / flush the brake fluid

Check brake pads, i use Lyndalls they last longer then stock or EBC

Check tire manufac. Date, no more then 5 years

Stock plugs are good enough

Download the bike shop manual from member @BBob

Andre using TaPaTaLk
I buy everything straight from the USA, no need for dealer flash stuff,
#Torque Tubes
#RPW exhaust
#Fuel controller setup, whatever you like
#Under Drive Pulley
#Cams
#Remove speed limiter and set RPM on 6400 all the gears

It is easy to do all of this yourself, i did and i live in Indonesia, so schipping is kinda trouble ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk
Thanks for the tips man.
Yeah, you pretty much said the mods I was thinking about, with extra cams and drive pulley which I was planning to leave for later.
I'll download the Gunner manual and give it a look.

Where do you stay in Indonesia? Which bike to you ride? I saw some Victory and Indian at bro Aan bengkel in Jakarta but I've never actually seen any on the road.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know if it's possible do raise the foot pegs in order to increase the lean angle? From reviews I've seen the Gunner tends to scrap the pegs very easily.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I suggest riding it in the twisties first and then, if you drag the pegs, ask again what can be done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I suggest riding it in the twisties first and then, if you drag the pegs, ask again what can be done.
Hey I'm just asking because I scrape pegs the whole time on the twisties riding a HD Sportster 1200 Custom and it's supposed to have a bit more lean angle than the Gunner. I'm asking because I'm really interested in the Gunner.

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Thanks for the tips man.
Yeah, you pretty much said the mods I was thinking about, with extra cams and drive pulley which I was planning to leave for later.

Where do you stay in Indonesia? Which bike to you ride? I saw some Victory and Indian at bro Aan bengkel in Jakarta but I've never actually seen any on the road.
I stay in Batam Island, yes there are some vics arround your area, the jakarta police has 100 victories, i think they sold a good number in Jakarta area, i see some nice pictures on the watsup groeps for the vics ....

I have a 13 Jackpot and i just sold my '14 Cross Country to a friend of mine ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Hey I'm just asking because I scrape pegs the whole time on the twisties riding a HD Sportster 1200 Custom and it's supposed to have a bit more lean angle than the Gunner. I'm asking because I'm really interested in the Gunner.
If you scrape a Jackpot or Hammer, you have to counterstear less and lean more, my heels scrape just before the pegs, actually if you scrape on a vic then you can adjust that .... but sometimes it happens, the road dips in corners .. The "chicken stripes" on your rear tire are a good indicator ... It is eaay to paint them anyway ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the tips man.

I stay in Batam Island, yes there are some vics arround your area, the jakarta police has 100 victories, i think they sold a good number in Jakarta area, i see some nice pictures on the watsup groeps for the vics ....

I have a 13 Jackpot and i just sold my '14 Cross Country to a friend of mine ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk
If you scrape a Jackpot or Hammer, you have to counterstear less and lean more, my heels scrape just before the pegs, actually if you scrape on a vic then you can adjust that .... but sometimes it happens, the road dips in corners .. The "chicken stripes" on your rear tire are a good indicator ... It is eaay to paint them anyway ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk
Yeah I do believe the Hammer and the Jackpot have better lean angles, 28.5° from what I can find online, compared to the Gunner, reported 25.5° - due to the differences in ground clearance and wheel size.
My question came from reading and seeing several reviews were people stated it was really easy to scrap the pegs. There was one user posting that he kinda fixed it by using pegs from an old Hammer (supposedly a couple cm higher) and raising the suspension.
Guess I won't know for sure until I try it.

Thanks for all the input.

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Yeah I do believe the Hammer and the Jackpot have better lean angles, 28.5° from what I can find online, compared to the Gunner, reported 25.5° - due to the differences in ground clearance and wheel size.
My question came from reading and seeing several reviews were people stated it was really easy to scrap the pegs. There was one user posting that he kinda fixed it by using pegs from an old Hammer (supposedly a couple cm higher) and raising the suspension.
Guess I won't know for sure until I try it.

Thanks for all the input.
Haaaa ok, yes when i had my stock pegs on it, there were these scraping pins on it ... Irritating to say the least ... Now i put some other pegs on there, less scraping of the pegs

I thought the Jackpot & Hammer were the lowest bikes of vic ? But i could be wrong ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts