Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum so here is my intro. I started riding in 2006 and always really liked the look of the Victories. My first bike was a 2001 750 Honda Shadow ACE because it was affordable and available at the time. Last summer I went to our local dealerships demo days and finally got to ride a Victory along with another Honda and a Kawasaki. The Victory was a 2011 Cross Roads which was a little more than I was looking for but at least it gave me a feel for these bikes and enabled me to make up my mind. So last week I bought a 2007 Victory Vegas pictured below. I'm trying to contain my excitement because as you can see I've got about two month of winter left before I can ride it.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Welcome to the Forums! If that bike is within eye shot of ya, it's gonna be a long winter!!!! Nice looking ride! Lot's of great info here and you def bought a great machine! Any projects or upgrades you doing while waiting on the snow to clear???

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pipes are already stage one so I'll probably leave them as they are. I do really like these LED signals. http://www.mbwmotorcycle.com/products/Vegas.html The fronts would be fine but I've got a bit of a dilemma with the rear because I'd have to mount the license plate some other way. I want to keep the saddlebags on so a side mount probably won't work. If there is a bracket that would still allow me to have the plate on the rear fender that would be ideal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum so here is my intro. I started riding in 2006 and always really liked the look of the Victories. My first bike was a 2001 750 Honda Shadow ACE because it was affordable and available at the time. Last summer I went to our local dealerships demo days and finally got to ride a Victory along with another Honda and a Kawasaki. The Victory was a 2011 Cross Roads which was a little more than I was looking for but at least it gave me a feel for these bikes and enabled me to make up my mind. So last week I bought a 2007 Victory Vegas pictured below. I'm trying to contain my excitement because as you can see I've got about two month of winter left before I can ride it.

welcome to the forum, you will love it, a lot off great help in here, nice looken bike but dam it looks cool there, well off to the gazebo for a beer cheers

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Hello and welcome from Georgia were the temp is going to be in the high 67 today.
great looking bike, Enjoy the bike

·
Registered
156 Posts
Welcome from a fellow canuck who is also waiting for the snow to leave.:(
You will love the bike and this forum. Enjoy

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We've only had a little bit more than two months of winter so far but I'm already sick of it. We didn't get much of a summer last year here in Prince George. Our warmest day was 27 C (80.6 F) and it was in September. It just rained and rained and rained... my lawn looked great and I never had to water it once! Unfortunately I don't give a crap about the lawn... I'd much rather be out riding in the sun.

I bought the bike in Vancouver, BC last week while on a micro vacation. At the same time I checked out the annual Vancouver Motorcycle Show and looked at some modestly sized trailerable sailboats for sale. Needless to say I had a pretty good year as an Apprentice Carpenter in 2011 so I had a few bucks to burn.

I paid $10000 for the bike which for this area appears to be a pretty fair price. They're hard to find, I'd have had a much easier time picking up a similarly sized Harley or Honda but my mind has been set on Victory for quite some time. The original owner put 15000km (10000 miles) on it, its been garage kept all its life, its got factory hard bags, windshield, tachometer, mustang seat, sissy bar, luggage rack, stage one exhaust, and a new lower profile rear tire. I was able to spot a few cosmetic blemishes but it was tough. Theres are two small scuffs in the rear fenders paint and it looks like the chrome accent on one of the hard bags was coming loose so he secured it with a matching screw. He also removed the tank emblems which is fine by me. I've never liked the look of those on any bike. The old factory pipes were also included in the sale.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Progress

Well the snow is 99% gone from the area although I did see a small patch of ice a few doors down the street yesterday. Our roads are also still covered in gravel and full of potholes but that hasn't stopped me from putting 600km on the bike this month. I've also made a few minor changes. Off came the windshield and sissy bar for now and I've replaced the cheese wedge and engine covers with something more aesthetically pleasing. The wedges came from victoryonly.com and the covers are Arlen Ness Retros from my dealership.

I also noticed a little too much free play in the handle bars because the stock Isolator rubber was becoming a bit soft. So I came up with this ghetto solution. I used white rubber washers for the picture but grey ones on the bike. Now the handlebars are nice and firm.

My next mod will be to replace the big black plastic stock air filter box with an S&S Air Cleaner Kit. I would like to replace the stock turn signals with the MBW LED systems but they don't comply with Canada's Department of Transportation rules so I don't know if I'd be able to keep them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would like to replace the stock turn signals with the MBW LED systems but they don't comply with Canada's Department of Transportation rules so I don't know if I'd be able to keep them.
The signals don't comply? How so? So far I haven't been harrassed about mine. The only thing I recall way back was having smaller than a certain square inch lens due to the required brightness of incandecent bulbs, but these LED's are more than twice as bright as stock.
Watch, now that I say this, I'll get dinged ha ha ha

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TABLE IV: LOCATION OF REQUIRED EQUIPMENT
down at the bottom of this page: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-mvstm_tsd-tsd-1080rev5_e-1231.htm#_Figure 32

You would only have an issue if the police pulled out a tape measure and if you removed the stock licence plate holder and didn't put three reflectors back.

Turn signal lamps:
"At or near the front - 1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline at the same height, and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline of lamps) of 400 mm (16 inches). Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and headlamp is 100 mm (4 inches).

At or near the rear - 1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 230 mm (9 inches). Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and tail or stop lamp is 100 mm (4 inches), when a single stop and tail lamp is installed on the vertical centerline and the turn signal lamps are red."

Reflex reflectors:
"On the rear - 1 red on the vertical centerline except that, if two are used on the rear, they shall be symmetrically disposed about the vertical centerline.
On each side - 1 red as far to the rear as practicable, and 1 amber as far to the front as practicable."

·
Registered
156 Posts
Interesting.
They seem to always have something in some document somewhere that takes the fun out of everything.
I'm not near my bike right now, and I never measured, but to me is seems that the rear reflectors on our vegas are lower than 15" and it states that they can't be lower than that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Newest mod complete.

I just completed the S&S intake installation and test ride. As many have mentioned before, getting the stock air box out is a PITA and involves a lot of cutting. But I'm happy with how things went. I've also installed a Power Commander III with the 2007 Hammer map from this site: http://www.mediafire.com/?1p369ilpy124z because my Vegas also already had a stage one download and exhaust. So far everything functions well and sounds fine. The bike seems to run a bit smoother now especially when I release the throttle, the engine doesn't slow the bike down as severely anymore. Eventually I would like to get the bike Dyno'd but not right now.

As usual I found the directions for both installations to be flawed. The S&S instructions should pretty much be followed in reverse order unless you intend on removing your bikes engine from its frame. And the recommended placement for the PCIII is ridiculous because there was already another module in that location. Two solid objects cannot occupy the same space (physics). So I stuck mine directly under the seat instead.

I think I'll add some braided stainless steel cables next...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dyno Tuned

I just brought my bike back from the Dyno Tuner at Harley. For $900 here is what I got: just over 100 hp and 106 torque. The guy who did the work said that he was impressed with how consistent the bikes power was right across the chart. I'm just happy to have the bike running a little smoother and sounding a little deeper.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since there is a link to this thread in my signature I'm keeping it going. Two weeks ago I did some more work on the bike. Here it is now with Victory Comfort Grips (Kuryakyn ISO Grips, same thing apparently), Arlen Ness Rad III Mirrors, Crossroad's HID kit and a stainless steel braided cable set. I've got some MBW LED turn signals on their way from Victoryonly.com which I will be installing next. When I do I plan to build a custom licence plate mount for the rear fender rather than buying a side mount. When I'm done I'll post more pictures.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I'm done now. This weekend I installed a set of MBW LED turn signals. Although I am having some issues with the Load Equalizer everything else turned out extremely well.

In order to keep my license plate where it was I had to cut the plastic mount off and then DIY some aluminum brackets.

·
Registered
636 Posts
just looking around since I "landed". Nice job on the Vegas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
S&S Air box

I love the muscley look of the S&S Air Box! I love mine! But as far as the Mapping, why did you choose to go with an 08 hammer map and what brand VFC did you get? LLOYDZ or PowerCommander? Because my Lloydz VFCIII is tuneable while riding, so you can custom ize your fuel system, but i just cant seem to get it where im happy with the mapping in ALL 5 gears, its always perfect in 1, 2, and 3 but a little lazy in 4, and 5 or visa versa

Any ideas? Input?

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I love the muscley look of the S&S Air Box! I love mine! But as far as the Mapping, why did you choose to go with an 08 hammer map and what brand VFC did you get? LLOYDZ or PowerCommander? Because my Lloydz VFCIII is tuneable while riding, so you can custom ize your fuel system, but i just cant seem to get it where im happy with the mapping in ALL 5 gears, its always perfect in 1, 2, and 3 but a little lazy in 4, and 5 or visa versa

Any ideas? Input?
I've got the PCIII and my bike has been properly dyno tuned now. At first I tried out a few freebie maps off of the internet but then I decided to just get it done right. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the other fuel controllers so I can't answer your question. Perhaps someone else with the Lloydz one will be able to help you out.

On a side note, I removed my passenger seat and footpegs last weekend. I've been riding since 2006 and I've never carried a passenger. I would have taken them off sooner but the mounting brackets for my saddle bags partially bolted to the footpeg mounts. So what I did was bend some more 1"x1/8" aluminum to make some new brackets for the saddlebag brackets to bolt to... sound confusing? Look at the picture.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
$900 for a dyno tune ?????:O WOW

1 - 20 of 21 Posts