Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying hi. Nope I do not own a Victory yet but have been hooked since I rode a demo CC at a local-ish dealership. Waiting for room in the family budget.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Just saying hi. Nope I do not own a Victory yet but have been hooked since I rode a demo CC at a local-ish dealership. Waiting for room in the family budget.
Welcome to the forum. cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'm looking at the Cross Country Tour or the Vision. I'll have to take them for a ride to make my decision. I've been lurking for a few months taking in all y'alls wonderful information.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Shopped for a new Electra Glide Ultra...

Looked at a Cross Country out of curiosity...

Now riding a new Vision! Not even broken in yet, but the handling and feel of the Vision is astounding!

/r

Allen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't mind sharing why did you chose the Vision? I like it but visually I prefer the Cross Country Tour however, I have not had a chance to ride one. I believe that will be the decision maker for me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I initially saw the Vision right after it came out in 2008 and while I respected it, I felt it was too over the top styling wise for my taste. I was riding an '05 Electra Glide Ultra at the time was more concerned with what a bike looked like than how it rode.

I traded that EGlide for my '09 Concours after I returned from a deployment to Iraq. I wanted a bike that was a performer and was a blast to ride, hence the Concours and we still had a 2004 Fatboy.

Early this year, the wife mentioned that she missed being able to ride 2-up with me instead of riding the Fatboy so I sold the Fatboy started looking at touring bikes again.

I looked at the BMW, but too much like what I already have in the Concours. Sat on a Goldwing (briefly) and don't care for the riding position and looses serious points just for being a Honda- even more since they moved production out of the US. Rode both a Road Glide Ultra and an Electra Glide Ultra Limited. I was really thinking seriously about the Limited but the 103 and new frame just didn't jump out. Improvements over my 2005, sure but quite underwhelming to tell the truth...

On a whim, I did a search for Victory dealers and discovered that on had opened close by (Motorsports Nation in Waterford CT) and decided to stop in after work. They had a few Cross Country's in stock and really liked the look and feel of the... But they also had a Sunset Red Vision.

Glanced at the Vision and chuckled a little. Sat on the Cross Country and played with it a little more... and glanced back at the Vision. Started the Cross Country and played with the radio... and glanced back at the Vision. Just for sheer entertainment, I walked over to the "Shuttle" to poke a little fun, and then sat on it.

Harumph! This thing has 2 full acres of dash between me and the gauges! Harumph! The floor-boards look like surfboards!
Then I discovered that the Vision felt pretty darn good. Sat her up again and got a little better feel for the ergonomics- those surfboard sized floor-boards gave me a ton of comfortable riding positions- no need to add highway pegs. The gauges were well positioned and clear, but all of the controls were right were they "should be". Wondering what the hell I was doing I jumped off and ran back over to the Cross Country- what would "my friends say?!" But I kept looking back at that damn Vision...

Got home and started doing some research... And scheduled a test ride. Took the Vision out for a ride, solo and with my better-half. That was the deciding factor. Nimble, comfortable, plenty of gadgets to keep Mama and me happy. She rode it and discovered it was an easier and more comfortable ride than the Fatboy we had.

The Vision may look different than other bikes out there, but it is different. The ride is planted and is much lighter feeling than the numbers would suggest. The fixed fairing makes for a much more stable ride than the Cross Country (or EGlide) can manage based on physics and feels more stable than the Road Glide. The duel would have to be between the Road Glide and the Vision but the Glide dash looks like an afterthought brick compared to the Vision. Only advantage the Cross Country would have over the Vision would be saddle bag capacity but the pros of the Vision were way too much. The Cross Country is a nice bike that will appeal to more traditional styled priorities but head-to-head, the Vision is a better riding platform.

This may sound like I'm throwing rocks and stereotyping, but if all I knew was Harley or "traditional" cruisers and really cared about other's opinions, I may not have looked twice (or more) at the Vision. It may be because I really love the RIDE of my Concours and have a different set of priorities, but the Vision is damned impressive. It may not be part of the traditional pack, but the Vision didn't trick its way into my garage- it earned it.

/r

Allen

·
Registered
47 Posts
BTW...

My new Vision will likely have a Palmetto and Moon just below the license plate this week! Haven't decided between that or an NRA Life Member sticker...

Grew up a bit west of you in Aiken but now reside in CT- thanks to Military orders! cheers

Proud to be a transplanted Gamecock- and happy they had a red bike!

/r

Allen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts