Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member here from Portland, OR. Currently I'm between bikes, as I just sold my V Star last week. And that leads me to the reason for joining the Victory forums. I'm looking at a few different bikes to buy, but the one that I cant stop thinking about is an 02 v92tc deluxe.
A little about myself, I've been riding for about 5 years. I'm also a MSF instructor, teaching all these new riders how to not become a statistic is really quite rewarding.
I look forward to learning from the forums here, as well as passing on any knowledge I may be able to offer.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Transition myself from a Vstar 1100 to a Victory XC. Good luck on your quest for a Victory. Ride Safe!

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
welcome friend. I'm sure you'll find all the info you need to make a good choice.cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the warm welcomes. I'm seeing a lot of good info on here already, and I don't even have any tech questions yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was curious if anyone can identify these saddlebags, and if they're worth a damn. Plus I'm practicing on posting pics here:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, you read that right. In the 5 years I've been riding I have logged over 80k miles seat time. I feel that seat time trumps years riding any day. For seasonal riders, depending on climate, you're lucky to get 2-3kmiles a year. I ride year round, with exceptions made for snow and ice, averaging 15k per year commuting, and several thousands on road trips. And that's why I'm upgrading to a Victory.
I started teaching to help new riders to stay safe. The majority of accidents in new riders occurs in slow maneuvering and failing to negotiate corners (target fixation). Much of what we teach is super beginner stuff IE; friction zone, shifting, obstacle avoidance, emergency stopping, etc, etc. You don't need to be a life long rider to teach this, you need to be passionate about motorcycling.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
And a soggy Portland welcome, WTS. In what part of town do you hang your helmet? I'm just spittin' distance from Fenders Moto Cafe on SE Woodstock. Jumped from 27 years on first gen Yamaha Ventures to my 2010 CrossRoads and lovin' it.
Would like to have a chat with you about your travels. You can prolly direct me to some roads I haven't experienced, what with all those miles in such a short time. I just hit the retirement scene and intend to do the same. Hittin' the Rockies this summer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm over near cycle gear on Stark st. The wife and I are heading towards the rockies this summer too. Gran Tetons>Yellowstone>Glacier in August. Mostly I enjoy zig zagging from the coast line to the coastal range and back, over and over on the weekends. When I'm in my car I can get to Waldport in about 3 hours, on the bike it takes me about 8.:ltr:

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Gotta love the Alsea Hwy, WTS. I'm going to the Motorcycle Touring Association Gathering in Montrose, CO mid June for some pass bagging. Talking of passes, if you haven't done it yet, ride the Bear Tooth Highway between Cooke City (just outside the NE corner of Yellowstone Park) and Red Lodge, MT. We've done it five or six times and never tire of it. My favorite way to do it is motel it in Cooke City for two nights and on the day in between, go to Red Lodge for lunch and return.
Could be we have crossed paths at Cycle Gear. At the Polar Bear, I'm one of the few not wearing black leather and riding a Victory.
Check out Fenders Moto Cafe--our kinda place. Where everyone knows your bike.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
If you are going to travel in August, why not go to the Victory rally in Iowa in mid-August?
Portland to Waldport in 3 hours is easy if you actually want to just go there. Waldport is near where I stay with my daughter when I visit out that way. We get together and rent a cabin overlooking the beach at "huckleberry hill". Same cabin every time means even I can find it from 2000 miles away.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
If you are going to travel in August, why not go to the Victory rally in Iowa in mid-August?
Portland to Waldport in 3 hours is easy if you actually want to just go there. Waldport is near where I stay with my daughter when I visit out that way. We get together and rent a cabin overlooking the beach at "huckleberry hill". Same cabin every time means even I can find it from 2000 miles away.
Let us know when you are going to be out here and maybe we can work up a get together. I look for any excuse to ride or drive to the coast.thumb up

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'm over near cycle gear on Stark st. The wife and I are heading towards the rockies this summer too. Gran Tetons>Yellowstone>Glacier in August. Mostly I enjoy zig zagging from the coast line to the coastal range and back, over and over on the weekends. When I'm in my car I can get to Waldport in about 3 hours, on the bike it takes me about 8.:ltr:
Welcome to the forum "Wheres_the_sun". Nice screen name.

That sounds like some "fun" riding if it takes 8 hours to get to Waldport from PDX.

The Gran Tetons>Yellowstone>Glacier area in early August can be an extreme weather experience sometimes. Later in August or even Sept. has a far better chance of good weather and less crowds.
If at all possible, stay in the park at least one night. Old Faithful Inn if possible. It's a great experience.

What model Victory are you thinking about purchasing?
KEN

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oldman- Iowa is not in the cards this year. We have a couple of other riders going on our Western states trip, and I got them really stoked on it.

orbiker- It's looking like the last week of August is our take off date. I've heard that last year was like white out conditions on Road to the Sun in July. I'm really digging this 02 v92c in my area. There's a bit of discrepancy in model by the seller, so I'm going to try to use that as a negotiating edge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts