Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm set on buying a victory vegas and have been doing some research but I want to get some opinions on whether to get a 2006 or an older one? All I really know is that the 06 has a bigger motor and a 6 speed tran. What are the other differences in the years and models? Thanks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
while i don't know all the differences, there are some, my son has an o4 vegas [ o3 was the first yr. for the vegas] it has the smaller engine ibelieve its a 1500cc and 5 speed , i bought sold my harley 1340 cc evo motor and bought an 09 vegas 100 cc 6 sp. side by side you can see the changes they made, very hard to tell them apart, some riders , regardless of brand want all the power they can sqeeze out of the machine, theres plenty available with the vic. without sacraficing dependability, myself the old harley with 1340 had plenty of umph for me, my present bike in stock form has way more power than the harley with cams, carb, aftermarket single fire ign. there is some discussion on the forums re the 08 - 10 bikes having closed loop fuel injection, and needing more fine tuning when installing aftermarket go fast goodies, myself im not concerned, if you can find a new 06-07-08-09 the factory was giving the 5 yr. extended warranty that may influence your decision? also in addition if your military or retired military vic is giving an additional $ 1000.00 off the purchase of a new bike. im sure others will give you there perspective, this is a good site, with knowledgeable people, whatever vic you buy i believe you will be very happy with it.

steve

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I would recommend an 06 - 07 they all have the 100/6 EXCEPT the 8balls which are 100/5.

The 05 Hammer has the 100/6 which is the first Victory year model with it.

If you decide to go with a 100/5 or a 92/5, there is the option of the aftermarket OD sprocket for the 5 speed.

ALSO the 06 and 07 are open loop systems which take and are easier to modify.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You should go out and check out the 2010 Vegas LE. You only have until Feb. 15 the to lock your order in. They are quite affordable and sweeeet!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many different vegas models are there and what is the difference? I was looking at getting an 06 or newer because of the 100/6 but I didn't know the 8ball was different.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
If i'm not mistaken the "Vegas" is the bike and the name for the model range. For instance the Jackpot is the Vegas Jackpot.

The newer (03 and up) Vegas bikes are

Vegas, 8ball, Kingpin, Jackpot and Hammer.

There are variations on those bikes, like the Lows, Ness, 8ball series etc.

The 8balls and KP 8balls have a 5 speed tranny all others are 6 speed.

03-05 are 92 cubic inch motors aside from the 05 hammer wirth the 100CI.

Hammer and Jackpot have a 250mm rear tire.

Hammer and Kingpin have inverted forks.

Then you have the hydraulic clutches on the 08's an newer.

You can go on the Victory web site to view and compare the models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vegas LE

Check out the 2010 Vegas LE , its 106/6 speed. Special colors and limited production.

The Vegas is a great bike whatever you choose.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it better to get a 2007 Vegas or a Vegas 8ball. I know the tranny is different but is it better to get the 6speed? I found a 2007 8ball but don't know if i should wait for one that's a 6 speed?
Thanks for all the info

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
As far as waiting for a 6 speed for an 8ball. I don't think its going to happen.

Go with a Vegas and black it out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
if your asking is a 5 sp better or more desireable than a 6 sp imo i would say no, due to the fact at least on my 09 vegas all gear ratios are the same the 6 th. gear being an actual overdrive , why have your engine turning at a higher rpm than necessary ? during sustained
riding . higher rpm = quicker wear , shorter engine life or at least shorter intervals between engine repairs.

keeping everything in perspective, we seemed to do just fine when all they made were 4 speeds, then we realized how great 5 speeds were, and now the 6 speed. the old brit. bikes shifted on the right we handled that all right, only 4 sp. we installed a larger counter sprocket evened things out, but ......

you gotta love evolution, thats why we got overhead cams, multiple valves, capacity discharge ignition, [ no more points] fuel injection, [ no more fooling around with re-jetting especially when going to higher elevations] better fuel mileage, not having to choke , for starters.

ill admit you had to drag us old farts away from points, a nail file and a piece of paper we could clean and set our points, time it by ear, and anyone could jery rig a carb to run, perhaps not the best , but she would run,

steve :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Great post Stevie!...we all want more!!! remember wanting a huge 24 inch TV?!!!
MY 2 cents ..go the six speed if you are going to ride long distance alot or even occasionally. Or go for 5 or six speed ( best bike that comes along ) if you are going to ride the bar scene / short around town runs . As Stevie said Five is more than four and we lived and loved those bikes just as much! You will love it either way i bet!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So i'm going to look at a 2006 Vegas 8Ball with 2600 miles on Friday. Any suggestions on what to ask the seller about the bike? I've been riding sportbikes for 8 years now and this will be my first Cruiser. Thanks again for all the input.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also where can I find the cover on the engine that says 100? The pic of the bike i'm going to look at doesn't have that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
1/ has it been dropped , if so how bad and does he have pictures. if it was light and only cosmetic stuff that got damaged still look, if it was a major with lots of bent stuff ( forks , frame etc ) walk away
2/ Does it have a service history ( even though its low miles )
3/ what mods has he done
4/ Tell him not to warm it up you would like to see it start from cold...just to make sure all is well with the cold start curcuit and she doesnt smoke bad or knock when cold.

These are my generic questions for any bike...others who know more of the victory ins and outs will give you more to ask.
Good luck
Cheers Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picked up a 2006 8ball today, with ground pounder pipes on it. I can't wait to ride. Thanks for all the input.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
The ground pounders are made by Conquest Customs. You'll see a link to them in my signature.

The 06 8ball did not have a mount for the cheese wedge (thats the general term). I think Kevin actually answered this for you in another thread.

Congratulations!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The guys building motors will tell you that it is easier to make power with the 92 vs. the 100. And unless you do a lot of freeway driving do not rule out a 5 speed. Overdrive pulleys are available that will drop rmps at speed. That 92 will run neck and neck with a 100.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Actually a 92 upgraded to a 100 will pull away from a stock 100. The heads are much better on the 92.

I have a friend with an 05 KP with the 100 kit. We were doing 65mph on the highway. I wanted to see if what I heard was true about the upgraded 92.

I shifted to 5th (since he only has 5 gears) and we hit it. He pulled away from me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts