Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I signed up a few days ago and have been reading through a lot of threads. Right now I own a Suzuki Hayabusa that I bought new back in '04. After about 50,000 miles I'm getting to the point were I'm really tired of dealing with soft luggage and keeping the chain lubed. I was thinking of making the move to a Kawasaki Concours, but a bagger seems like a good choice as well, considering I'd be gaining cruise control and a stereo. I was able to do a demo ride on a Cross Country last week and was impressed. I also did a demo ride on a Kawasaki Vaquero and although it seemed like a perfectly adequate bike it just didn't seem to match up to the quality and refinement of the Victory.

I'm doing a road trip later this week out to California. I'm thinking after I get back I'll have to do some serious soul searching to figure out what the next best move for me will be.

Any input would be appreciated. thumb up

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Do your research and you will end up with an educated decision you won't regret. There's no such thing as reading up too much on this, especially since it sounds like you keep your bikes a while. cheers

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
I think you are headed in the right direction. I wish Ma Vic would've come out with the hard lowers that JTD has. I've sunk a ton o' money in my ride already and if I can scrounge up enough, I'll probably get those as the last major upgrade to mine. The only thing is they have to be painted to match, but my local auto painter does a great job of matching, just don't know what he'll charge yet.

BTW - Just my personal .02 cents worth, but I'm quite glad JTD came out with the enclosures for the forged bars cause I think the Victory ones suck (having to swap out forged bars for tubular ones).

NO hate responses.... just as I said above, it's just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
784 Posts
If you can live with the loss of performance, and adapt to the seating, you may like it. If you ride 2 up, you will love it.
Getting used to the lesser performance is a little bit of an issue for me. Remembering to drop a gear or two and giving myself the extra space to pass is in the front of my mind all the time. It isn't bad, but must be considered.
Back to the 2 up, can you feel a pillion on the Busa? I couldn't feel mine on my Wing, and can on the XCT. It isn't bad either, just something that needs some getting used to. It is getting better and goes away at about 5-10 MPH.
It is a different ride and the creature comforts are pretty good. I wish they would have built in a little more security at the price range, but they didn't. The luggage is spacious and pretty nice with the fit and finish.

All in all if it is you, it will be hard to get the big dumb grin off your face. I have one too. Ride one again to be sure and see if you can get an hour or so on it to get a good shakedown. A V-Twin is a long way from what you are used to.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
If you can live with the loss of performance, and adapt to the seating, you may like it. If you ride 2 up, you will love it.
Getting used to the lesser performance is a little bit of an issue for me. Remembering to drop a gear or two and giving myself the extra space to pass is in the front of my mind all the time. It isn't bad, but must be considered.
It is a different ride and the creature comforts are pretty good. I wish they would have built in a little more security at the price range, but they didn't. The luggage is spacious and pretty nice with the fit and finish.

All in all if it is you, it will be hard to get the big dumb grin off your face. I have one too. Ride one again to be sure and see if you can get an hour or so on it to get a good shakedown. A V-Twin is a long way from what you are used to.

Cheers
Thing is - there are several, not-so-expensive ways to give the X Bikes a little oomph without breaking the bank!

Also, Lostintexas, please add your bikes model, year and mods to your user profile so fellow readers can determine what you have and what yuo've done to it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
was in similar place had triumph 1200 trophy made the mistake of selling it have missed it ever since bought an used valkerie interstate for the bags stereo and so on never owned a bike less than 10 years hated this bike rode a cross country and ended up buying it 2011 blue,hard lowers,heated seat,grips, ipod ,truck chrome rails its in all rights an xct some v- twin vibes buged me at first but the more i ride the more i love it no longer miss the triumph this bick is awesome!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I did have a Honda VTX for a while before I bought the Hayabusa so i'm not totally new to the V-twin cruiser world. I liked that bike and did a bit of touring with it, but at that point in my life I just wasn't interested in putting a windshiled on it or doing a couple other things that it needed to make it comfortable enough for me.

The Concours would keep me in the same horsepower ballpark, but the lack of cruise control is starting to become more and more a factor for me. I ride with a few guys that have cruise and they all seem to love that feature on their bikes. Throttle locks just aren't quite cutting it any more.

The wife and I have never done a whole lot of 2-up riding. She's probably been on my Busa less than 5 times since I've owned it. Even when I had my VTX about all we would do is make a quick ride into town once in a while to go out to eat or something like that. She really has no interest in doing any kind of touring with me. Sitting on the back of a bike for 500 miles just doesn't appeal to her at all. That's probably the biggest reason I'm not looking into the XCT.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I did have a Honda VTX for a while before I bought the Hayabusa so i'm not totally new to the V-twin cruiser world. I liked that bike and did a bit of touring with it, but at that point in my life I just wasn't interested in putting a windshiled on it or doing a couple other things that it needed to make it comfortable enough for me.

The Concours would keep me in the same horsepower ballpark, but the lack of cruise control is starting to become more and more a factor for me. I ride with a few guys that have cruise and they all seem to love that feature on their bikes. Throttle locks just aren't quite cutting it any more.

The wife and I have never done a whole lot of 2-up riding. She's probably been on my Busa less than 5 times since I've owned it. Even when I had my VTX about all we would do is make a quick ride into town once in a while to go out to eat or something like that. She really has no interest in doing any kind of touring with me. Sitting on the back of a bike for 500 miles just doesn't appeal to her at all. That's probably the biggest reason I'm not looking into the XCT.
1. I was looking at getting a Concours last year this time.

2. I switched over by the end of Fall as I took my brother's Road Star out for a day trip.

I will hopefully be picking up a Red XCT this week(crosses fingers).

Reasons are simple: Storage (41 gallons), built on trunk (was considering the corbin "queen seat" setup for the Concours. Next came the built in Stereo and 4 speakers(2 in trunk). Then the seat height, 26 inches (more sure footed as well as not as top heavy). That was my biggest concern with the Concours, was that 2 up would be top heavy. You specifically mention mostly 1 up though so its a harder choice.

I had added a trunk (Givi V46) on my Ninja 650R and loved it. I couldn't turn it into the tourer that could go the distance in the end. That started my search.

It seems you are leaning against the XCT and just want the XC, however take a closer look at what you get with the XCT for the price compared to a XC. Half of what the XCT has over the XC would bring the prices the same.

The trunk if you don't bolt it can literally be removed in less than 15 seconds.

I know some don't like the looks of a trunk, and i guess those that don't wear full face helmets don't see the benefit of the trunk as much as I do. I just love being able to park anywhere and pop the trunk and drop in the helmet. It is out the rain, etc. Also it allows me to pick up groceries, etc. I will be adding a rack to it probably in a few months and that will only increase the storage.

I want a bike for 15+ years. A bike I can take everything I need for a long trip. The XCT will be that bike for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts