Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I'm knew here. I don't own a Victory yet, but I'm seriously considering buying one to go along with my Ninja 250 for weekends and when I go out of town.

I'm leaning towards getting a Gunner, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I hope you find the right bike for you!

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
If you get a Victory, your Ninja will collect dust. Use it for trading stock. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you get a Victory, your Ninja will collect dust. Use it for trading stock. :)
Possibly, but I don't own a car, so having a second motorcycle would be nice. Although from what I can tell, Victorys tend not to need much in the way of maintenance. I had a chance to visit a dealer today and sit on some bikes. I have to say that they look even better in person than on the internet. And they feel lighter than my current bike due to the low center of mass even though they're much heavier. I was afraid to arrange a test drive as I don't think my bank account could withstand me buying one right now. :crying

The baggers appear much bigger than what I want or need, but the Gunner and Hammer S seem about the right size and ergonomically felt like they fit me. For some reason, the Vegas seemed much tippier than the other two and I can't figure out why.

Now, all I have to do is save me some money so that I can go out and make one of them mine.

I'll probably wind up getting a 2017 model about this time next year, but hopefully my finances will allow me to buy one sooner.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
After a second bout with cancer treatment, my weaker body was finding my Venture Royale too intimidating and I needed a lower seat and CofG. Just then, Victory popped up with the Cross bikes and want to simplify, I bought a XR and so glad I did. All you said is true: heavy, but doesn't feel it and handles great. I'm liking those huge bags too. I have schlepped many things that other bikes can't.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a second bout with cancer treatment, my weaker body was finding my Venture Royale too intimidating and I needed a lower seat and CofG. Just then, Victory popped up with the Cross bikes and want to simplify, I bought a XR and so glad I did. All you said is true: heavy, but doesn't feel it and handles great. I'm liking those huge bags too. I have schlepped many things that other bikes can't.
I'm sorry about the cancer. My mother's presently going through chemo herself. She'll be fine, but since they missed a few cells last time, they're being extremely thorough this time.

Anyways, now that you mention it, there's really no harm in test riding one of those larger bikes. One of the great things about the local dealer is that you can test ride the bikes. I'm not sure if that's all dealers or just the local one, but it does make a huge difference in verifying that the bike is what the research says it is. The videos I've seen suggest that they handle a lot better than I'd think. It would be nice to have those large side bins and unlike the touring bikes, the baggers leave you the option of having just a luggage rack for wider things.

But, I'll be leaving this somewhat to the future. I'm doing my research as thoroughly as possible as I intend to own my next bike until it breaks and can't be fixed. :grin

I get the feeling that I could be happy with any of the bikes, it's just a matter of which one fits my budget and use the best. :grin

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
Frankly, I'm an active 80 year old and I do all my own work on my XR, including wheel removal. I can't speak for the framed bikes, but the Cross bikes are very easy to work on - I have yet to find a fastener that's hard to get to. And I never owned a bike where you don't have to remove the mufflers to take off the rear wheel, like you can on the Cross bikes.
Its like the designers were told: You make it like you are the one that has to ride it and work on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Frankly, I'm an active 80 year old and I do all my own work on my XR, including wheel removal. I can't speak for the framed bikes, but the Cross bikes are very easy to work on - I have yet to find a fastener that's hard to get to. And I never owned a bike where you don't have to remove the mufflers to take off the rear wheel, like you can on the Cross bikes.
Its like the designers were told: You make it like you are the one that has to ride it and work on it.
That's one of the benefits of not being weighed down by decades of previous design decisions. I hope they'll take advantage of it and push the bikes in a more modern and possibly slightly futuristic direction for their aesthetics. The bikes themselves look pretty good as is, but with Indian and Harley both doing the more retro look, a fresher approach is quite refreshing.

I've put in for an HVAC apprenticeship, so when my number gets called, I'll probably arrange to test drive a few. I think I'll get the XC a shot, as well as the Hammer and Gunner as those seem to be the ones that speak to me the most. I have to admit that the storage capacity of the XC would be quite welcome. I know I can add storage to any of the other bikes, but it's nice having it baked into the bike.

I was wondering about that rear wheel, but I hadn't asked. So, it's possible to remove that with just a stand and a few tools then? That seems nice and convenient.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can fit a week's groceries in the bags of an XR. Or lots of beer.
That's something to consider. I think one of the nice things about the baggers over the touring bikes here is that you've got the area behind the passenger seat free to do with as you like. In some ways, I think that having the ability to put a luggage rack there is more useful than the extra box.

In retrospect, I should have brought my helmet into the dealer and put it in one of the side cases as a reference. I bet that the helmet would fit in there with no problem and probably have some room to spare.

You guys are making it so hard for me to choose. :grin

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
You can fit a half helmet easily in the hard bag of a Cross bike. I don't think a 3/4 would fit, and a full certainly would not. But there's plenty of room for all your other stuff. I have the luggage rack for my bike, and the backrest being quick release is nice.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
The future of Victory, according to the brass there, is to evolve into a performance bike, possibly leaning toward a cruiser silhouette. With the advent of Indian, there now exists showroom conflict, so Victory has to pull away from the heavy cruiser mold. When this will happen, no one outside the boardroom knows yet, but we have already seen new product with evidence to support that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The future of Victory, according to the brass there, is to evolve into a performance bike, possibly leaning toward a cruiser silhouette. With the advent of Indian, there now exists showroom conflict, so Victory has to pull away from the heavy cruiser mold. When this will happen, no one outside the boardroom knows yet, but we have already seen new product with evidence to support that.
That would make a ton of sense, when I look at the new additions to the line, they seem to mostly be going that route. The Octane in particular represents a direction that I'd like to see them explore more thoroughly. Same goes for their Empulse, really nice looking bike.

I'm not personally the biggest fan of the styling on their bigger bikes, but the Vision has a really nice look to it. I think the cowlings on the baggers don't really work for me personally. For some reason they don't look quite like they belong on the bike when I'm looking at them. But, then again, I feel the same way about those batwings on the HD bikes as well, so it might just not be my thing.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
The cowlings hide the battery and oil radiator and the weaky, wimpy horn.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Precisely! My bike now sports a pair of Ford car horns courtesy of Mags. Thank you Sir. Now my horns get attention.
My M109 must have had the same horn Victory uses. I added a Stebel air horn in the head light bucket. I always get a good laugh when the tech does the state inspection and checks my horn expecting a little "meep meep" :grin

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
Here's where my Ford horns are mounted - on the crash bars, next to the frame. No one sees them unless I point them out.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts