Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was reading an article in MCN about this. Aside from the windscreen it's not something I ever bother to do, but I suppose I should.

They consulted a Shoei rep who recommended filling a large bucket with water a small amount of Pine Sol and white vinegar. Then dunk the lid and let the additives do their thing. Apparently, neither one of those products reacts adversely with the materials of adhesives in the lid.

The also recommend a new one every 5 years or 7 years past the date of mfg, whichever comes first.

Finally, they recommend keeping them away from the gas tank as fumes can actually deteriorate the foam liners and shell. But then so does a sweaty skull. :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
For years now my helmet care has been the same. I take it in the shower with me.... rinse/lather/repeat.... Put in the back yard under the patio cover... nice and fresh!!!

Larry

·
Registered
931 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
The Shoei rep was at the IMS show a couple of years ago. He recommended using whatever shampoo you use to clean the liners. Makes sense so you know that you don't have a negative reaction to it being around your face.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use a waterless shampoo that you spray in the helmet. I let it air for a bit and then brush the white residue out with a towel.

Quick, easy and inexpensive.

I read it in a motorcycle publication last year.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ride in the rain and wipe it off when you get home.
On the inside dont loan it to anyone and get used to your own stink.
cheers

·
Registered
784 Posts
You are supposed to wash them?! :ltr:

I use helmets with removeable cheek pads and liner. Take them out and wash with warm water and baby shampoo. As noted above, less likly to have a hamburger head, and if somehow soap infused sweat runs into your eyes, there is no insult to injury. If no removable liners are in your lid this still works, just use a well soaked towel or some put them in the dishwasher. Take out any electronics first.

This happens about 3-4 times a year, but we tend to sweat 11 months out of the year here.

Cheers

·
Registered
70 Posts
LDComfort

+I agree with the stink guys, generally. But I dramatically extend my helmets' stink resistance by simply wearing a LDComfort helmet liner, which I periodically wash.

People ask, "Well, isn't that a hat under a hat that gets hot?", and, after I chuckle a moment, admit that, indeed, I'm layering against the heat, and it works fine.

http://ldcomfort.com/store/store/product.php-productid-11-cat-0-page-1-featured.html

These are now available in cap style for 1/2 - 3/4 helmet comfort.

http://ldcomfort.com/store/product.php?productid=20&cat=6&bestseller=Y

Ride on.
Roadkill

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
+I agree with the stink guys, generally.
As I mentioned, the stink method has always worked for me (though oddly I don't seem to notice my own smell. OTOH, never had one stolen so maybe the thieves do?). The issue raised in the article is that our cranial discharges can actually chemically degrade our helmet's spongy bits.

Having never seen actual proof of this, I'm a little skeptical. I've beaten a curb with an old hat of mine only to get a passing grade from the head checkers who arrived shortly thereafter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts