Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to get rid of a couple of older helmets that I rarely wear anymore. Hate to just throw them out, so I was wondering if there is an organization out there that recycles old helmets? What are you doing with old helmets you no longer use?

Thanks,

D2

·
Registered
782 Posts
After 5 years, the compounds and adhesives break down and can no longer be relied upon for safety. Even if they are new and unworn. This is backed up by Snell, and even Arai has this info on their website.

After 5 years, cut the straps and use em for display, or just throw them away.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have three I am getting rid of. Like the Shark EvoLine 2, but might wait for the EvoLine 3 that will be available later this year....
d2

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Fleabay them. Just let the bidders know the mfg date so that they can make an educated decision. As far as "glues wearing out after 5 years...Give me a break (As John Stossel would say). I can see replacing one if it has hit the pavement as you can't tell just from looking whether any internal damages have occurred.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I donated about 4 of my "extra's" to the local MSF training course. All my lids were only a couple of years old though. They must have a "DOT" decal or they can't use them.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't wear helmets often. I know not safe. But all of my helmets are displayed on my shelves. I like doing that to show the changing between the years and it also brings back great memories.
For example my very first helmet was a hjc. Was what i wore for most my drag racing years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts