Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been many, many years since I've had the need for a helmet to helmet comm system. In fact the first one I ever used was a pneumatic tube system on a Beemer in the 70's, it worked but I'm thinking that technology has improved somewhat in the last 30-40 years.

Our XC has the Stage One and Tri-Ovals on it and although it's not overtly loud the combination of the pipes and the low window up front do make communicating while wearing helmets a little difficult. The helmets by the way are the 2014 Victory shorty helmets that have the detachable ear pads on them. The ear pads have pretty much become permanent as the things really are comfy and do damp the racket.

After stopping a two bike shops and having to explain what helmet comm's were I gave up on the shops. They both told me they could "special order" one for me but not knowing if it will work with the shorty helmets or not I'm not willing to roll the dice.

What I'm wondering is are there those of you out there who use helmet comm devices and if so which ones, pros, cons etc.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
It's been many, many years since I've had the need for a helmet to helmet comm system. In fact the first one I ever used was a pneumatic tube system on a Beemer in the 70's, it worked but I'm thinking that technology has improved somewhat in the last 30-40 years.

Our XC has the Stage One and Tri-Ovals on it and although it's not overtly loud the combination of the pipes and the low window up front do make communicating while wearing helmets a little difficult. The helmets by the way are the 2014 Victory shorty helmets that have the detachable ear pads on them. The ear pads have pretty much become permanent as the things really are comfy and do damp the racket.

After stopping a two bike shops and having to explain what helmet comm's were I gave up on the shops. They both told me they could "special order" one for me but not knowing if it will work with the shorty helmets or not I'm not willing to roll the dice.

What I'm wondering is are there those of you out there who use helmet comm devices and if so which ones, pros, cons etc.
Are you doing bike to bike or just passenger to rider?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Passenger to rider is all I need. It would be nice if the system had BlueTooth that could patch into my non-apple phone for music etc. but it's not a deal breaker.

Basically I want to be able to talk to that pretty redhead sitting behind me.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I have the Cardo Scala Rider Q3 sets. Nothing not to like. The only problem with these Bluetooth communicators is they don't talk to each other. Whatever brand you get, you'll only be able to talk to those with the same brand.
The Q3 comes in pairs, so you'll have rider to passenger and/or bike to bike communication.
I'm gonna be very direct here,like your mom was (maybe)....If you aren't wearing earplugs you're being very foolish. Hearing aids cost around $5,000--earplugs cost just dimes.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
We have the Sena SMH10 and can not complain a bit.
Great volume. Able to stream tunes from her phone and she can answer phone calls(I won't while riding). In fact i'm trying to talk my cousins into buying Sena so that we can ALL communicate when we're on our longer runs.
Very good battery life with the Sena's

·
Registered
85 Posts
I researched for my half helmet but didn't pull the trigger. Here's what the forums said is best for halfs (and only from what I saw): http://www.sena.com/product/intercoms/sph10h/

I went with a Bell 3/4 helmet with integrated Sena headset. BTW, nearly as light as my half and definitely the most comfortable helmet I've worn...

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sena has several to choose from.

From the Revzilla website

Sena 20S Bluetooth Headset - Dual Pack $494.95
Sena SMH10R Bluetooth Headset - Dual Pack $299.96
Sena SMH-10 Bluetooth Headset Dual Pack $284.75
Sena SMH5-FM Bluetooth Headset Wired Mic - Dual Pack $224.25

The 20S has 1.5 mile range, advanced Bluetooth 4.0 and a built-in FM radio tuner.

The SMH-10R has Bluetooth 3.0 with a 900 meters range, Talk time: 8 hours and Stand-by time: 7 days with a separate battery pack so it doesn't stick out as far as the SMH-10.

The SHM-10 has Bluetooth 3.0 with a 900 meters range, Talk time: 12 hours and standby time: 10 days

The SMH-5 has Bluetooth 3.0 with a 700 meters range, Talk time: 8 hours and Stand-by time: 7 days

Personally I have the SMH-10 and am very pleased with it though I don't use the intercom, just Bluetooth for Pandora, calls, and CB comms.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
BTW we both wear full-face helmets.
Sorry if you wear different and I misled you.

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
My wife and. I have the Sena SMH10's. They work very well. We have them in 3/4 helmets with the shield. I also bought an extra mount for my 1/2 helmet. It also
Works pretty good, although it has a little more noise to it since there is no shield on it.
Also, they are supposed to be able to pair up with other brands too, from what I have read. I have not tried that yet though.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I use the Sena sph-10h specifically made for half helmets. Also have the sph-10 in a modular. I have two friends as well as my son who also run Sena so I have used them for both the intercom many times as well as the bluetooth to listen/speak on my phone as well as get directions from my gps.

The 10h is a great design for half helmets--love it! Intercom is loud and clear, easily adjustable. Great for talking on phone under 70mph with half helmet and as fast as you wish with a full face...

Shop around--prices on the half helmet version range greatly!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have the Cardo Scala Rider Q3 sets. Nothing not to like. The only problem with these Bluetooth communicators is they don't talk to each other.
Well that is not true. How well it works I don't know, as I have not personally tried it, but supposedly the latest version of the Sena firmware allows you to communicate with other brands.

I use the Sena SMH-10 and have been very happy with it. Works well with my IPhone and the wife and I can ride all day listening to Music and talking. Battery life is really good on these things.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have the Cardo Scala Rider Q3 sets. Nothing not to like. The only problem with these Bluetooth communicators is they don't talk to each other. Whatever brand you get, you'll only be able to talk to those with the same brand.
The Q3 comes in pairs, so you'll have rider to passenger and/or bike to bike communication.
I'm gonna be very direct here,like your mom was (maybe)....If you aren't wearing earplugs you're being very foolish. Hearing aids cost around $5,000--earplugs cost just dimes.
Well that is not true. How well it works I don't know, as I have not personally tried it, but supposedly the latest version of the Sena firmware allows you to communicate with other brands.

I use the Sena SMH-10 and have been very happy with it. Works well with my IPhone and the wife and I can ride all day listening to Music and talking. Battery life is really good on these things.
Term beat me to it but that's exactly what I was going to say. Sena's are supposed to work just fine with other brands thanks to a firmware update. Like Term I have not tried it as all of my riding buddies have sena's. I will say that the product itself is fantastic and their customer service is top notch. Can't go wrong with a sena. I have a pair of SMH10's for me and the Mrs. at the moment but I will most likely be upgrading to the SMH20 when those are released.

And yeah, always wear earplugs. Wind noise WILL cause permanent hearing loss over time. I've been having this argument with my lady for a while now but she still won't wear them regularly because she says they're uncomfortable. I thought the same thing when I first started with them but I'm used to them by now. Can't ride without them anymore, things are so loud that I get distracted and can't focus on my riding.

·
Registered
851 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I love the Sena units. I went on trip last year and four of us were able to patch our units together and able to converse with each other. I also use it to bluetooth music from my phone.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I have heard from guys I ride with that have Sennas that there is a firmware update that will allow them to talk to my Scala Rider, but they have yet to load it. Darn!
The reason I have a Cardo set is it was one of the items at a raffle, so I bought twenty $1 tickets and won a $400 dual Scala Rider Q3 set. It has all the Bluetooth features and FM radio bells and whistles, so many, I have to carry the manual with me.

·
Registered
566 Posts
We like the Nolan helmets and its NCom system. The benefits to it are that the system is integrated into the helmet unlike the awkward Sena and Scala ones that stick out from the sides and the helmets are all-day comfortable but that has more to do with the shape of your head. I can't, for example, wear Scorpions as they give me a headache.

Bilt, also, has their own line of integrated Bluetooth helmets. They are relatively inexpensive, full-face, flip-up helmets. Again, I couldn't wear them for any length of time, even at the store, as the pressure on my forehead was too much.

There's a high-end integrated helmet, Schuberth, German engineered, that the uber touring crowd seems to love, as well. At $700, though, they're expensive.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
So how'r you liking that ATS Jag? The reviews are very imressive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts