Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every bike I have ever owned has had a place to snap, lock, loop up your helmet strap to hold it on the bike...am I missing something or does Victory not have one on the XC???

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
XC/XR do not have helmet locks. It's not a big deal if you wear a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet simply put it (or them) in the saddle bags and lock the lid. There aren't a lot of options on where to put a lock if you have the forged bars. You can't use the easiest ones to find, they are usually made for tubular bars. Here's a few suggestions:

Change to Kuryakyn grips and get the grip end locks.
Fab a plate for a standard helmet lock -- install inside highway bars.
Buy the Victory Trunk and have instant room for 2 full helmets.
Fab a mount for bag protection bars.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
On page 118 of the April issue of Rider magazine is an ad for a helmet lock that's a carabiner with a combination lock. Go to www.bestrestproducts.com and check out their Helmetlok. It's useful for more than just locking a helmet.

·
Registered
356 Posts
These might work if the Vision grips are the same. I was thinking about adding them to my bike if they work.

Edit: They do work. Here's the install video from the manufacturer. The description says it fits the XC/XR.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wear a full face Shoei RF1100 (fantastic helmet) after looking around the house I finally found a use for the crappy cable locks that comes with every handgun purchase.... its just long enough to wrap around the saddle bag rails and through the front face portion of the helmet. It holds the helmet securly so there is virtually zero movement, cant slide off and hit the paint or move more then about a half an inch if someone with sticky hands trys to grab and run.

These might work if the Vision grips are the same. I was thinking about adding them to my bike if they work.

Edit: They do work. Here's the install video from the manufacturer. The description says it fits the XC/XR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKkg648UiXA

·
Registered
782 Posts
I wear a full face Shoei RF1100 (fantastic helmet) after looking around the house I finally found a use for the crappy cable locks that comes with every handgun purchase.... its just long enough to wrap around the saddle bag rails and through the front face portion of the helmet. It holds the helmet securly so there is virtually zero movement, cant slide off and hit the paint or move more then about a half an inch if someone with sticky hands trys to grab and run.

My go-to helmet is also the RF1100, but I ride a Hammer, so I don't have bags to do this with unfortunately. Plus I'm running custom bar-end mirrors that come out of the grips, so I can't use them for this purpose either... and I am frustrated carrying my helmet in everywhere I stop.

:mad:

·
Registered
782 Posts
On page 118 of the April issue of Rider magazine is an ad for a helmet lock that's a carabiner with a combination lock. Go to www.bestrestproducts.com and check out their Helmetlok. It's useful for more than just locking a helmet.
Until I find a better solution, I ordered one of these. Thanks Ric, you are one of the most helpful and resourceful members here and I appreciate when you pop into a thread and drop some wisdom. cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
www.lockstraps.com

I was picking up my t-shirt and entry for the Santa Toy Run sponsored by Renegade Classics and came across a single locking carabiner without a strap (they with and without a strap)in the store. I only paid $11.95 for each one (got two). Works like a champ. On the manufacturer's website at www.lockstraps.com, the exact on I got is item #801: Single Locking Combination Carabiner, they sell it from their website for $15.95 but like I said, I found it at Renegade Classics for $11.95. I latch it onto my saddlebag guards on my 2011 Cross Roads. Also sells on Amazon for 11.95.

·
Registered
112 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKkg648UiXA
The ones for the Vision will not work on a Cross Country, however, Kewlmetal KewlLock part # 478 does and the installation is the same. I have them and they work fine. I would suggest applying a little super glue on the rubber that will press against the inside of the handlebar as "a little added extra" just before tightening the screw.

steviej

·
Registered
75 Posts
You can always mount one of these on your handlebar if you really need one:

They run about twenty bucks on amazon.com as well as just about any bike accessory site. If you have the saddlebag bars, that's more mounting options.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
tweak89 I had mounted one of those on my Triumph. It has worked good for years. I mounted it to a custom windshield mount/bracket I had made. Reasonable price and work good. Plus you do not have to carry some other funky bracket to hook into your helmet like some of the fancy helmet locks that attach to the end of your handle bar.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I was picking up my t-shirt and entry for the Santa Toy Run sponsored by Renegade Classics and came across a single locking carabiner without a strap (they with and without a strap)in the store. I only paid $11.95 for each one (got two). Works like a champ. On the manufacturer's website at www.lockstraps.com, the exact on I got is item #801: Single Locking Combination Carabiner, they sell it from their website for $15.95 but like I said, I found it at Renegade Classics for $11.95. I latch it onto my saddlebag guards on my 2011 Cross Roads. Also sells on Amazon for 11.95.
Now that is an excellent and inexpensive idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's a great idea for something you already have. Now if I haven't just thrown them away.
I have a Arai Profile and the wife wears a Shoei Qwest, I have started to worry about these.
If I am wearing my 1/2 helmet I don't worry about it. They are pretty cheap to replace and in all my years of riding nobody ever wanted my nicked and banged up 1/2's.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use the standard handlebar mounted helmet lock on my 08 Vegas; I drilled holes for it through my license plate and put there. Make sure you don't cover anything with it. On my XR I have the barend/grip mounted Kewlmetal helmet lock. Both work great for me. I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I used to open the bag tie a knot in the strap and close the knot in the bag. It's tougher when you have two helmets but it can be done by placing each helmet on it's respective bag. Just remember to put a cloth between the helmet and the bag to avoid scratches.

Now I have a trunk so it is a non issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts