Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I know I will probably get flamed for this...but I have been thinking of getting a new helmet. I have a really big head and the only helmets that used to fit me was a Shoei XXL (Full Face) when I rode sports bikes. When I got my Harley I bought a Shoei Platinum Open Face but it was huge! I looked like I was about to get shot out of a cannon! Not cool at all.

I have recently been thinking of getting a Bell Rogue as I think it looks really cool. http://www.bellhelmets.com/powersports/helmets/rogue

It gives you some protection against the elements and bugs etc but if you come off it's still not going to offer too much more than an open face.

The is got me to thinking back to when I rode dirt bikes. What if you got a Shoei Motorcross helmet and too off the visor and just wore your glasses under it?
http://www.shoei-europe.com/uk/products/HORNET-DS/

What do you think? Good idea or would it look stupid?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Hi guys, I know I will probably get flamed for this...but I have been thinking of getting a new helmet. I have a really big head and the only helmets that used to fit me was a Shoei XXL (Full Face) when I rode sports bikes. When I got my Harley I bought a Shoei Platinum Open Face but it was huge! I looked like I was about to get shot out of a cannon! Not cool at all.

I have recently been thinking of getting a Bell Rogue as I think it looks really cool. http://www.bellhelmets.com/powersports/helmets/rogue

It gives you some protection against the elements and bugs etc but if you come off it's still not going to offer too much more than an open face.

The is got me to thinking back to when I rode dirt bikes. What if you got a Shoei Motorcross helmet and too off the visor and just wore your glasses under it?
http://www.shoei-europe.com/uk/products/HORNET-DS/

What do you think? Good idea or would it look stupid?
Why spend so much effort on doing what other's find "cool" or "look stupid?"

Personally, I really like those helmets for one primary reason i.e. they incorporate a visor. Why providing this for us poor sickle ridin SOBs who don't have the luxury of flipping down sun visors is overlooked by the lid makers has long baffled me. Why motocrossers need such a thing is equally confusing, but it seems like a wonderful thing for a road rider heading west at dusk.

I say go for it, maybe you'll set a new useful trend!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I wear a half helmet all of the time. I bought new ones last year and like them better than any other helmet I've ever had. I got the Bell Pit Boss. Great helmet and great adjustable fit. It has the flip down visor in front as well.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Personally, I love your idea.

I look for 2 things in helmets. Weight is important. Comfort is ,too. They combine to make a long ride fun or miserable. Fighting wind on a bike will wear you out, so be sure to consider the constant force of the wind on the visor. When you start modifying full face helmets, you are tampering with their aerodynamic design and you may find you will work your neck muscles to death. cheers

Myself, I use the Bell 500 and the Bell Pit Boss. I have 7 total but love those 2.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the rogue and its an ok helmet. It takes a while to get used to and I my opinion it catches a little more wind than the german and jockey 1/2 helmets. As far as protection, its great with the front guard on. If I had to spend another 250.00 on a helmet I wouldn't do it again. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Personally, I love your idea.

I look for 2 things in helmets. Weight is important. Comfort is ,too. They combine to make a long ride fun or miserable. Fighting wind on a bike will wear you out, so be sure to consider the constant force of the wind on the visor. When you start modifying full face helmets, you are tampering with their aerodynamic design and you may find you will work your neck muscles to death. cheers

Myself, I use the Bell 500 and the Bell Pit Boss. I have 7 total but love those 2.
I generally wear an open face helmet until it gets cold, then I switch over to the full face. In either case, I generally run with the shield open and sticking out like a visor. I find that it tends to bounce around a little less and is often a little quieter with it open. I also sit behind a large sheet of plexiglass these days so YMMV...

A lot of the half helmets have the visors and people seem to like those. The problem with those, aside from a reduced safety factor, is that there is no shield to put down when you get caught behind a truck throwing sand and gravel at you or get caught in a strong rain. Seems the lid companies will give you a visor or a shield, but rarely both on the same bucket.

·
Registered
837 Posts
My Pitt Boss and Scorpion Half helmet have a small flip down protection for the eyes, but it is mostly for sales and not for protection. I still need my goggles or glasses. Nice sales pitch though.

Full face is a lot more protection. But like everything else on bikes there is a trade off. I used nothing but full face for years until I got my first Harley and the half helmets came with the bike. The HH gives a much better "open feel" than a full face. Trailered the HD to the mountains with the HH in the cold--smelling all the fresh pine, wood fires, etc in the mountains sold me. My second trip, I rode to the mountains and chose the full face for the long commute to get there. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!! It was like riding in a car WITH NONE OF THE COMFORTS. On the interstate, I have actually found myself getting very sleepy with the FF. Talk about a scary moment.

I guess what I am getting at is like all aspects of bike riding, there is risk management. What gives the best experience is not the best protection and vice versa. The only time I use the "bubble" with the 3/4 is when there is a good chance of rain. RAIN IS NOT ONLY WET AND COLD--BUT VERY PAINFUL WITH N OPEN FACE. I will give in at that point. thumb up

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wear what you like. "Ride Your Ride" is what my philosophy is...IMO the Bell helmet you linked does look cool, I can envision a big iron spike on the top of it.

Respects,
Tank

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I have 2 helmets... One is the smallest DOT approved half helmet on the market. It is really cool and doesn't look big at all! Akoury is who makes it and cost is about $100. My fave helmet is my boss skull cap that I added a DOT sticker too and glued the proper DOT tag inside. With the little skull cap on I never have the helmet choking me at any speed or in a wind storm.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
168 Posts
I won't venture into telling you what looks cool or not, but I will say that I also have a large head, more of an oval shape, and it's been hard over the years finding a helmet that doesn't press against my forehead. My last helmet purchase was a 3/4 Shoei and it's one of the more comfortable helmets I've ever worn. I can wear it for hours at a time with no discomfort.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys, thanks for the comments. I am not trying to get fashion tips or anything or ask if I am cool or anything. If you saw the size of my head in a Shoei Platinum R you would know why I posted this. My Wife call me Planet Heed (She's Scottish) and my chin stick out like Jay Leno!

I hope this clears up that I am not just after people to tell me I look cool. Just help me look as good as possible on a bike that's as cool as fook.

That's why I thought the Shoei Hornet in Matt Black might be a somewhere in between a small open face (which I can't find anyway) or a full face Shoei and look quite good on a Highball.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Shoei GT-Air

I shopped around for over a year. Was thinking of going with a modular. I also have more of an oval shaped head. Tried on several helmets that after a short time were pushing on my forhead to much. Tried the Shoei again , they seem to fit me good. Place made me a descent deal on one so they ordered it in. Have had a couple of months. It looks cool to whom "ME", who cares what the other clowns think,ha,ha. IT's your head. Now get this my bike is all black. I moved into the city. I bought the BRIGHT YELLOW one, so maybe somemore of these cagers might just see me. I know the yellow sticks out, good. Now the helmet itself flows air good. The other feature is it has an internal flip down sun shade, sort of like a jet fighter helmet. Several other helmet companies offer this sun shade feature. The German made helmet also offers it,very nice, but tooooo much $$$$$ for me. ----Another dirt orientated helmet is no offered by AGV which I really like also, but is only offered in mattblack paint. Get the helmet you like, make sure it is comfortable to wear along time, it's your head.:crzy:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Why providing this for us poor sickle ridin SOBs who don't have the luxury of flipping down sun visors is overlooked by the lid makers has long baffled me. Why motocrossers need such a thing is equally confusing, but it seems like a wonderful thing for a road rider heading west at dusk.
Those rigid visors MIGHT have the following problems on a road bike:

- They might make a lot of noise at highway speeds

- They could really whip your head if you turn sideways at HIGH highway speed

They also won't work as a "shade" under the most common cindition that causes visibility problems for a road rider: riding straight into a rising or setting sun.

Jim G

1 - 18 of 18 Posts