Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I want to buy a new helmet (or good second-hand) to wear when riding my High-Ball here in Taiwan.

Two questions: I always used to strongly advise my motorcycling soldiers to wear full-face helmets having lost too many guys to traffic accidents, but now I am in this hot and humid weather of Taiwan I am myself currently wearing an open-face helmet. Any strong opinions? I should add that I am not a "road-racer" - I am simply enjoying riding my bike, learning about it, stopping to admire the views when I feel like it, etc, although it has to be said that other road users here can do absolutely anything, any time, often totally unbelievably or illogically!

Secondly - sizing. My head size is 59cm (23 1/8") and I have previously warn size L, although here in Asia the sizes aren't quite so clear! But when I checked on the Vic website it seems to suggest I should have XL. Are Vic sizes typically one up from normal?

......... and if anyone has a good/new helmet and could be prepared to ship to TW please get in touch.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
For your first question I look at your picture and think don't worry about a full face helmet. :grin

For your second question, there's a big difference in sizes and shapes of helmets even within the same manufacturer. Different models are made to different shapes so they get more customers. I have an Arai but not all the models fit and some even the same size were impossible to get on.

Short answer is you are going to have to try a bunch on and leave them on for awhile. Settling for something that seems to feel fine trying it on may not be so comfortable after an hour. Hit one of the larger shops that carry helmets and they should have someone who can get you going in the right direction.

PS Seriously though, full face, 3/4, etc is a personal choice. I'd be using a full face on the highway and a 3/4 or half on the low speed sightseeing trips.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Try a modular helmet. At least at stops you can open it and get lots of air.
I wear All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT - gloves, jacket, boots, full face helmet, kevlar jeans) and on the hot days I am soaking wet. But I would rather sweat than bleed.

As a wise man once said - you don't need to wear all the gear all the time... you only need to wear them when you are in an accident.

And as @53canuck says: you have to go and try them on. It's the only way you will get one that properly fits you.

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
I want to buy a new helmet (or good second-hand) to wear when riding my High-Ball here in Taiwan.
Buying a used helmet is.....nasty. Buy new then you know it's history (dropped) and it won't have someone else's sweat, coughs and sneezes in it.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Yes, I have three helmets, all supposedly the same size, but all fit my face quite differently. I don't actually think any of them are too big/too small, just the design of the padding is different and what seemed comfortable and "right" enough when I tried them on in the shops feels very different after an hour or so on the bike. They are all "ok" but just started looking at the Vic branded helmets and wondered whether to go for one of them, although maybe I would be paying over the odds just for the badge!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Personally I would never buy a used helmet. I want to know its history.

As for the Vic helmets I just bought one and found it to fit fine. I usually wear a medium and the Vic medium fits great. It also has a adjustable knob in the back that allows you to dial it in. Overall I've been very happy with it. I bought the Shortie helmet and I'm thinking about getting the 3/4 because of its price.

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
First time in my life I have a open helmet, and I like it, fits perfectly.... Delivery to your door...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

Reactions: jkcerda and Llama

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VicVisionBulldog - second-hand helmets, yes I hear you. I guess I only said that because I cannot get the great discounts you guys can currently get from Victory over there, but you are completely correct of course.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Vic helmets do fit on the small side. I normally wear a medium in a Bell, large in most others but an XL in Vic/Indian helmets. I didn't believe it myself until I went to the dealership to try one on before doing the mail order thing.
Cheers, Tim

Reactions: Llama

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Taiwanese stuff is cheap everywhere except Taiwan?
whats the go with that?
Try helmets on for sure.
Hows that saying go.....if you got a ten dollar head then buy a ten dollar helmet.

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
Hows that saying go.....if you got a ten dollar head then buy a ten dollar helmet.
You made that up, but I like the saying, ha ha ha

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
61 Posts
First time in my life I have a open helmet, and I like it, fits perfectly.... Delivery to your door...

Andre using TaPaTaLk
how would it look w/o the Harley emblem?

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
how would it look w/o the Harley emblem?
I don't know, but it doesn't say "Harley"... I thought about removing that tag, but what is the point, it is a good & cheap helmet... Perfect fit...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

Reactions: Llama

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't know, but it doesn't say "Harley"... I thought about removing that tag, but what is the point, it is a good & cheap helmet... Perfect fit...

Andre using TaPaTaLk
thanks, thought it did say Harley

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Motorbikerx, I was referring to Victory branded helmets, and in fact any branded items. Yes I can buy local helmets cheaply.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
You made that up, but I like the saying, ha ha ha

Andre using TaPaTaLk
No mate .I didn't make it up.
Must be an Aussie saying.
Goes way back.
I got a mate here who sells helmets so I usually do a trade when I need one, like when I jumped from the back of another mates CanAm Spyder when he crashed.
My head hit the concrete pathway , had obvious scrape mark so i went and seen him and got a new one.
He made sure I got one that fitted good.
Seems we tend to go for comfort straight off when we should get em just that bit tighter cos they break in.

When our Muscle Car Club hire out the dragstrip car drivers must have an approved Australian standards helmet.
I got us a deal where our club members got a discount buying off him.
Same as how I got Victory Forum members a discount when purchasing Burleigh Bars.
Gotta look after yr mates.

Reactions: Llama and BP6666VR

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Motorbikerx, I was referring to Victory branded helmets, and in fact any branded items. Yes I can buy local helmets cheaply.
I don't think there is anything special about victory branded helmets safety wise. If you are looking for helmets that offer superior protection snell approval is the way to go. They don't approve 1/2 helmets because they have in tests and real life moved on the head or off of the head on the first impact. Some 3/4 helmets do carry a snell rating though.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Free Helmet

got a nice clean white helmet with pull down sun visor that will fit you there Llama. FREE .. how much do you think it would cost to ship it to you ? If I knew how to post a picture of helmet I would.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Olddad64, that's so kind of you - thanks so much. I have no idea how much shipping might be so I think the way to go is for me to visit a helmet shop that's been recommended to me. It's in a city about 30-40 mins away, so not bad.

Today I had a decent ride which included some freeway speed stretches and sure enough in the wind my current (new) helmet had some movement which was really quite off-putting and not a great sign! I will be away for a couple of weeks but when I get back I will look at getting a new helmet as a matter of priority. In the meantime I might have to wear my old helmet again - it might not look so great, but maybe safer than this new one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts