Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
hi there guys :) looking to pick up a helmet too helmet communication so my wife does not have to yell at me all the time, been looking in the net for the best one for the $ so far the one i found that i think is best for me is the scala rider teampro, its wireless blue tooth, that mounts on the helmet, so we can talk and answer the dam phone when it rings, it is water proof and dust proof, it goes for about 200, please if you have one let me know if it works well or is crap, and also if you have something different that may work better for the $ PLEASE LET ME KNOW :confused:

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Scala and Sena are both good but I suggest going to www.webbikeworld.com and reading their reviews and comparisons. I did this and ended up buying a Sena set that works great, is very easy to use and was priced well (on ebay).

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Putting my 2 cents worth in and coming off grandfatherly; why does anyone need to talk on the phone while riding a motorcycle? Reaction and recovery times are reduced to the same as if you blow a .08 BAC. Combine that with having to use 3 to 4 times the cognitive brain power one employs when operating a car and you have a recipe for disaster. Unless you receive calls that require your advice for saving the globe, that call can wait until you are off the bike. All cell phones will take a message. Maybe I take driving and riding way too seriously and should give in to doing things other than concentrating on operating the vehicle, like so many others. Until then, my phone remains in the side case. =(

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Don't tell my wife but I leave mine off until she taps my shoulder and then I pretend to turn it up. Honestly I bought the set because my wife was worried about someone calling. Out of about 10000 miles of her riding on the back she got one call that was "important". She has used it to call many times (she's a phone junky) and it works very well; so far nobody on the other end could tell she was on the back of a bike going down the hwy.

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Don't tell my wife but I leave mine off until she taps my shoulder and then I pretend to turn it up. Honestly I bought the set because my wife was worried about someone calling. Out of about 10000 miles of her riding on the back she got one call that was "important". She has used it to call many times (she's a phone junky) and it works very well; so far nobody on the other end could tell she was on the back of a bike going down the hwy.
"Phone Junky" eh? That's like Pavlov's dogs. :ltr:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Another vote for Sena. I just added their headset and Bluetooth hub to my bike. Its a little bulky but easy to operate even with winter gloves on. Revzilla has a single headset for $186 and dual for $339.

There is also an around the neck headset if all you wear is a half helmet or no helmet at all for $219. Personally I'm not crazy about covering both ears though.

You may want to wait for a little bit though. I just went to Revzilla's site today and the new Bluetooth Ver 3.0 are being shown as coming soon. The single is listed at $109 and the dual at $211. The new headset is Bluetooth version 3.0 instead of version 2.0. But has shorter range (437 verse 980 yards) and battery life (8 verse 12 hours of talk time).

The hub is really nice if you want to connect other things, like a CB or FRS/GMRS radios, or anything else that isn't Bluetooth enabled but has an audio output on it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Putting my 2 cents worth in and coming off grandfatherly; why does anyone need to talk on the phone while riding a motorcycle? Reaction and recovery times are reduced to the same as if you blow a .08 BAC. Combine that with having to use 3 to 4 times the cognitive brain power one employs when operating a car and you have a recipe for disaster. Unless you receive calls that require your advice for saving the globe, that call can wait until you are off the bike. All cell phones will take a message. Maybe I take driving and riding way too seriously and should give in to doing things other than concentrating on operating the vehicle, like so many others. Until then, my phone remains in the side case. =(
Personally I mainly got it so I could easily add a CB for when I go on group rides. Having the Road Captain and Tail Gunner being able to talk to each other really helps, especially if they are too far apart to see hand signals.

As for answering the phone, I agree with you too a point but it does make it nice if someone has to get a hold of you...even if it isn't as important as saving the globe :p Not only that but you can either ignore the call or hit the cancel button if you don't want to answer ;)

Oh BTW, just because you have the headset for bike to bike communication doesn't mean you have to have your phone connected to it. Either don't pair your phone to the headset or turn off the phone and/or the phone's Bluetooth and you won't be bothered at all.

·
Registered
520 Posts
:I agree::I agree::I agree::I agree::I agree:
Actually I keep my phone in my pocket or in a belt holster. I know of a guy thrown from his bike and badly injured In a remote area and that phone being on his person saved his life.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Actually I keep my phone in my pocket or in a belt holster. I know of a guy thrown from his bike and badly injured In a remote area and that phone being on his person saved his life.
I always ride with the phone on my body (in a zipped pocket). I do not keep it in the saddle bag in case I end up separated from my saddle bags. It's great to have in case of emergency.

However, as some of the others mentioned, talking on the phone while riding is not a good idea, at least not in my book. As far as helmet-to-helmet communication, in my opinion, a quiet passenger is worth carrying around. If you want to chat with the wife, pull over at a scenic spot or your favorite coffee house, talk 'till your jaw (or ear) hurts, and then enjoy a quiet ride. :cool:

Then the charging of those wireless headsets. They drain quickly, take a long time to charge... ughhh!!! Not for me. Give me my bike and my quiet (while riding) wife, and I am nothing but smiles. :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i mislead you all, i myself do not like phones at all, but the wife must i tell you :ltr: i do carry one just incase but no one ever calls me but my wife anyway, thanks to all and ammo i will check out sena and see what they got off to the gazebo for a beercheers

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
:I agree::I agree::I agree::I agree::I agree:
Great idea Bikendad, from now on, my phone will be in a jacket pocket. Having been a touring bike rider for about 200,00 miles, I gotta say that being able to communicate with the passenger is a huge safety factor. She's an additional pair of eyes and a map / route instruction reader. We don't engage in frivolous babble, as she knows that I take my job at the bars very seriously. Being able to talk bike to bike is equally important to me. It's kinda like getting your first car with power windows - you ain't going back to hand cranks. cheers

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Wind noise is pretty easy to avoid if you wear a full helmet with the shield down but if you use half or 3/4 helmets you may need a long shield (chin level) to block all the wind. I've heard that some people also have successfully eliminated the noise using a non-latex glove. The cut a finger off the glove and put it over the foam on the boom mic.

As far as sound goes it really depends on how close you can get the speakers t your ears without turning them into earmuffs. My speakers are about 3/8" away from my ears and I can't turn the volume up all the way without hurting my ears.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I use mine with a modular helmet. My wife has more trouble hearing me with the visor down than with it up. She says I sound muffeled with it down. I've also used it at highway speed with the entire chin guard up.

The Sena mic has a noise canceling feature with a triangle on it that you are suppose to face so it is away from your mouth. I haven't added lowers to my XR yet and expect that it will work better once I do.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Schlep

I have the Sena SMH10 which I've been using with a mate, bike to bike, for about a year now and it is great. Range is overstated as we only get 500 metres, line of sight. But this is more than good enough for our needs. Standby time is exceptional and clarity and ease of use is excellent.

As stated above look at the comparision and review at WebBikeWorld.com and other comparision reviews before you buy.

Whatever you decide I hope you are happy with it.

Cheers and good luck

Kym
Sydney-AUSTRALIA

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've been curious about these for a while. I would like to pair this to my phone, not for phone calls, but to be able to use the GPS app or to listen to music on my phone. Does anyone have any experience using a GPS app on their phone paired to one of these units?

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've been curious about these for a while. I would like to pair this to my phone, not for phone calls, but to be able to use the GPS app or to listen to music on my phone. Does anyone have any experience using a GPS app on their phone paired to one of these units?
One of my co workers has the Scala head sets for him and his wife. He has his phone paired to the GPS for the music player. Both riders hear the music and can talk to each other. When the GPS gives directions, it overrides the music. He says it works great and I never hear him talking bad about it so I guess it does.

·
Registered
54 Posts
looking to pick up a helmet too helmet communication so my wife does not have to yell at me all the time

sorry, but this won't help, mine wife still yells at me. :ltr::ltr::ltr:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts