Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am riding my XC to the four corners in August (only time I had available). I want to wear a full face partially to keep the sun off my face. I have a shoei qwest but don't get enough air flow to keep my head cool. Shoei said the problem is the helmet is designed to be in the wind which will force air into the front vent and also create back pressure to pull air out the back vents. I am using a cee baily 17 shield so the air flow is cut down. Any recommendations on a full face that would give me good ventilation?

This will be my first long trip on a bike. Trying to get prepared
Best
John

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Can't recommend and full face helmet for high heat but I can tell you what workedfor me in 115 heat this past weekend when I rode out to San Diego and back.

I found the GMAX half helmet with the drop down dark tinted visor and a Schampa face mast covering my neck as well did the trick. I had a poly balaclava with me that I tried for a while but it seemed to transfer the heat right to my skin. It protected me from the wind and sun but felt too hot to wear comfortably. I think it will work great for cold weather though. The face masks that have Velcro and fasten together behind the head/neck worked very well.

I also have a GMAX full modular helmet with lots of vents and same drop down tinted visor behind a clear full visor that might work but I save that one for cold and wet weather riding. Something we don't get much of where I live.

·
Registered
784 Posts
From the pictures, the Quest looks to be deigned for a tour bike. I can't comment further on it, other than they are correct. When things are ginning correctly it will create a venturie effect and move air.

Here is the kicker. Sounds like you are pushing a barn door down the road. It is hard to say since we can't see you. Hot weather takes some special considerations to keep you safe, fresh and even alive.
I suggest you read and take heart to this, http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IronButt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf
Some if it may sound insane to you, but it works and is comfortable. You need to start testing it now, and figure out the small things that will make it work best for you. 115 degrees in the middle of the desert isn't the place to realize you made a poor equipment choice. Check out jackets to make sure you have good sleeve cuff openings, good gloves, good boots, and yes solid leather is better than the new "vented" stuff in extremes.

Enjoy the trip, stay away from alcohol, drink lots of water, and eat balanced meals. Take your time and if you feel anything your of the ordinary, stop. It any save you a day or two of road time and even your life.

Sorry for the book. Cheers

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi and thanks for the link. I just read the article and that was a lot of great info. So the take away is reduce wind and wear wicking udergarments that I can load with water. I have a mesh jacket that has a windproof liner. I think that will work to protect my upper body from too much wind and allow me to keep my undershirt wet. I don't have any pants so I need to make a purchase. I don't want to buy leather so any recommendations? Did you also buy a helmet wicking liner? If so where?
Thanks
John

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi and thanks for the link. I just read the article and that was a lot of great info. So the take away is reduce wind and wear wicking udergarments that I can load with water. I have a mesh jacket that has a windproof liner. I think that will work to protect my upper body from too much wind and allow me to keep my undershirt wet. I don't have any pants so I need to make a purchase. I don't want to buy leather so any recommendations? Did you also buy a helmet wicking liner? If so where?
Thanks
John
I just got home from the Yellowstone area and riding in 100° + temps. I read the Iron butt article and followed it pretty close except for the helmet skull cap. I have used them before and they do seem to work pretty good. I wore Olympia Moab Mesh jacket with Olympia mesh pants and Under Armour shorts with a wicking style tee shirt and a cooling vest over the shirt. Worked pretty good keeping me cool. I have a Shoei Neo Tech helmet. With the cooling vest keeping my core temp down, my head didn't sweat at all. In the west you need to recharge the cooling vest about every 1 1/2 hours. Cooling vests are a cheap investment for riding in hot weather.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you have any problem with the amount of air hitting your lower body in mesh causing it to heat up as the article suggested?

Recommendation on a cooling vest brand and place to get one?
Thanks
John

·
Registered
257 Posts
Did you have any problem with the amount of air hitting your lower body in mesh causing it to heat up as the article suggested?

Recommendation on a cooling vest brand and place to get one?
Thanks
John
On a Vision, air movement can be limited to near nothing by moving the air deflectors to blow at the engine vs. your legs. No matter what you wear for pants you will have some airflow no matter what. My wife rides a CR with mesh pants and she was very comfortable to.

This is the brand of cooling vest I have. http://wingstuff.com/products/3415-ride-cooler-hyperkewl-soakable-cool-vest?from_search=1

I keep it in a plastic storage bag and add water when I need it. Just hang it up at the end of your ride and let it dry before you store it again. Gets a bit stinky if you store it wet.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
How about a modular helmet?

Yes. That's the exact same one I have except mine's black. You can see it has all kinds of vents. It also has a built-in battery-powered LED light that will blink or stay constantly on or off depending on how you want it. That feature would be good in fog or rain I think.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I just got home from the Yellowstone area and riding in 100° + temps. I read the Iron butt article and followed it pretty close except for the helmet skull cap. .......and Under Armour shorts......
Just wanted to comment on these two items... I think alot of folks give credit to a good skull cap (I use both a cloth and an UnderArmor and like both) but I kid you not, the UnderArmor shorts are no joke! I was kidding the wife a few months ago thats what I wanted for my birthday not thinking she would take me serious... Yup, she did. Got me two pair.

I did a SS1000 in May on a 04TC with them as well as some distance riding in the heat afterwards not getting out of the saddle for very long at all. What a differnce, the tail skid was in good shape after both trips. For the legs I used good poly/cotton pants with no thick seam in the crack and chaps. Worked well for me. Good luck, safe ridin and grab some pics at the 4corners!thumb up

·
Registered
336 Posts
Lostintexas gave some great advice. There is distance riding and there is riding in hot weather. Distance riding in hot weather is a whole different animal.

Back in my silly days of doing SS1000 and 1500 rides on multiple bikes (Harley FLHTC, Buell M2, Kawaski ZZR1200, Kawaski ZX14), I learned to live by the Ironbutt tips and tricks. The only thing I didn't stick to was sending in my paperwork for the official recognition. I just came across one I did on the Buell back in 2000 that was all ready to be mailed out but I never did.

I always found top end Shoeis to fit my head the best and offer good venting. But I always carried some sort of useless beanie helmet with me too just to give myself a bit of a break. Dump some water on your helmet liner and you will be surprised at how well the vents work....at least until the water dries.

I think you will find that the vents that are designed to work on an open bike just might not do the trick on your faired bike.

Whatever you do, heed the advice given about breaking in your gear well before the ride. 300 miles into the ride is not the time to find out that the bicycle shorts you thought were a good idea werent.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Ok great advice. Was going to buy some Revit Airwave mesh pants that offer great airflow. Would you recommend against this type pants?
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-airwave-pants

John
IMHO, and a few others, try to find pants with at least 1000D panels. These use about the same strength as a 'Stitch, so it is kind of hard to argue but you asked. LOL Remember, you won't be able to wear shorts under these very well because of the engine heat. It will roast your hams. I don't know if you were planning that, but just thought you might be interested.

As for the kind comments about the IBA article, thank you. I only passed on something that others before me had figured out. I hope it helps someone who may not have known it existed.

Cheers

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Holy Toledo! Yes I was planing on wearing under armor only under the mesh. Wow I am glad you pointed that out because they sell it to be worn with shorts underneath. If that is the case I will switch back to jeans
Thanks
John

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Anyone here ride with Diamond Gusset jeans? If so, you're experience with their comfort?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts