Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how to say it, so I'll start with my set up and problems. Please let me know what it is. If it's covered by warranty. If not the general cost of having a local shop fix.

"Vicky" my baby!
2013 XCT
Lloydz high air flow filter.
Ness Big Honkers
PVC
25K miles.
1 year old Aug. 8th 2014

About a month ago maybe a little longer. I started noticing her slipping gears. This then progress to seemly losing her get up and go a highway speeds. Last weekend on a group ride to Atlantic city she had major problems keeping up even with much smaller 900's and the likes. This lost of power has gotten worse. As of today riding into work a 35 miles commute all highway. She completely lost power literally in any gear. She was barely able to maintain 40-50 miles an hour. I ended up putting my flashers on and riding the slow lane or shoulder till I could get off the highway. I barely made into work with her and praying she gets me home so I can get her the help she needs. Please help!

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Not sure how to say it, so I'll start with my set up and problems. Please let me know what it is. If it's covered by warranty. If not the general cost of having a local shop fix.

"Vicky" my baby!
2013 XCT
Lloydz high air flow filter.
Ness Big Honkers
PVC
25K miles.
1 year old Aug. 8th 2014

About a month ago maybe a little longer. I started noticing her slipping gears. This then progress to seemly losing her get up and go a highway speeds. Last weekend on a group ride to Atlantic city she had major problems keeping up even with much smaller 900's and the likes. This lost of power has gotten worse. As of today riding into work a 35 miles commute all highway. She completely lost power literally in any gear. She was barely able to maintain 40-50 miles an hour. I ended up putting my flashers on and riding the slow lane or shoulder till I could get off the highway. I barely made into work with her and praying she gets me home so I can get her the help she needs. Please help!
Slipping gears you say???? Clarify please
At first thought you were describing a slipping clutch but further in your post I get the impression your seriously lacking power.
25k well yr fuel filters due to be changed, I know cos I've just done mine tonight. And it was quite dirty....still flowing fuel ok but.
Itll be intetesting to see how others interpret your problem

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Is the check engine light on ? This could be as simple as a clogged air filter or fuel filter as MBX mentioned .... Is it bucking or missing at all ?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Also , make sure your battery terminals are TIGHT and CLEAN !

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me step back a minute. The engine is running strong. It's just not transferring that power to for lack of better way of saying it to the wheel. When I referred to the slipping of gear early on. I meant there were times when I was in local non highway traffic 1 to 2 to 3 gear I've had her slip into neutral before going to 2 completely.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
May sound crazy but check your battery voltage. A bad battery could make a perfectly good machine perform this way.

Next, you could definitely be having a fuel flow problem as mentioned... anything from fuel filters to clogged injectors. Good luck!

It's just not transferring that power to for lack of better way of saying it to the wheel.
Check torque on main drive to belt.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
So is the engine running normally and not transferring power, or does the motor seem like it has lost power?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Sounds to me like you clutch is smoked ... It is probably slipping giving you the feeling of it being in neutral , because it is not holding tight and under a load it is slipping , the engine runs strong but you aren't going anywhere ...

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Yes the engine is running strong as heck. I'm just not going anywhere.
Your clutch is done . If it implodes it will send shrapnel through your gear box .... Get it fixed before you create more problems by riding it . Good luck , keep us informed .

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is something like the clutch covered under warranty. I can't do any repairs like this my self. So all work would be done by my local shop. Whats something like this cost to fix. Just ball parks here. I location and shops vary.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I think the clutch is a wear item like brakes and your belt , but you may want to look into a Barnett clutch or such as a replacement . Would probably grab much better and last a lot longer ... Check with your dealer or try Lloydz .... I do not believe it would be warranted unless you could prove it was defective to begin with .....

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
She gets me home. Next stop is my local shop.
Good idea..... 25000 miles hey
Have you been maintaining your clutch cable freeplay?

·
Registered
168 Posts
First make sure the clutch cable is adjusted. It should have some slack at the lever. Some free play before it pulls the cable. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Maybe vic will work with you on getting a replacement, prolly out of adjustment when new, if you had the 500 mile check up done, stuff like that should have been checked, of course they have no idea how you operated the clutch....:)

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
She gets me home. Next stop is my local shop.
You are not responding to those who have asked if you have been adjusting the clutch cable. Have you? Feel the cable down where it connects to the lever at the primary case, does it have some slack? If not, try adjusting it per the manual--its easy. That may be all you need to do. If you haven't been adjusting your clutch, have you been also ignoring the air in your tires and the oil?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
You are not responding to those who have asked if you have been adjusting the clutch cable. Have you? Feel the cable down where it connects to the lever at the primary case, does it have some slack? If not, try adjusting it per the manual--its easy. That may be all you need to do. If you haven't been adjusting your clutch, have you been also ignoring the air in your tires and the oil?
Easy Ric , easy ...:ltr:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts