Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning Gents and ladies I have a 2011 Cross Country I rip on the bike. when I got it, it only had 2000 miles. My question to you is when then engine is warm (hot) and I romp on it in second gear sometimes it will Rev quick for a split second and go into second. It like the gears are not going into second. I was racing it and it went to neutral in fifth. This also happens at low speeds in second gear the revs don’t jump just a split second jump then a audible click. Then everything is fine. No problem down shifting and it only happens when the engine is warm and only happens in second gear. Sometimes when I shift to second it will go to neutral. Thangs fellas and Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
I can't see it going from 5th to neutral. As for as the second gear issue you don't have in gear good. The gear indicator may say you do, but you don't. The gear indicator may be of a tad and is not unusual. When I first got my 2011 XC it would say I was in neutral but I was still in gear. Didn't happen all the time but it did. After I road it for a while it started working correctly. You my need to look at the way you shift and learn the Victory transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't see it going from 5th to neutral. As for as the second gear issue you don't have in gear good. The gear indicator may say you do, but you don't. The gear indicator may be of a tad and is not unusual. When I first got my 2011 XC it would say I was in neutral but I was still in gear. Didn't happen all the time but it did. After I road it for a while it started working correctly. You my need to look at the way you shift and learn the Victory transmission.
Thanks, even when I make sure that it’s in second it still does it. But I don’t know the victory trans.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
The 2011 Cross Country had several changes on it. It's the second year they were in production. One was the easy neutral finder. I'm not sure how they accomplished this. But going into second gear you need to smack it in there. or you will hit neutral instead. It can really screw you up in a race and I just thought I'd let you know that.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Is there any chance that the clutch is slipping rather than the transmission not being in gear?

Reactions: steele11b

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Is there any chance that the clutch is slipping rather than the transmission not being in gear?
That's what I was wondering, too. Have you checked the adjustment of your clutch cable? When mine was off a few months ago (too tight, due to the ez-pull clutch arm I had on it at the time), I'd notice that i'd lose power when accelerating hard in fifth, going up a hill. I also noticed that I'd have a much harder time finding second when accelerating hard off a light, and I'd often end up in neutral with the revs way high.

I removed the ez-pull arm, and readjusted the clutch cable to specs, and the issue went away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No it’s not a slipping issue, I thought maybe it was the clutch but it is adjusted properly and it doesn’t do it in any other gear. Only second. Iv had a bike that The clutch slipped on I ride it up in the hills no issues only second gear sometimes. Iv looked online and I think it might a shifting Fork? Or somthing ? Just seeing if anyone has a fix or know what is going on?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Good morning Gents and ladies I have a 2011 Cross Country I rip on the bike. when I got it, it only had 2000 miles. My question to you is when then engine is warm (hot) and I romp on it in second gear sometimes it will Rev quick for a split second and go into second. It like the gears are not going into second. I was racing it and it went to neutral in fifth. This also happens at low speeds in second gear the revs don’t jump just a split second jump then a audible click. Then everything is fine. No problem down shifting and it only happens when the engine is warm and only happens in second gear. Sometimes when I shift to second it will go to neutral. Thangs fellas and Happy Thanksgiving.
Lets try one symptom,
Are you attempting to shift into second when stopped, to take off in second from the line, or barely moving and trying to hit second, the bike instead goes to neutral?
It’s supposed to. It’s a bazaar Vic feature, some engineer thought it was useful. Not kidding.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I think heel shifters are a very good think on Vic's. It allows for a solid shift up. Second gear is the hardest one on my XC.

The 04 KP shifts like a dream comparatively but it has the 5 speed.
Bob I think he might be engaging the NSA (Neutral Selection Assist) feature in the trans.. Later six speed.
Its covered in chapter 10.11 of the manual.
It prevents shifting past neutral when bike is stopped or rolling slowly.
It can be a real pain. Had to adjust my riding style when I first got my xc
myself. If you want to do second gear starts you have to stop in second an keep the clutch in.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
Bob I think he might be engaging the NSA (Neutral Selection Assist) feature in the trans.. Later six speed.
Its covered in chapter 10.11 of the manual.
It prevents shifting past neutral when bike is stopped or rolling slowly.
It can be a real pain. Had to adjust my riding style when I first got my xc
myself. If you want to do second gear starts you have to stop in second an keep the clutch in.
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to start in 2nd?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
On some bikes depending on how much mass the crank, and drivetrain, and how much torque is available, and where, you get faster times by starting in second and not using 6th.
If you have enough motor, the cam is right, clutch,etc.

Only shifting 3 times can be quite a bit faster than shifting 4.
And you don’t know how it will work out on a given bike till you try running that way to see if it works or not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts