Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo in typical me fashion, I had a pretty major brain fart today. I looked down and there was part of a leaf on my pipes, so me not wanting anything touching my pipes I went to brush it off.... With my glove on... while they were hot...

So now instead of having a leaf just sitting on my pipes not bothering anybody I have a big glob of rubber that melted off my glove to the pipe.

:( I let it cool off once I got home and try to lightly buff it out with jsut a rag and some water. Nothing. So before I went and put anything else on them I wanted to ask around before I went to bed for the night, Does anyone have a remedy to get miscellaneous junk off of chrome pipes without scratching them or ruining the chrome?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sniff around Google for: Easy Off (Cold) Oven Cleaner. Usually does the trick, just be careful what you use to rub at it with because you don't want to scuff up the chrome.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Sniff around Google for: Easy Off (Cold) Oven Cleaner. Usually does the trick, just be careful what you use to rub at it with because you don't want to scuff up the chrome.
double-O steel wool and a good quality chrome polish will work.

Before that though, try using some lacquer thinner to "melt" the rubber down.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Check the local auto parts store for Goo Gone or a similar product. No matter what you use, let the product do the work. It may take repeated applications. Keep rubbing to a minimum to avoid scratching the chrome.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Can of air (for cleaning keyboards etc)
Turn it upside down and spray it so the extreme cold will quickly freeze the rubber and chip or pick it off with a fingernail quickly.

Works for gum in carpet too. (recommended from a buddy that owns his a carpet cleaning business.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Ive done the steel wool before without problem, use chrome polish or wd-40 or something with it though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
189 Posts
Goo-gone or WD-40 should do the trick.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Easy off works for me everytime.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Steel Wool will scratch chrome, I've used 000 before and it will scratch also. Do what Smoke said!
and I've used OO on chrome for well over 30 years and not once have I scratched the chrome so, I guess it's a matter of who's doing it eh? LOL

That said tho, smoke does have a good idea which I've never tried.

·
Registered
10 Posts
use copper penny

Try a copper penny to scrape it off. Anything older than 1982 is mostly copper. I know it sounds weird, but copper is softer than chrome, so it won't scratch the chrome finish.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Try a copper penny to scrape it off. Anything older than 1982 is mostly copper. I know it sounds weird, but copper is softer than chrome, so it won't scratch the chrome finish.
good thing he's not in Canada ... no more pennies here LOL

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have used the edge of a credit card or hotel room key to scrape stuff of my melted plastic off my pipes, along with using Goof Off or WD40 to loosen it up a bit. That process has never left a mark, but it does take some time and patience.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've used the frozen air trick when I wiped the bike with a micro fiber towel a little too soon.
The melted towel was pretty heavy over a 3" or so area, sprayed quickly 2 or 3 times and most melted towel chipped off with my fingernail. A second shot got the rest and a quick chrome polish of the area done....

before I learned this the easy-off method saved me once before.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
any way to get leg-skin off in one piece so it can be re-attached? :ltr:

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Get a bunch of gloves, run the bike till hot and apply them evenly over entire pipe, matching the original glove mark, will leave a cool 'zombie appocolypse' look....

Or... what they said above.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Let the pipe heat up and use a wood shim to scrape it off. No marks afterward. You can buy a pack of shims for $2.50 at Lowes or Home Depot.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Depends on the quality of chrome.

The Victory Swept pipes on my Hammer always had part of my pant leg on them.

I took a brand new razor blade and leaned it at about a 70 degree angle. Slowly and lightly work away at it. Buff to finish. It never scratched. Ever. I did it about 100x

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 31 Posts