Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has already been posted somewhere, I couldn't find it by searching so I figured I would post it.

I have 2007 Vegas 8 Ball.

Questions First. Story Second.

1. How do you get all 4 brushes pushed back in order to put this back together?

2. Are my brushes ruined now that I have nicked them up with a screwdriver?

Story:
This morning I was going on a ride and it had a little trouble engaging the starter, but it started. After idling for a minute or so, I accidentally killed it. When I went to start it back up - the starter just spun. It wasn't engaging anything!

I thought it was the starter. I have 0 experience with motorcycle starters so I didn't realize it doesn't kick out like an automotive starter does.

So I took it apart. Nothing was wrong. But now I cannot figure out how to get this put back together! The 4 brushes that are being pushed out with springs are where I am hung up.

This hasn't been a good day. Hopefully someone can offer some good advice on this.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Na you haven't ruined the brushes. However it might look different to you up close than it does to me on a laptop. I would clean the commutator with a scotch bright pad and degrease it with contact cleaner being sure the residue washed down the shaft not into the windings. Then once reassembled I would turn the motor over by had till the roughness disappeared . Or spin it with a drill at low speed. Once it felt smooth I would reinstall it and charge the battery and run it over several times with no plugs in it. Don't let it get warm just a few simulated starts then let it cool completely, put a full charge on the battery and use it.

As for reassembly I haven't done this particular DC motor but have done others and they are all pretty much the same.
If you can remove the armature from the other endbell it is much easier of course. Gives you room to operate and is less frustrating without the fields housing blocking your view.

You might be able to bend up clips from 1/16 welding rod that catch the face of the brush and the outside of the housing, Like this -> l______l. That is if the brushes are worn enough to push back in their slots far enough so there is room for the clips with the commutator in place. Then remove the clips after the armature is partially in and a portion of the commutator blocks the brushes.

As it says in the Hitchhikers guide to the universe. Don't panic.
They built it once, you can get it back together again. It is important that you don't change the arc on the brush face. It is all about getting as much contact area between the brush and the commutator bars as possible.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Get new brushes those are worn down, You'll find that new ones will be longer and will slide back in and stay put/tight on the Commentator..

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
Yes mate carbon brushes looks fine, just try to put it back together like JOE mentioned above, or just bring the starter to a rewinding shop, they'll help you out mate ? Maybe even for free ? Coz only Assembly ?

·
Registered
144 Posts
What I did....

I put the Brushes one at a time and put the armature in place (so you have the End plate and brushes and the Armature sticking up).
Hold all this securely, then Slide the housing with the Stator windings over the Armature. Hold tightly because the magnetic properties will pull it. after you get this, put the other end plate on.
It is a "real" fun job...
But this was the only way that I could figure out how to hold the brushes out to slip in the armature. by doing the brushes vs. armature assembled first.
Good luck and resist the temptation to hit something.
It took me a few times to finally get it.
thumb up

·
13,048 Posts
the end of the armature has grooves in it. Clean the grooves with a small pick

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
the end of the armature has grooves in it. Clean the grooves with a small pick
We used to use a broken hack saw blade on the generators for the pre-70 big twin HD's. It was just the right width and the little teeth did an excellent job of clearing any buildup. Finish up with Contact Cleaner and re-assemble.

With 4 brushes like this one has; it's good to find another person to help hold the brushes back while sliding the brush plate back on.

Sure glad we don't have to deal with generators any longer. They and the regulators could be a real pain in the butt. One could make the other go bad and if they weren't replaced as a set the bad, say, electronic regulator could make the new generator go bad or visa versa. I learned this by experience and a painful feeling in my wallet.

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
1. How do you get all 4 brushes pushed back in order to put this back together?

2. Are my brushes ruined now that I have nicked them up with a screwdriver?
Did you fix it Lamby44pod ???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes!

Sorry - I forgot to post after I fixed it.

It took 4 hands. So I had a friend help me and we managed to pull those 4 brushes back and get it put back together.

I took some sand paper and cleaned up the brushes first and then put it back together.

I got the correct parts ordered - the starter clutch and gaskets.

The starter clutch was destroyed! Replaced that and it all works perfect now!

If you have any questions about it, let me know!

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
Yes!

It took 4 hands. So I had a friend help me

If you have any questions about it, let me know!
See i keep on telling my wife the same, as always she refuses to listen to great ideas ... I will show your post and try again convincing her she need to bring a friend to help me ????

±+++++++++
Good on ya mate all went well with the assembly

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I replaced the brushes in my starter last year by myself. I recall getting a little frustrated, but I don't recall needing four hands. Wish I could remember what I did.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts