Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok after lots and lots of reaserching,reading,watchin and dealership stops....ive decided to go with victory.....
but im hung up on either the hammer 8-ball i love the way it feels and looks and love the fat tire(im aware of the negatives of the big tire)

or....

the vegas 8ball ....no fat tire but it has the 6spd tranny !!!!!

i coming out of owning 2 crotch rockets and still want a unique fun bike but is the 6spd that much better then the 5spd? i like crusing but also like drag racing.... is the 5spd really that bad at 70-80 mph that i should give up the looks i really want...??? tell me your pros and cons and what you have......my local dealership has a hammer 8-ball 2010 leftover for the same price as a 2011 vegas 8-ball and im torn......please help:confused:cheers thank you

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Here is my thinking on 5sp vs 6sp. If you plan on doing a lot of highway driving and long trips then go with a 6sp. If you are more or less around town then the 5sp will do you fine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I say go Hammer (go big or go home). Coming from a crotch rocket you will like the straight up ride, the big back tire, the dual front discs, and the hide-a-way back seat.
The only negative with the back tire is the cost.
P.S. Didn't know the Hammer came with a 5-speed:confused:

·
Registered
396 Posts
test ride both bikes and inquire on the 2011 models,they come with
the 106c.i. 6 speed.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
The only negative with the back tire is the cost.
Metzler ME880 XXL 260/40VR-18 was only $229.95 +$10.00 shipping.
Not so bad.....

·
Registered
396 Posts
you forgot plus $100.00 to have it put on.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Depends on if you take the bike in or just the wheel - only ran me $50 taking the bike in, otherwise it would've been $35.00, still not bad....

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
$100.00 to put the tire on the rim or are you talking about installing also?

I pay $40.00 to have my tire mounted and install it myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok well then that makes things alil easier :) the 6spd was my biggest upset and an extra 6ci is always welcome coming for my 600 thats making over 100rwhp in a 385lbs package i welcome the extra power in that big heavy pig cheers......

now to all of you that have a hammer how do you guys like it ? my friend is pushing my to get a m109r instead but i like victory styling more.....im not worried about tire cost tires for my 600 run me 300+ front and rear an my buddy installs for me

·
Registered
181 Posts
good luck with the Hammer! You will really like the vic bikes!
If you can afford a new 2011, I would recommend you get it!
They have redone the transmission to make the bikes quieter,
or so that you can hear the exhaust note louder!

Have fun and ride safe!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is the 2010 100/5 open or closed loop?
I think the M109 will have more hp and torque for sure (like 118 hp 140 ft #). My problem with the M109 is the lack of chrome, especially the wheels. This make the bike look cheap. Other than that the M109 would be a great choice.

·
Registered
173 Posts
ok well then that makes things alil easier :) the 6spd was my biggest upset and an extra 6ci is always welcome coming for my 600 thats making over 100rwhp in a 385lbs package i welcome the extra power in that big heavy pig cheers......

now to all of you that have a hammer how do you guys like it ? my friend is pushing my to get a m109r instead but i like victory styling more.....
m109 is a fine bike but won't keep an american worker working.....cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is the 2010 100/5 open or closed loop?
I think the M109 will have more hp and torque for sure (like 118 hp 140 ft #). My problem with the M109 is the lack of chrome, especially the wheels. This make the bike look cheap. Other than that the M109 would be a great choice.

M109's are nice but they don't put out that much torque as specified in the above quote. Stage one Vics with an S&S intake will produce more torque than the M109. Was all set to get the M109 until I saw the Vics.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've been looking around and the HD 110 Screaming Eagle and Yamaha Raider 113 are around 100 hp +/- and 110 ft lb +/- . On the Thunder Mfg website they show with their intake the M109 at 123 hp no torque listed. I saw the 118/140 on another website.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been looking around and the HD 110 Screaming Eagle and Yamaha Raider 113 are around 100 hp +/- and 110 ft lb +/- . On the Thunder Mfg website they show with their intake the M109 at 123 hp no torque listed. I saw the 118/140 on another website.

Actually, in their stock forms, both the Yamaha and HD Screamin Eagle put out about 80 hp to the wheel. This is a fact. You'd think with all that displacement they would priduce more power but they don't. Now put and air cleaner and a set of pipes on the Raider and you've got yourself a torque monster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm kindof in the same boat I am looking at all kinds of bikes and really like the Victory... So here is my question. I am to understand form my harley budys that a sportster is good for a couple hours, softail is good for about 6 and a road king is a ride all you want... does Victory work about the same? How does a Kingpin compare to a Vegas or a Crossroads for ride time before you get really uncomfortable? I am riding the crap out of a sporster now and its not what I want!

·
Registered
181 Posts
de4lee
I came from an 04 sporty to an 06 Kingpin. I can appreciate your analysis. The KP is much more comfy and is better for longer rides than a sporty. I actually test rode a RoadKing before buying my KP. Personally, I found the KP to be a better rider, more comfy, more technologically advanced and quicker than the RK. I still love the classic look of the RK, but decided on owning a KP instead, and I am not disappointed with my decision thus far. I currently have my KP set up for solo, short distance riding, but can change that relatively quickly.

I would encourage you to go test ride what you are interested in. I did not try a CrossCountry, as I was not considering buying new.

And, by the way, I still love the sporty bikes. May own one again someday. But wouldn't trade my KP for one. No way. The KP is in a different class altogether, like comparing the sporty to a softail.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts