Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so tomorrow I'm heading town to test ride a CC and am pretty sure I'll be buying one. They have different "needs" than my Hammer S did, and I have tried reading every thread I could find, but the info is really spread out.

Only issues I see are buffeting issues on the helmet for those of us that are a bit taller (I'm 6' with a 34" inseam), and some degree of heat buildup on the rider at a stop, but I would expect that with any bagger.

I know the wimpy stock exhaust has to go, so what seems to be the most popular right now? I like loud, deep and rich. Also, if I end up with a Ness Cross Country, how does that exhaust sound? Am I still going to want to change it out?

Windshield is going to be the biggest concern. I am 6' with a 34" inseam and wear a full face helmet at all times. I don't want a ton of buffeting on my head shaking it around. I remember a short test ride over a year ago on one, and that's what it did to me. What seems to be the best "fit" for a replacement? The taller Vic screen, or the Klock Werks, or something else?

Any other ideas or things that are going to be a requirement for this bike? If it matters, I will be getting the forged crash bars too.

Thanks in advance, can't wait to be back on a Vic.

·
Registered
634 Posts
No exhaust differences on a Ness bike. They're all factory standard. You're not getting rid of the Ducati are you???

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Bandit, I can't chime in on the windscreen issue, but as far as the exhaust goes, I drilled out the baffles using a 1-1/8" hole saw as discussed way back in this forum. It resulted in the perfect sounds for me. Neighbors don't have to know when I'm going and coming, yet she really barks when I roll it on hard. That saved me hundred$.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I prefer a lower look to the WS but also didn't want the buffeting. I went through 3 aftermarkets finally settling on the Gustufson(sp) +2" with a flip. The Gus +2 (11") flip offers as good or a little better wind control than the 13" cee I was running. The flip seems, as said, to act as a +2" in and of itself so you can go 2" lower if it has a flip and equal wind control. I had all 3 at once and switched back and forth for comparision. Plus, I like the lower look so the flip worked for me both in looks and preformance. I also added a set of fork mounted lowers and I have a very comfortable ride at most any speed. BTW, I'm also 6' with maybe 32" inseam so close to you in size for WS comparision.

NOW, exhaust. I have the D&D's and I love them. Medium sound nice idle and barks some when you get on it.
That being said, A buddy has Ness Big Honkers. Those puppies are definately louder than mine by a lot. Simply at idle louder, rollon is sure louder and when we both get on it side by side I can hear his more than mine. Plus, He paid MUCH less for the Honkers than I did the D&D's.. You use your factory chrome covers with the Ness, the D&D's are all chromed from them. No reusing factory stuff. BOTH are nice exhaust upgrades for sure but if you want nice and loud the Honkers are far and away the better choice esp with the less cost.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Cams and exhaust mods. Click the links in my sig to do them yourself.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Only issues I see are buffeting issues on the helmet for those of us that are a bit taller (I'm 6' with a 34" inseam), and some degree of heat buildup on the rider at a stop, but I would expect that with any bagger.
At 6'0" and a 34" inseam, your head will actually be 2 inches lower than my head (5'10" & 29.5" inseam). If that is the case, the Klockwerk's screen should work VERY WELL for you. Let us know how it went!

·
Registered
530 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
I prefer a lower look to the WS but also didn't want the buffeting. I went through 3 aftermarkets finally settling on the Gustufson(sp) +2" with a flip. The Gus +2 (11") flip offers as good or a little better wind control than the 13" cee I was running. The flip seems, as said, to act as a +2" in and of itself so you can go 2" lower if it has a flip and equal wind control. I had all 3 at once and switched back and forth for comparision. Plus, I like the lower look so the flip worked for me both in looks and preformance. I also added a set of fork mounted lowers and I have a very comfortable ride at most any speed. BTW, I'm also 6' with maybe 32" inseam so close to you in size for WS comparision.

NOW, exhaust. I have the D&D's and I love them. Medium sound nice idle and barks some when you get on it.
That being said, A buddy has Ness Big Honkers. Those puppies are definately louder than mine by a lot. Simply at idle louder, rollon is sure louder and when we both get on it side by side I can hear his more than mine. Plus, He paid MUCH less for the Honkers than I did the D&D's.. You use your factory chrome covers with the Ness, the D&D's are all chromed from them. No reusing factory stuff. BOTH are nice exhaust upgrades for sure but if you want nice and loud the Honkers are far and away the better choice esp with the less cost.
+1 on all of this. The Gustaffson is the w/shield to get IMHO, I have the +4 but am 6'1" 32" inseam. For you the +2 or 3 should be good, looks great in the light smoke but several different tints available. Love the look of my D&D pipes, nice deep rumble. Big Honkers are a bit louder, would consider those or Witchdoctors new pipes but you won't have the sweet look of the D&D's. You can now get the D&D's with un-wrapped baffles, that may be your ticket. Would also get the Cee Bailey Flectors if you go with the forged bars to stop the buffeting.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great advice all the way around, thanks so much for taking the time to respond everyone. thumb up

Sounds like the Gustafsonn +2 screen might do the trick for me. As far as the exhaust, the Big Honkers sound closest to what I'm looking for, though you have to take sound clips on the web with a grain of salt.

Going to test ride tomorrow. Finally found a shop that'll allow for an hour+ long ride, that should be enough to allow me to settle into the bike and get the best idea for long term comfort, which always seems to be my problem.

I know the comfort of the Vision is unrivaled, and I love the adjustable windshield... But I can't get over the feeling that being under 40, I'd just look too out of place riding one. So CC it shall be....

·
Premium Member
13,157 Posts
+1 on all of this. The Gustaffson is the w/shield to get IMHO, I have the +4 but am 6'1" 32" inseam. For you the +2 or 3 should be good, looks great in the light smoke but several different tints available. Love the look of my D&D pipes, nice deep rumble. Big Honkers are a bit louder, would consider those or Witchdoctors new pipes but you won't have the sweet look of the D&D's. You can now get the D&D's with un-wrapped baffles, that may be your ticket. Would also get the Cee Bailey Flectors if you go with the forged bars to stop the buffeting.
This most closely resembles what I have found to work the best for the wind management on the XC's; Gustaffson shield and Ceeflectors. There are almost too many choices for exhaust nowadays but if you have the money; I'd bet the D&D without baffle cladding/wrap would do it for you. After all; you will want to listen to the stereo at times so you don't want it crazy loud all the time. I'd be remiss if I didn't say something about the Madstad system but it's kinda engineer looking and not for everyone.

The D&D's with the PCV w/AT, high flow air filter, and Lloydz cams should make a power hungry guy like you happy.

The rest is aesthetics and comfort. For that the Ultimate Seat's are very good if you don't find the stocker to be what you want. Maybe some HMD +2.5" handlebars, stereo upgrade, TPMS tire monitoring system (the rear valve is a pain to get to), a cup holder for those longer rides, a Utopia back rest if you stay with the stock seat - get the Police version, a passenger backrest from Victory, and whatever bling you might like for the rest of the bike. You probably know all the vendors for that stuff. Cycleops, Witchdoctor, etc.

The best bang for the buck is a good Stage 1, with cams and fuel tuner. Bump that puppy right up to 105/105 hp/tq or more. Lloydz has a new air filter that's spendy but also works with another performance enhancer coming down the pike. So you might want to look at that rather than the Victory or K&N options. It's a good feeling when you roll that throttle on and it just keeps picking up steam rather than start to fall on its face right when you need it to really go. Especially if you have a passenger.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As far as the windshield, i have the Klockwerks and love it. Only buffeting I get its above 80 and is coming from down below. I use the victory chaps for cooler riding and it eliminates it.

I also have the victory performance air filter, pcv and rpw pipes. I love the performance. After having straight pipes on my last bike these are great. A lot more than factory but not abusive to the ears.

The passenger back rest and some highway pegs on the forged bars as well.

Hope this helps. If not, you'll still love the new ride. Ride safe

Brian

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Cams and exhaust mods. Click the links in my sig to do them yourself.
Your write up, instructions, and pictures, were just Awesome on your Cam Swap !!!!!!! One of the best I have personely seen. Always wondered how the Cams were installed with out removing the engine. Now I,ll be able to have a friend of mine who is a Certified Harley Master mechanic, who has gone out on his own, and who is now really getting into working on Vics . He thinks the Victory is an awsome bike, and has been really wanting to put in a set of Cams for me. But I couldn't explain in detail how to break the engine from the Frame to Install Cams with out removing Engine. Your instructions, detail and Pics are Great !!! This is just what I been looking for.
Thank You !!!cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just to throw another option out there, I personally have the RPW exhaust on my CC and love them. I've ridden CCs with the Ness Big Honkers, and ridden with a fella who had the D&Ds. My personaly preference is the RPW. I just really like their tone, but that's just me.

The RPW are louder than the Honkers.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I'm right at 6'2" and have the Gustaffson +4 Euroflip light smoke color and have even entertained the thought of getting the +6. As far as exhaust - my 10' had the nascar6 mufflers and were very good for the price. This round I'm going with the D&D wrapped slip-ons which at anytime I can pull the baffles and remove the wrapping if they're too quiet. The only other thing/s I'm doing is a Hi-Flow air filter, and stage 1 flash at this point. If I do anything else I'll most likely limit it to cams and a fuel tuner. I had way too much $$ wrapped into my old ride and I'm not going that route again.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The RPW is louder than the Honkers? really? I have a buddy that has the Rpw's on his XC. I think they are mild and a little "tinny".

1 - 20 of 34 Posts