Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
New here...should be picking up my new 14 XC sometime this week.
Excited! Love the bike! Not loving the sound.

So Im trying to research the slip ons available. I did a search here and came up with a few. Just wanted to know if there were more out there that Im missing. I might not have the names exactly right, but u guys might understand.

D and D
Witch Doctor
Bassani
Thumper
Atom Bomb
Vance Hines (soon)
Big Honkers

Whats missing?

Anyways, this might be a dumb question.
Do I need to also get tips if I get a slip on? Depends on which?
Sorry, just not that familiar with them.
Thnx

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have D&D's. they are wrapped and sound great. The V&H are new to market and I'm sure they will please as always. Good luck and congrats on the new XC. cheers

·
Premium Member
489 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just recently put on the RC Exhaust, (at the Helen,GA rally). I like the sound, not over the top loud, but a nice rumble.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just purchased a set of slip-ons from RC Components and they sound great! You have your choice of chrome or black and about 20 different tips all for around $625.00. I'm new to Vic with a 2014 XC off of The Motor Company for 30 plus years and even my HD buddies are jealous. They have a nice deep tone at idle and not obnoxious at cruising speed, wind it up and they'll know your there. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just purchased a set of slip-ons from RC Components and they sound great! You have your choice of chrome or black and about 20 different tips all for around $625.00. I'm new to Vic with a 2014 XC off of The Motor Company for 30 plus years and even my HD buddies are jealous. They have a nice deep tone at idle and not obnoxious at cruising speed, wind it up and they'll know your there. Just my two cents.
+1 on the RCX 4.0" Mufflers

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
There is a slew of other "aftermarket OEM mods" that are similar to the Atom Bombs and those include: NASCAR6, WitchDoctor, HotVic and any of (probably) a 1/2 dozen additional ones. Some of those sound VERY nice and do a good job at retaining horsepower as well. Most of those sell around the $300-$350 mark.

You did miss the Ness Thunderheaders that I have on my bike but the ommission is warranted as they are no longer in production likely due to the $899 retail costs vs. $450 for the Ness Big Honkers (with no tips). The Ness theme was important to keep in place "from bow to stern" on my Ness bike #120. One of the things I REALLY like about them are the tips. They have the deep-cut accent and were not available aftermarket ANYWHERE Check my other threads for complete details of those extensive search efforts).

If you do go with one of those aftermarket OEM ones, you will likely also want to buy a set of custom tips. Before I picked up the ThunderHeaders, I had ordered (but not put on) the Ness ones that you see in the attached pics next to my ThunderHeaders. At right @ $300 (discounted), they are a good deal for two really SOLID chunk of chrome so keep those in mind as an option for tips if you do go aftermarket.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I have an OEM set of mufflers with the guts pulled out and the original endcaps welded back on with no other [muffler] mods. Maybe I'll take a video when I leave work today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just picked up a set of hot vic power cone hush mufflers and got them put on. Nice deep sound at idle and mean sounding when accelerating.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
You may want to find out if www.thunderheader.net is the same thing without the nice chrome tips as ndabunka has? I am also curious if you have searched the forum and seen the reams of pipe info and conversations?
I Did look in the pipes before installing them and the inside "baffle" (if you can call it that) DOES look very similar to that picture so it may well be the same company and similar core. Now these are also REALLY thick on the sidewalls as well so that is very different and you would likely have different sound from those vs. these.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have D&D's. they are wrapped and sound great. The V&H are new to market and I'm sure they will please as always. Good luck and congrats on the new XC. cheers
Another happy D&D guy!
Sound great and the slash cut looks great with the lines of the bike bags as well!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Another happy D&D guy!
Sound great and the slash cut looks great with the lines of the bike bags as well!
Same here. I put about 35,000 miles on my D & Ds and they look and sound the same as mile one. Quiet at idle and cruising down the freeway - loud deep roar when full throttle - what a great set of pipes!
cheers

·
Registered
329 Posts
There are so many choices of pipes now days and it's probably impossible to hear them all in person. I have had the RPW's on my bike for years now and I really like them. They are much louder than the stock pipes. I think they are probably very similar sounding to the Ness Big Honkers. Compared to a factory exhaust the RPW's will sound really loud. But they still are not as loud as your typical loud Harley exhaust. I really like them but I could understand why some guys would want a little quieter exhaust.

Here is a video of the RPW mufflers on my XC and the D&D Boss exhaust with the baffles unwrapped on my brothers Vision for comparison. From what I can tell the RPW's, Ness Big Honkers, and most of the "re-core" mufflers all seem to be pretty similar considering how loud they are. The D&D's are definitely quieter than the RPW's but I think they are louder than the Victory Stage 1 pipes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thnx for all the replies guys...I didn't realize there was soooo many options...haha.

I went with the atom bombs. Priced right and Bob seems like a good dude.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had the Atom Bombs on mine since the beginning of the season. I welded tail pipes on mine since they didn't come with any. Didn't want the exaust heating up the bags more than it already does. It has a nice low rumble that isn't obnoxious when you hammer it. It made just shy of 95 HP and 108 torque when dynoed at The Vic Shop in March. Also have Lloyd's air filter, timing wheel, and PC5.

·
Registered
141 Posts
D&D's

I have wrapped D&D's on my XCT they sound great nice deep sound.
I don't like real loud pipes and was worried that they would be. I bought them used, the person who sold them said they were to loud. So I almost didn't buy them. Glad I did. All my friends who ride wings say they sound great lot better than stock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts