Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gowod day, everyone. There was a problem-the rear brake on the V92SC was missing. No brake fluid leaks are visible either in the caliper area or in the main cylinder area. When the engine is not running, I pump the system - the brakes appear. As soon as I start the engine, I start driving - the rear brake disappears. Glushu, 3-4 pitching pedal-appear. I start driving - again there are no brakes. Where to climb? what to disassemble? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man, if you're not sure of what to do, better not touch that and bring your bike to a mechanic...or if you really want to fix it by yourself, check out some youtube channels like these 2 below.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
From what you say, bleed you brakes and check for air in the line. If that's ok. I would look at the master cylinder.

·
Premium Member
13,809 Posts
My experience with these is they go bad and are not rebuildable so another master cylinder must be found to replace it. However; there is a guy in Australia who, with the help of friends, was able to rebuild one. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I don't have your bike but this should work on any bike without ABS.
ABS, take it to the dealer.

Dot 4 brake fluid takes on water from the atmosphere because water vapor travels through most plastics and rubber used in brake systems. Not quickly but over time it is absorbed by the brake fluid causing brake parts to corrode and/or rust, often ruining the part. This is why you need to change it every few years on motorcycles.

I'm assuming that the brake system was working and now doesn't work on it's own. Not that someone messed with it and now it does what you described.

It's possible you have some particles from rust and corrosion stuck in the valves of the master cylinder or the bore of the master cylinder or bores of the calipers have corroded and damaged the cup seals of the master cylinder piston assembly or Orings in the calipers. Also the valve assembly in the master cylinder can become rusted to the point it no longer operates. Or you could have an air leak in your system.

Try flushing out your system with lots of fresh brake fluid.
Then rebleed the system and see if your problem has gone.

Every so often this actually works. It's worth a try.
Brake fluid is reasonably priced compared to other brake items.

Help, no breaks
Jump to Latest Follow

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

[IMG alt="Prasol"]https://www.victoryforums.com/d2/avatars/m/183/183061.jpg?1592744188[/IMG]
Prasol
Registered

Joined 3 mo ago
7 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 2 d ago
Gowod day, everyone. There was a problem-the rear brake on the V92SC was missing. No brake fluid leaks are visible either in the caliper area or in the main cylinder area. When the engine is not running, I pump the system - the brakes appear. As soon as I start the engine, I start driving - the rear brake disappears. Glushu, 3-4 pitching pedal-appear. I start driving - again there are no brakes. Where to climb? what to disassemble? What are your thoughts?

Save Share
Reply Quote

DougieKistheway
Registered

Joined 2 d ago
2 Posts
#2 2 d ago
Hey man, if you're not sure of what to do, better not touch that and bring your bike to a mechanic...or if you really want to fix it by yourself, check out some youtube channels like these 2 below.

www.youtube.com

Witchdoctor's Motorcycle Accessories
Witchdoctors is your #1 source for US made, custom Victory & Indian Motorcycle Parts. We offer a wide selection of parts and help you create the bike of your...
www.youtube.com
www.youtube.com
www.youtube.com

vicbuilder
Video's from The Vic Shop, a performance shop that works on all Victory Motorcycles, all the time!
www.youtube.com
www.youtube.com

Save Share
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="NAB"]https://www.victoryforums.com/d2/avatars/m/133/133930.jpg?1573125293[/IMG]
NAB
Premium Member

Joined Dec 14, 2015
2,465 Posts
#3 1 d ago
From what you say, bleed you brakes and check for air in the line. If that's ok. I would look at the master cylinder.

Riding: 2011 XC
Sold: 2003 Vegas
Totaled: 2003 TC, But it's still on the road.
Sold: 2004 TC
This is Just the list of Victory's. I have also rode and owned Honda's, Kawasaki's, Suzuki's, Harley's. Some old European bike. Can't remember the name. It was a 3 speed and I started riding on a 50cc bike that Sears sold. Some time around 1967. I have had my motorcycle license since 1969.

Save Share
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="BBob"]https://www.victoryforums.com/d2/avatars/m/2/2941.jpg?1573125287[/IMG]
BBob
Premium Member

Joined Aug 16, 2010
13,774 Posts
#4 1 d ago
My experience with these is they go bad and are not rebuildable so another master cylinder must be found to replace it. However; there is a guy in Australia who, with the help of friends, was able to rebuild one. Good luck!

11 XC, 04 KP
Victory Service & Parts Manuals
Victory Owners Manuals
Victory Vendors List (Partial)
Belt Sizes/Misc Info/Oils/Filters/Misc Parts
Inner Thigh Heat Shields for X-Bikes

Save Share
Reply Quote
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

I don't have your bike but this should work on any bike without ABS.
ABS, take it to the dealer.

Dot 4 brake fluid takes on water from the atmosphere because water vapor travels through most plastics and rubber used in brake systems. Not quickly but over time it is absorbed by the brake fluid causing brake parts to corrode and/or rust, often ruining the part. This is why you need to change it every few years on motorcycles.

I'm assuming that the brake system was working and now doesn't work on it's own. Not that someone messed with it and now it does what you described.
Wear gloves, don't get brake fluid on the paint or rubber parts of the bike.

Inspect everything closely.
Be sure to check that the brake line switch is tight. Don't break it, but there have been instances where they never were tightened properly when installed or changed and develop air leaks later, some times much later. Make sure the brake light switch works. These switches have a diaphragm in them that can fail allowing air to enter the system when the pedal is released .

If that all checks out and still you have the problem check the master cylinder by putting a plug that fits and seals in the outlet. Auto parts stores sell them.
If your master cylinder uses banjo fittings the aftermarket sell banjo fitting with a AN fitting on them. They are used by the custom motorcycle crowd. Be sure to order the correct size banjo fitting and fresh washers for it. There are different sizes used. You can order AN caps that will seal those fitting.

Bleed the master cylinder using the cap you installed until the pedal is solid. Make sure it stays that way over time. If it goes soft after setting a few hours you will either have to replace or rebuild the master cylinder. You should be able to leave it for a day or two and it should be just as solid a pedal as when you first bled it. If you can't get the mastercylinder to stay bled you will need to replace it or have it rebuilt.

If the master cylinder is OK. Attach a vacuum pump to the line that that you took off of it placing a brake bleed jar in the line like this one:

Pull a vacuum on the line. If all is good the line should hold a vacuum.
If not remove one section of line. Hook up the pump again to the remaining section and see if the remaining system holds a vacuum. By doing this you can locate your air leak. Could be a line or switch fitting, the good working switch, or the caliper itself. Deal with whatever it is accordingly.
Calipers can be rebuilt if the pistons and caliper body are good and if you can find the correct Orings for the pistons that are compatible with the brake fluid you intend to use brake fluid.

Don't know if kits are available for rebuilding them or not.

Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts